or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 570  

post #8536 of 48312
seems like a logical place

as i near closer to purchasing a watch (still undecided), i briefly have looked at insuring it. besides scheduling it on my homeowner's insurance are there any other options out there? homeowner's just seems the easiest to me. I was quoted $98/year for a $5K watch. doesn't seem too bad. covers theft, damage, loss, etc.
post #8537 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

seems like a logical place

as i near closer to purchasing a watch (still undecided), i briefly have looked at insuring it. besides scheduling it on my homeowner's insurance are there any other options out there? homeowner's just seems the easiest to me. I was quoted $98/year for a $5K watch. doesn't seem too bad. covers theft, damage, loss, etc.

Do you have several expensive watches that you leave at home? If so, invest in a safe.
If you only have one expensive watch, then more than likely, you'll be wearing it most of the time. $98/year? Invest in a nice handgun instead smile.gif
post #8538 of 48312
i have a couple $1000 watches that I received as gifts from my parents, but this will be my first $5K+ watch purchase. i already have a safe, but $100/year for peace of mind that "accidental loss" and "damage" is fully covered doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. i am really wondering if there are other options besides homeowners insurance.
post #8539 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

i have a couple $1000 watches that I received as gifts from my parents, but this will be my first $5K+ watch purchase. i already have a safe, but $100/year for peace of mind that "accidental loss" and "damage" is fully covered doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. i am really wondering if there are other options besides homeowners insurance.

but if say you take a trip to west philly and get mugged... and make a claim - doesnt your home owners policy increase, like significantly?
post #8540 of 48312

I want to get my father a watch for his 50th birthday this year. I came across the Pilot by Speidel and I think its an elegant timepiece. He is a pretty casual guy, so I wanted to get him something he can wear anywhere. Thoughts?pilot.jpg

post #8541 of 48312
good question. i didn't ask that. ideally, i won't be mugged and seeing that my homeowners for the year is sub $1K, i can't see the premium for that jumping a lot.
post #8542 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior varsity View Post


but if say you take a trip to west philly and get mugged... and make a claim - doesnt your home owners policy increase, like significantly?

Dude - the guy lives in Detroit - he doesn't need to go to Philly to get mugged! lol8[1].gif

Before everyone starts to hate - it's just a joke - I know there are still some very nice areas around Detroit - some of them are VERY nice.

As to insurance - the last time I spoke with my agent he offered me two options - one was simply insurance on a piece by piece basis for jewelry, and the other was a rider on my homeowners. The rider was much less expensive so I went with that for the few pieces that I actually decided to insure.

I presume you are aware that you must schedule each item individually. And that you also should keep receipts, serial numbers and photos of each item in a safe deposit box. I believe many policies actually have specific requirements for how often you must update the list. You certainly want to notify them if you sell something - as it will reduce your costs.

When it comes to easily portable items like jewelry/watches the insurance companies can get pretty cranky if you ever need to make a claim - as you can imagine. So it's much quicker to simply have all of your 'ducks in a row' in advance.

I think you also should evaluate the actual risk associated with the item. As sometimes it is just smarter to not worry about insuring against the potential loss than it is to pay insurance for 20 years on something that you could just replace if you had to. The concept is called 'self insurance'.
post #8543 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post


Dude - the guy lives in Detroit - he doesn't need to go to Philly to get mugged! lol8[1].gif

Before everyone starts to hate - it's just a joke - I know there are still some very nice areas around Detroit - some of them are VERY nice.

As to insurance - the last time I spoke with my agent he offered me two options - one was simply insurance on a piece by piece basis for jewelry, and the other was a rider on my homeowners. The rider was much less expensive so I went with that for the few pieces that I actually decided to insure.

I presume you are aware that you must schedule each item individually. And that you also should keep receipts, serial numbers and photos of each item in a safe deposit box. I believe many policies actually have specific requirements for how often you must update the list. You certainly want to notify them if you sell something - as it will reduce your costs.

When it comes to easily portable items like jewelry/watches the insurance companies can get pretty cranky if you ever need to make a claim - as you can imagine. So it's much quicker to simply have all of your 'ducks in a row' in advance.

I think you also should evaluate the actual risk associated with the item. As sometimes it is just smarter to not worry about insuring against the potential loss than it is to pay insurance for 20 years on something that you could just replace if you had to. The concept is called 'self insurance'.

Great post.
post #8544 of 48312
thanks for the post. i'm actually not IN detroit. northern suburbs. i guess for peace of mind at first, i'll pay the $100/year. at the point in time where i am not worrying about it, i can always turn it off.
Edited by bdeuce22 - 8/18/11 at 5:31pm
post #8545 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

i have a couple $1000 watches that I received as gifts from my parents, but this will be my first $5K+ watch purchase. i already have a safe, but $100/year for peace of mind that "accidental loss" and "damage" is fully covered doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. i am really wondering if there are other options besides homeowners insurance.

I actually just spoke with my insurance agent (State Farm) yesterday, and he said that my homeowners insurance covered jewelry up to a maximum of $1,500 or $5,000 (he was throwing a bunch of numbers at me, and MEGO set in). He offered me a separate personal item policy, priced at $1 per $100 of value.
post #8546 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Can any of you guys knowledgeable in repairs speak to this: I took my Oris and Seiko into one of the high end shops today to appraise service. They refused to service it stating that Seiko and Oris do not release parts to them and that all repairs for those brands have to be in house (sent back to them). This sounded like bullshit to me, since they use completely generic movements. Thoughts?

Struck out again with this at another high end jewelry shop. A poster in this thread thought I should take it to one of those mall kiosk Fast Fix joints. I didn't know those places did service on automatics. Thoughts?
post #8547 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post


Struck out again with this at another high end jewelry shop. A poster in this thread thought I should take it to one of those mall kiosk Fast Fix joints. I didn't know those places did service on automatics. Thoughts?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/watchmaker-south-florida-417732.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f22/oris=-one-most-pathetic-companies-i-have-ever-done-business-502061.html

Hope this helps.
post #8548 of 48312
Super KonTiki
500
post #8549 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

I think you also should evaluate the actual risk associated with the item. As sometimes it is just smarter to not worry about insuring against the potential loss than it is to pay insurance for 20 years on something that you could just replace if you had to. The concept is called 'self insurance'.

Not to completely contradict your post, but that is actually retention.

Self-insurance would involve the poster putting his would be premium in a secured investment to pay for either partial or total loss, thus becoming the self-insurer of the product.

bdeuce22 - look into Lloyd's of London as they often insure obscure pieces. Also, you should be able to have a separate policy that should cover you if need be, or depending on how much you have covered, move into umbrella insurance.
post #8550 of 48312
The guy doesn't need Lloyd's of London for a $5,000 watch, wtf.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)