or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 56  

post #826 of 48312
Ikarus flapped those wings very hard. Ordered on Sunday night and got here this morning by 9:30 from Germany.



Catalogue, COSC certification, Company Profile, Aluminum Box, Set of Vintage Post Cards
post #827 of 48312
Very nice. Where did you order from? Directly from Stowa? Also, what are your impressions of the watch?
post #828 of 48312
I think receiving parcels is my favorite part of the day.
post #829 of 48312
Darnit...mine has to wait long long time....bastard. - I like the steel case it came in
post #830 of 48312
Are you guys familiar with Seiko Spring Drives? Why are they so expensive? They aren't Grand Seikos are they?
post #831 of 48312
Spring drives have a lot of stuff going on mechanically inside, and the finish is pretty nice, too, but below Grand Seiko standards, I believe. I thought they were priced OK for what they offer, and you can get them nicely discounted as well.

--Andre
post #832 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiletduck View Post
Are you guys familiar with Seiko Spring Drives? Why are they so expensive? They aren't Grand Seikos are they?

Grand Seikos aren't officially available in the U.S. 'Spring Drive' refers to the type of movement used in some Seiko watches as well as a line of watches sold in the U.S. using such movements. There have been Grand Seiko watches with Spring Drive movements.

The Spring Drive differs from a standard mechanical movement insofar as it replaces the mechanical escapement with a quartz regulator. It uses no batteries, drawing a small electric charge from movement of the rotor.
post #833 of 48312
Like most anything, you can get Grand Seikos on eBay.

Here's one with an uncanny resemblance to an Omega Constellation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-rare-GRA...QQcmdZViewItem
post #834 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Like most anything, you can get Grand Seikos on eBay.

Here's one with an uncanny resemblance to an Omega Constellation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-rare-GRA...QQcmdZViewItem

Vintage GSs are very different from modern ones though. It's been a while since I read about Seiko history, but back in the late 60's/early 70's, the GS brand was produced to a different standard, and not even positioned as Seiko's highest-end line.
post #835 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacked View Post
Vintage GSs are very different from modern ones though. It's been a while since I read about Seiko history, but back in the late 60's/early 70's, the GS brand was produced to a different standard, and not even positioned as Seiko's highest-end line.

http://www32.ocn.ne.jp/~kseiya/gs/
post #836 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Grand Seikos aren't officially available in the U.S. 'Spring Drive' refers to the type of movement used in some Seiko watches as well as a line of watches sold in the U.S. using such movements. There have been Grand Seiko watches with Spring Drive movements.

The Spring Drive differs from a standard mechanical movement insofar as it replaces the mechanical escapement with a quartz regulator. It uses no batteries, drawing a small electric charge from movement of the rotor.

Thanks guys.

I was looking at the Seiko ranges to perhaps get my mom/dad for squeaks and giggles (my friend has got some inventory she has to get rid of) and spotted the Spring drives which looked quite nice.

But checking the MSRP prices out online - The new Seiko Spring Drives are listing at 3000+ USD.... definitely wouldn't run for a Seiko at that price range
post #837 of 48312
IMO the spring drive is technologically superior to all the other watches. It has the precision of quartz but a completely smooth motion. It doesn't even have the 4-5 ticks per sec you see on regular mechanical watches.
post #838 of 48312
Interesting.... Would you buy one?
post #839 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by scnupe7 View Post
Very nice. Where did you order from? Directly from Stowa?

Also, what are your impressions of the watch?

Yes directly from Stowa. As far as I know the only authorized US retailer is WatchBuys.com and I think they just have the diver.

I flipping love it. Great presentation, the movement looks great, the finishing and the case seem more "authentic" for a German pilot's watch than say the IWC Big Pilot or Glashutte Senator Navigator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiletduck View Post
Darnit...mine has to wait long long time....bastard.


- I like the steel case it came in

Are you getting the Marine??
post #840 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant View Post
I was never that impressed with the VC overseas bracelet/lug design. The first link after the lugs sits over my wrist and is really not comfortable for anyone with a smallish (<6.5") wrist. Finish and construction are both top notch. In my experience, my favorite bracelets are from the IWC Pilot line, Blancpain X-50, and, surprise, the Ulysse Nardin Marine Line. The latter features a titantium caseback that is both hypoallergenic and a poor conductor (poor conduction meaning the watch never "feels hot or cold" to the initial touch).
I completely agree. Both the AP 15300 and the VC Overseas are uncomfortable on my 6.75" wrist because of the stiff bracelet design. On the other hand, a 44mm Pam fits quite comfortably as well as the IWC Ingenieur.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)