or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 439  

post #6571 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic View Post
why isn't the roman numeral for "4", is as "IIII".

My Roman is rusty, but isn't it "IV"

FAILwatch?

Happy reading:

http://www.ubr.com/clocks/frequently...ock-dials.aspx
post #6572 of 48312
A fairly new aquisition. Dorset branded manual wind watch on a Hirsch Wild Boar strap.

I like the dial and condition is excellent.

I'm guessing late 60's early 70's.

I've come across Oris watches branded as Dorset, but as this clearly states Made in Germany I'm guessing there was a large store/company that re-branded different manufacturers watches. I've seen similar looking watches of the period from both Stowa and Junghans (my guess would be the latter) but if anyone has any further clues to the manufacturer please shout!



post #6573 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post


That's nice !
post #6574 of 48312
the dorset is great, i'd never heard of them before.
and PG i much prefer the oyster lolex to the sub, when worn with a suit.
post #6575 of 48312
Got this watch from my uncle, hopefully I'm not embarrassing myself in this thread:





I plan on wearing this watch a good amount in a business casual setting and on weekends with jeans/button shirt/t-shirt but is it too formal? Would replacing the band to brown make it less formal? I really like how thin the case is, given my own petite wrists.
post #6576 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofKent View Post
A fairly new aquisition. Dorset branded manual wind watch on a Hirsch Wild Boar strap.

I like the dial and condition is excellent.

I'm guessing late 60's early 70's.

I've come across Oris watches branded as Dorset, but as this clearly states Made in Germany I'm guessing there was a large store/company that re-branded different manufacturers watches. I've seen similar looking watches of the period from both Stowa and Junghans (my guess would be the latter) but if anyone has any further clues to the manufacturer please shout!




Fantastic looking watch!
post #6577 of 48312
Gonna ask again, what time of place do I take my 50s'/60s' not too expensive Omega watch to get repaired/lubed up?

I don't want to break the (college) bank.

Also: What type of strap would go best with a gold watch? Brown leather?
post #6578 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensanity View Post
Gonna ask again, what time of place do I take my 50s'/60s' not too expensive Omega watch to get repaired/lubed up?

I don't want to break the (college) bank.

Also: What type of strap would go best with a gold watch? Brown leather?

take to your local AD or Omega boutique, they will provide a quote as to overhaul cost.
They might even give 1 yr of warranty after service.

Otherwise, any other watch repair you are confident in.
post #6579 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI View Post
My humble collection: 3 orients and 1 hamilton
Orient Pepsi "Mako"
Orient sub
Orient 60th anniversary
Hamilton Khaki SWAT






Nice to see some orients! They don't seem that well known outside of WatchUSeek.
post #6580 of 48312
A simple gold vintage watch matches well with a dark brown/burgundy lizard/tegu strap. Good brands to look for include Hirsch, DiModell & Hadley-Roma.
post #6581 of 48312
Yea and it's a shame too because they really do make some great watches. The 60th anniversary refuses to come off the wrist. In love with the domed glass. I am contemplating selling the submariner homage, but I don't have the original bracelet.
post #6582 of 48312
Classical lines today;



/M
post #6583 of 48312
I bought this rose gold Longines watch recently and I am looking for a new strap. What colour would be best and where in London can I find them.

post #6584 of 48312
Not the greatest photo but a few for the Panerai fans from a recent Panerai dinner.

post #6585 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by culverwood View Post
I bought this rose gold Longines watch recently and I am looking for a new strap. What colour would be best and where in London can I find them.



Nice looking piece. I would stick with a dark brown strap, although black would work. Anything lighter than dark brown wouldn't give enough contrast with the gold dial.

I don't know about London stockists, but if you're happy ordering online WatchObsession (based in mid-Wales) has an e-store and also sells via Amazon and ebay. He stocks pretty much the entire Hirsch range and is very reliable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)