or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 395  

post #5911 of 48312
My sincerest congratulations on the vintage Moser. This is a beautiful looking piece but nothing beats the family legacy. This is the only watch you need and may it respectfully remain in your family for generations to come. I can put you in touch with several strap makers. PM me if you wish. Gaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
Currently looking for a strap for my watch. The bars are fixed so I'm not sure how to go about finding one...
post #5912 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Eh, I disagree. They have very different historical characters. While I don't like what IWC has done with itself, it should always be more Germanic and technical than JLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
I agree. I meant that from the perspective of their branding and the styling of their pieces. IWC has been trending towards the trendy Zenith side of things for awhile now. Of their current portfolio, I only really like the 7-Day Port and the Big Pilot.

The reason that IWC is not going for JLC is Richemont policy, for sure. IWC has for the sake of separation a more germanic (as Foo says) approach, with a more geometric design and a feel that is closer to instruments and utilization than JLCs haute horologerie approach and elegant design. Of course there are models that are cannibalizing a little (like the Port and the MC Diving) but they are separating themselves by some variables (the Port being bigger, the MC Diving far more exensive...).

/M
post #5913 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singular View Post
The reason that IWC is not going for JLC is Richemont policy, for sure. IWC has for the sake of separation a more germanic (as Foo says) approach, with a more geometric design and a feel that is closer to instruments and utilization than JLCs haute horologerie approach and elegant design. Of course there are models that are cannibalizing a little (like the Port and the MC Diving) but they are separating themselves by some variables (the Port being bigger, the MC Diving far more exensive...).

/M

Again, I am well aware of IWC's history as a Schaffhausen-based brand and their Germanic-heritage (they did, after all, help in the revival of A. Lange). Thus, their styling should certainly be different from the more expressive JLC.

My point was that all their recent pieces seem to have bolder / gaudier "look-at-me" designs and larger-and-larger sporty cases.
post #5914 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
Again, I am well aware of IWC's history as a Schaffhausen-based brand and their Germanic-heritage (they did, after all, help in the revival of A. Lange). Thus, their styling should certainly be different from the more expressive JLC.

My point was that all their recent pieces seem to have bolder / gaudier "look-at-me" designs and larger-and-larger sporty cases.

Well, that is the fact for all Richemont brands - all launching larger and more fashion-forward models, killing the brands with a zillion of LEs...

/M
post #5915 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singular View Post
Well, that is the fact for all Richemont brands - all launching larger and more fashion-forward models, killing the brands with a zillion of LEs...

/M

I dunno - while everyone is slowly moving towards larger case sizes (and I'm ok with that) - Vacheron, JLC and Lange continue to 'stay classy' and somewhat conservative across the brand (naturally with some exceptions like the Squadra). But IWC seems to be positioning itself more and more as a fashion timepiece.
post #5916 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
My point was that all their recent pieces seem to have bolder / gaudier "look-at-me" designs and larger-and-larger sporty cases.
Totally agreed. The Portuguese and pre-Mark XVI pilot watches are really gorgeous watches--things you'd wear while shooting your Leica. Now they look more like things you'd wear if you were an asshole who spray tans and wears too much cheap cologne.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post
I dunno - while everyone is slowly moving towards larger case sizes (and I'm ok with that) - Vacheron, JLC and Lange continue to 'stay classy' and somewhat conservative across the brand (naturally with some exceptions like the Squadra). But IWC seems to be positioning itself more and more as a fashion timepiece.
Well, actually all those makers have also increased their sizes. 40mm is pretty common across the board for JLC. Patek's Calatrava dials are no longer as harmonious because the cases have enlarged beyond the sizes originally intended for the movements. Lange has "Grand" versions of it's Lange 1 and enlarged some of its other models. That said, it is certainly true IWC has gone off the wall, even by the standard of its peers. Where the Portuguese use to be the largest IWC at 42mm, now it's downright modest. I liked the fact it was peculiarly, yet correctly, big for a dress watch. Now it's just a regularly small dress watch in a line-up that is overall oversized by a cartoonish margin. The Big Ingenieur is 46 mm, like the Big Pilot, but entirely useless as an "engineer" watch since it's lost the original soft iron casing for fashion's sake. Anyway, I could rant on this forever. IWC used to be my favorite watch brand. I would have put them up against Patek, Lange, anybody, for quality of craftsmanship and refinement, with a leg-up in design, but the've become a joke.
post #5917 of 48312
post #5918 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

WOW!
post #5919 of 48312
Omega Speedmaster 3573 is my choice...

A pic of it on the steel bracelet:




...and one on the black Sharkskin:

post #5920 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

porno in the bottom draw...
post #5921 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubu View Post
Omega Speedmaster 3573 is my choice... A pic of it on the steel bracelet: ...and one on the black Sharkskin:
Also try it on a blue NATO, it's fantastic.
post #5922 of 48312
...
post #5923 of 48312
or khaki (on my wrist now)
LL
post #5924 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by echau View Post
You can purchase the 3570.50.00, otherwise known as the "Moon Watch" from an AD for about 30% off MSRP (MSRP = $3850, expect to pay $2695 new). This is the manual wind, hesalite (acrylic) crystal version, and is the most true (of the current line up) to the original.

Other versions include:

3572.50.00 (Hesalite crystal, sapphire display caseback, no longer in production)
3573.50.00 (Sapphire crystal, sapphire display caseback)
3576.50.00 (Sapphire crystal, sapphire display caseback, moonphase and date functions)

I really recommend the 3750.50.00 simply because it's most true to the original, and the hesalite crystal is just beautiful. The hesalite crystal is more prone to scratching, but you can easily polish it with polywatch, or even toothpaste.

Here's mine for reference:



PM me if you'd like info on a reputable AD, or you can do more research on http://forums.watchuseek.com/index.php

Always wanted one of these.....
post #5925 of 48312
Late to the party, but here are some I like. I have a very small wrist (6") and I've emphasized items that I find aesthetically appealing over expensive movements or complications. All are manual movements. Also, I'm not rich. 8^) In order: Hamilton Tourneau (original dial), Zenith sterling silver (porcelain redial to replace cracked original), Hamilton gold-filled (redial, watch was my grandfather's), Revue 30s (daily beast).
LL
LL
LL
LL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)