or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 348  

post #5206 of 48312
Looking for this IWC Portuguese 3714-17, silver face blue hands. Finally saw one in person this week, need it now haha. Anyone have one they would like to turn over? Thanks.

post #5207 of 48312
^ that is the exact watch i am considering a trade for right now! seller in the UK tho so not much use to you if i don't do it...
post #5208 of 48312
Thread Starter 
Isn't there one for sale on B&S (FS: Other) right now?
post #5209 of 48312
^ Saw that but the guy took it off the market. Also there seem to be two dials for this model, white and silver, I have a hardon for the silver face. Though it may be possible to get them swapped out.
post #5210 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelF View Post
Also there seem to be two dials for this model, white and silver, I have a hardon for the silver face. Though it may be possible to get them swapped out.
I have the 3714-17 and I could be wrong, but I have never seen a 3714 with blued markers/hands and a "white" face. Most likely, it comes off as white in some pictures, and silver in others. It looks much more white than silver in person. I'd be glad to accommodate pictures with different lighting if you're curious.

It's a very nice piece and I love it more than any other watch I own or have owned. Be "warned" though...pictures can definitely be deceiving on this one because the majority of the images are meant to capture the blued hands/markers as the defining feature of the dial. In reality, 95% of the time the hands and markers are going to appear black...as is the strap. I have had more than a few people "argue" that the strap was in fact black. To me, this is a positive because the watch is more versatile with the blue/black tightrope but I catch a pleasant surprising glimpse of the blue a few times a day.
post #5211 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
agreed- here's another...

Definitely my next watch. Lovely
post #5212 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMan View Post
I have the 3714-17 and I could be wrong, but I have never seen a 3714 with blued markers/hands and a "white" face. Most likely, it comes off as white in some pictures, and silver in others. It looks much more white than silver in person. I'd be glad to accommodate pictures with different lighting if you're curious.

I thought that was a possibility and thanks very much for the clarification. Have unfortunately passed on some used pieces because of the pics and dial description as "white", have to see if any are still available. The watch I saw last week definitely had the silver face.

Also no problem personally as to the black-blue numerals and strap, I tend to like that kind of color ambiguity. Nice to hear more good words on this watch.
post #5213 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenStyle View Post
Definitely my next watch. Lovely

thanks, i love the explorer, but to be honest i am starting to find it a little small on my wrist now i've got used to the speedy, think i may eventually move it on. a real shame as it is in many ways my perfect watch
post #5214 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
thanks, i love the explorer, but to be honest i am starting to find it a little small on my wrist now i've got used to the speedy, think i may eventually move it on. a real shame as it is in many ways my perfect watch

PM me if you decide to sell it
post #5215 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
thanks, i love the explorer, but to be honest i am starting to find it a little small on my wrist now i've got used to the speedy, think i may eventually move it on. a real shame as it is in many ways my perfect watch


Didn't Rolex come out with a slightly bigger model?
It has a couple of issues, but it sounds like it could be the answer to your problem.
post #5216 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelF View Post
Looking for this IWC Portuguese 3714-17, silver face blue hands. Finally saw one in person this week, need it now haha. Anyone have one they would like to turn over? Thanks.


That's a gorgeous watch. How thin are they, usually?
post #5217 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
That's a gorgeous watch. How thin are they, usually?

you mean, 'how THICK are they?'...

about 12.25mm from memory. I've tried it on a couple times and it's a thick watch
post #5218 of 48312
^They are certainly not thin. They use the Valjoux 7750 Chrono movement which is pretty thick. I think it is 12.5mm.
post #5219 of 48312
^ 40 x 12.5 I'd say is substantial but not huge for a normal size wrist.

Best price I'm seeing online new is $5100 from Watchmaxx which I believe is not an AD. Any major disadvantages going non-AD? Have had a good past experience w Watchmaxx. Other possible sources? Thanks.
post #5220 of 48312
The disadvantage would be that IWC usually won't honor warranty work sold by grey market. The Valjoux 7750 is a proven and robust movement and you could probably find a watchmaker to repair it with little difficulty in the rare case it needed it, but if something happened with the watch itself, you'd be out of luck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)