Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3196  

post #47926 of 48312

Nice bracelet; more like the previous model, and with more than a hint of Nautilus about it.  The 1630 date is a bit too reminiscent of Longines and a dozen other 7750-ish chronos, and nothing else about it is really exciting me.  That fancy movement and its shiny rotor on display is something, but with the expected list price, there are a lot of other shiny things out there.

 

However, as someone who likes the current edition, I can only be delighted by your faultless observation that this should mean some good deals on the "old" model: mint used ones are in the $12-13k range I think, for a blue dialed chrono.  Take, what, 20% off that in the next year?  I might be able to risk all kinds of relationship breakdowns to get there.

post #47927 of 48312
New Lange stuff looks nice. New JLC peretual is cool, but will suffer from the previously hashed out problems.
post #47928 of 48312

Mixed feeling on the new Overseas chrono here - while I appreciate the new movement and gorgeous rotor I am on the fence about what looks to me like unnecessarily busy dial with excessive markings, white background date at 4:30 with a shiny metal border.  I love how they faceted the hands and hour markers, the new watch will surely sparkle on par with AP 15400.

 

I agree with DIJr about the odd transition from the case to the bracelet, it just doesn't rhyme with the Overseas aesthetic somehow.  But of course the new quick easy-fit switch system for bracelet and straps is a very welcome feature.

 

It could be just me but it seems VC are trying to allow the Overseas line to reach well into the higher quality and price tier with the ultra-thin models.  Particularly so with the introduction of time only model which will only be offered in white gold.  Since it will be only sold in boutiques getting one through grey dealers at usual discount will be problematic.

 

Overall, the Overseas refresh is a mixed bag.  I am still trying to decide if I like the new chrono case and bracelet look, so far the current (2004 model) seems to appeal a little more to me, so I'll probably be keeping mine.

post #47929 of 48312
Well as while back I asked the question here about what kind of dress watch I should get to commemorate a big career event. I got a lot of great feedback and some insightful responses. I was fortunate enough to pick it up this weekend and I'm very pleased with my decision. My dress watch half of the equation is now complete with the Basculante in steel and now this (special thanks to Dino for planting the seed). Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Edited by MZhammer - 1/18/16 at 9:41am
post #47930 of 48312

Probably not news to most of you, but Hodinkee has what I would say is excellent coverage of SIHH thus far.  You can get it from the app, which I have but haven't accessed for SIHH yet.  Otherwise just go to the site and at the top you'll see a link.  Plenty of photos and they've already written a few articles in a short span of time.  Very good coverage so far.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

Well as while back I asked the question here about what kind of dress watch I should get to commemorate a big career event. I got a lot of great feedback and some insightful responses. I was fortunate enough to pick it up this weekend and I'm very pleased with my decision. My dress watch half of the equation is now complete with the Basculante in steel and now this (special thanks to Dino for planting the seed). Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

 

You took the picture upside down!  ;) 

post #47931 of 48312

I'll be honest and say that I don't know enough about movements and that I'm more into how the watch looks on my wrist than the caseback, but this is breathtaking:

 

post #47932 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA View Post

I'll be honest and say that I don't know enough about movements and that I'm more into how the watch looks on my wrist than the caseback, but this is breathtaking:


How are you supposed to tell the time? New AP royal oak looks amazing
post #47933 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin100 View Post

Really wish Lange made the 1 in steel. 
why?
post #47934 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

They did, but they stopped making them I believe sometime in the late 90s.  The steel ones are relatively rare and when they do show up at auctions or in the pre-owned market, they go for well into six figures.  
due to rarity or something else?
post #47935 of 48312
I would guess it is due to rarity.

I do not like the new VC Overseas. Date placement and certain other details are not to my taste. I actually do really like the current one with blue dial - it is lovely.
post #47936 of 48312
Not a big PAM guy - something about them looking better in photos than in the flesh (to me), but this is pretty damn cool:


Lo Scienziato Luminor 1950 Tourbillon GMT
post #47937 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarDubaibanker View Post

How are you supposed to tell the time? New AP royal oak looks amazing

It's usually difficult to tell the time from looking at the back of watches.
post #47938 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by agp View Post


It's usually difficult to tell the time from looking at the back of watches.

 

Only for amateurs.

post #47939 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

They did, but they stopped making them I believe sometime in the late 90s.  The steel ones are relatively rare and when they do show up at auctions or in the pre-owned market, they go for well into six figures.  
due to rarity or something else?

I think the steel ones were meant to be service loaners.
post #47940 of 48312
Crazy, but I kind of like that looks of that Panerai beast, too.

And I'm not much into the "skeleton" or open-worked stuff in general*.

Would love to see how it holds up in person, and on the wrist.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)