Actually, I think I've called the Pano the L1's far less attractive sister.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 11:43 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 9:48 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3195post #47911 of 483121/17/16 at 4:33ampost #47912 of 483121/17/16 at 7:19ampost #47913 of 483121/17/16 at 8:13amQuote:
I'm sure you've heard the old joke -- "To make a small fortune collecting watches, start with a large fortune." Very few watches, mainly select Pateks and Rolexes, will increase in value. I own one of the very first GO Panomatic Dates in stainless steel; the movement and case numbers are both under 10. This model has long been discontinued, as the PMD never caught on with the watch-buying public to the same extent as its brother, the Panomatic Lunar. I am under no illusions that I would be able to recoup what I paid for it (just under $5K). But over ten years later, I still enjoy wearing it. So if you like the Pano Reserve, and can get a good price on it (I advise gently pre-owned), go for it.post #47914 of 483121/17/16 at 8:52ampost #47915 of 483121/17/16 at 9:14ampost #47916 of 483121/17/16 at 10:55amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Not my thing, but putting that aside: the bolder something is, the less enduring and versatile, so maybe it would indeed get old. What it reminds me of, though, is various 70s sport chronos. I think perhaps you should look at vintage Heuers and the like, and you might find the same fun but with more cachet and less depreciation.
Funny you mention vintage Heuers because I was thinking of the Monaco myself, albeit the most recent tribute. For Heritage Chrono money, in most cases slightly more, you can get the most recent Monaco tribute which from what I understand is the most similar to the original. Of course the Monaco, Silverstone, etc are different animals and a Carrera is more along the lines of the Heritage Chrono, but the Monaco for me screams 70s as well.post #47917 of 483121/17/16 at 12:59pmpost #47918 of 483121/17/16 at 4:57pmpost #47919 of 483121/17/16 at 6:22pmpost #47920 of 483121/17/16 at 6:28pmpost #47921 of 483121/17/16 at 6:41pmpost #47922 of 483121/17/16 at 7:56pmAnyone here good with Omegas?
I have one in hand that I could use help assessing:
I took it to the Omega boutique in and Hutton two weeks ago and the watchmaker there opened it up to have a look. The movement is fine and it works but it needs to be re-lubricated a new seals need to be installed. The acrylic crystal is cracked and needs to be replaced. Everything else is rocksolid. They told me it's circa 1960s. Markings and all the numbers are as follows:
- Calibre: 601
- Case reference: 135012
- movement: 25026447
...... Aside from the above they told me that they cannot help with identifying or apraising. Any thoughts?
Edited by Selvedged - 1/18/16 at 10:46ampost #47923 of 483121/18/16 at 3:26am
For fans of the VC Overseas if you have not seen their website there are big changes revealed for 2016... new movements (very cool 22kt rotor and exhibition back), dials, hands, cases, bracelets, and bezels appear to have been modified, and in steel they will be equipped with a bracelet, rubber strap, gator strap and a quick change mechanism. In addition, to the new chronograph, and standard time only models they will have an ultra thin perpetual calendar and a time only ultra thin to compete with AP's ultrathin RO both in WG (although VC will essentially be using the same base movement as AP, for them its called cal 1120 rather than 2120) I was never a fan of the present generation models, so it will be interesting to see the new ones in the metal.post #47924 of 483121/18/16 at 5:34am
Yeah, I saw that. Not sure I'm in love with the new aesthetic; something looks off with the transition from case to bracelet. Could be just the way they are shown on the website though. And as nice as that new movement looks, I like the overseas with a solid case back. Also not a big fan of the new date window on the chronograph.post #47925 of 483121/18/16 at 6:33amQuote:Originally Posted by DLJr
Yeah, I saw that. Not sure I'm in love with the new aesthetic; something looks off with the transition from case to bracelet. Could be just the way they are shown on the website though. And as nice as that new movement looks, I like the overseas with a solid case back. Also not a big fan of the new date window on the chronograph.
There are elements of the new one that I find appealing. I've never liked a grand date on the chrono, so the standard date for me is a welcomed change (although I think in keeping with the sporty theme they should not have outlined it with a white metal), as are the uniformly sized subdials, and I always had mixed feelings about the faux link next the the bezel at 12 and 6 as it wasn't really a great tie in to the bracelet. The exhibition backs don't bother me, as I suppose they want to show off their new in house caliber particularly on the chrono. Still, there are elements that don't appeal to me, and like you I also found the transition from case to bracelet looking a bit odd.
For those of us that were never fans of the second generation Overseas, it could potentially bring us back into the fold if its really impressive in person. While for those who loved the 2nd generation, it could be the right time to start searching for a nice deal on one before the supply of new ones dries up. Cheers!
PS...I think there are a good number of VC fans who are going to be disappointed as I've seen many posts in past months with collectors hoping for a Les Historiques collecton addition in the form of a modern (larger) revival of VC's Jorg Hysek designed 222.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 4 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 9 minutes ago
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 9 minutes ago
- › Marlow Cordovan Loafer 13D NIB 9 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...