or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3171  

post #47551 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

A humble pic contribution, picked up a dress watch and really liked the race inspired details in this Tag Carrera Date. I understand the Tag brand is not well liked in the watch world, but i'm enjoying it:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Life is short, wear what is going to make you happy. Don't get caught up in the echo chamber of this or other sites, or the group think of mental masturbation and elitism that makes up horology. Bottom line is that it is a little machine on your wrist. If it tells the time, it is doing its job. If it provides you any more benefit than that, then it is doing more than its job and you should consider it money well spent.

post #47552 of 48312

Some of my best friends are TAGs.

post #47553 of 48312

I put my Spectre Seamaster on a different Nato strap today. The Omega one that it comes on is superb, but I felt like a change. This one is perhaps more seasonal.

 

post #47554 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

A humble pic contribution, picked up a dress watch and really liked the race inspired details in this Tag Carrera Date. I understand the Tag brand is not well liked in the watch world, but i'm enjoying it:

Welcome and thanks for sharing a photo.  I really like some of their vintage inspired modern pieces, and the vintage Heuer chronographs are very cool.  

post #47555 of 48312
OK, guys. You convinced me. I am taking my old Autavia in to be serviced.
post #47556 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

OK, guys. You convinced me. I am taking my old Autavia in to be serviced.

Do it !!!  

post #47557 of 48312
2015

Out - nowt - I'm not a seller.
In - the trusty Speedy. Why did I wait so long?

2016

Expecting a lump of cash in Q2. Really want one or both of the following (likely to get one through the house accounts, but not both):

- Vintage Rolex Pepsi GMT
- Cartier rose gold CPCP Tortue

Most likely to be the Cartier as I'm long sports watches and short dress watches. A couple of Tortues have come to my attention recently but sadly not with papers, which I could live with, but I just prefer. We'll see what's around next year.
post #47558 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by velomatt View Post

Life is short, wear what is going to make you happy. Don't get caught up in the echo chamber of this or other sites, or the group think of mental masturbation and elitism that makes up horology. Bottom line is that it is a little machine on your wrist. If it tells the time, it is doing its job. If it provides you any more benefit than that, then it is doing more than its job and you should consider it money well spent.

Well said smile.gif
post #47559 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

Expecting a lump of cash in Q2. Really want one or both of the following (likely to get one through the house accounts, but not both):

- Vintage Rolex Pepsi GMT
- Cartier rose gold CPCP Tortue

Most likely to be the Cartier as I'm long sports watches and short dress watches. A couple of Tortues have come to my attention recently but sadly not with papers, which I could live with, but I just prefer. We'll see what's around next year.

Both are nice possible additions!

 

A friend of mine recently acquired a time only CPCP Tortue XL in platinum which is stunning.   Yes, its a shame some folks don't keep the papers, or they sell the watch with or without the classic red box, but they keep the wooden display box, loupe, and polishing cloth which also came with the CPCP pieces.  I love the CPCP pieces. When they were new they were very under appreciated, but they seem to be getting more attention from collectors these days. 

 

Wishing you luck on those additions!

post #47560 of 48312

My first 'high-end' watch so to speak!

 

 

post #47561 of 48312
2016 with a little bit of luck: VC Patrimony Traditionnelle Small Seconds and maybe an interesting chrono. Lange has been growing on me steadily though.
post #47562 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerkong View Post

My first 'high-end' watch so to speak!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





The box alone looks impressive. Well done.
post #47563 of 48312
Enjoying it every day.

post #47564 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Sad to see the Jo Siffert go.  I really like some of the old Heuer chronographs, in particular the Autavia.  Glad to hear you still have one in the collection.  I was never a fan of the 1655 when I was younger.  

I got my first good watch, a Rolex GMT 16750 when I was a teenager, and the 1655 was still available.  I remember looking in catalogs and thinking what a strange looking dial, and I couldn't see the point of owning a sort of GMT looking watch that couldn't be used to tell time in a 2nd time zone.  However, over the years its quirkiness has grown on me.  So I think its a fun purchase, even if the GMT is a bit more practical by offering the ability to tell time in another time zone. I looked at a 1655 a few months ago when a reputable shop got one in, but I didn't like its condition, nor did I like the uneven coloring of the tritium markers on the dial.  Some were very tan, some were not.  For the price, it just wasn't worth it.  If I were you I would probably source a new bezel for this piece, wear it and let it get its natural patina and skip the polish of the case/bracelet, but that's just me.  

VC makes a beautiful watch.  However, I just can't seem to warm up to the VC Patrimony Contemporaine.  I've tried it and it just looks too bland to me when I look at it on my wrist.  If I were going to get one it would be the Patrimony Traditionelle.  I like its case and the the gray treatment around the subdial and minute track.  I was offered a very nice deal on one, but as it wasn't bonus time, I decided to pass.  
But here it was in WG.




Interesting game you guys play.  

Out:  None.  I don't trade or sell often.  I had an unsolicited offer on my Oysterquartz, but when I thought about selling, even at good money, I was concerned I'd regret it  (and I am the original owner with a full set).   

IN:
My only addition for 2015 was the Rolex BLNR.  Its been several years since I purchased more than 1 watch in a year.  I just find if I do, I don't tend to give them the wrist time they deserve and I don't really bond with them.  So usually its 1 a year for me tops.  I liked the BLNR from the moment I saw it, in person.  Interestingly, Mrs. Dino liked it a lot too even though she was never a fan of the classic Pepsi GMTs.  She thought the red and blue looked a bit too colorful and silly.  However, she thought the black and blue was more subdued and attractive.  I 'm very happy with it.  I wish the center links of the bracelet were brushed (to hide finger prints and light scratches), but its not a big deal. 



For 2016:
At this time in the year, I usually keep my options open, waiting to see what comes out at SIHH and Basel.  Unless of course some item I had been waiting for becomes available, or I stumble on a great deal.

Still a few pieces that I've pondered adding in the future, a JLC Reverso Ultrathin.  I've never owned a Reverso, and find its history and design very cool.  It is one of the sportiest dress watches that works well regardless of the occasion or attire.  

Much to the dislike of Mrs. Dino, I've considered picking up a Pepsi GMT Master II.  It would need to be a relatively recent one in great shape with a full set, box, papers, hang tags (because I'm crazy...and I like all that stuff, even though as my friends say, I can't wear the box and papers).   

Those are probably two of the more likely candidates if I were to do something in 2016.  Who knows, I might sit on the sidelines this year, wait to see what really speaks to me and eventually go with something completely different than the above ideas.  Cheers!

I don't usually watch that, but I am glad I saw it.  I always wondered who William Massena was, as I had seen his posts on TZ for many years.  I agree, it was an interesting opinion regarding one watch guys.  If I had to I could pare my collection down considerably.  I'm not sure I could pare it down to one watch, as some have sentimental value or mark certain accomplishments.  Still I do think what he said was very interesting.  I also liked what he said about many companies offerings becoming more style over substance and people being more wrapped up in the money than the actual watches and what the do.   

Loving the Batman, everyone has the sub and although I think its great its just too ubiquitous. I'm after a sport watch at the moment its either going to be a GMT, man on the moon or explorer 2. I would like a nautilus but its just a bit out of range at the moment......if anyone would like to trade suits for watches do let me know....
post #47565 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Both are nice possible additions!

A friend of mine recently acquired a time only CPCP Tortue XL in platinum which is stunning.   Yes, its a shame some folks don't keep the papers, or they sell the watch with or without the classic red box, but they keep the wooden display box, loupe, and polishing cloth which also came with the CPCP pieces.  I love the CPCP pieces. When they were new they were very under appreciated, but they seem to be getting more attention from collectors these days. 

Wishing you luck on those additions!

Thanks, Dino. As you know, I'm a fan of your CPCP tank. With the tortue I actually like the smaller size. I saw an XL with a couple of complications but the hands looked too spindly for the size of watch. The smaller one looks well balanced.

I'd definitely want the loup and other toys. I guess the papers give some comfort and interest, but if sans papers means cheaper I could live with that as I'd never sell it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)