Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 5:09 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3168post #47506 of 4831212/9/15 at 2:39pmpost #47507 of 4831212/9/15 at 3:18pmpost #47508 of 4831212/9/15 at 3:25pmpost #47509 of 4831212/9/15 at 3:44pmpost #47510 of 4831212/9/15 at 4:38pmpost #47511 of 4831212/9/15 at 5:31pmpost #47512 of 4831212/9/15 at 5:34pmpost #47513 of 4831212/9/15 at 6:05pmQuote:
Panerai makes some very nice watches. However, as with most things, once an item is in a certain price range, other options might make more sense. Cheers!Quote:
The Submariner looks great and the Egg Nogg looks delicious! Your photo could make for a nice holiday advertisement for Rolex! Wishing you a quick recovery my friend!post #47514 of 4831212/9/15 at 6:43pmpost #47515 of 4831212/9/15 at 7:42pmpost #47516 of 4831212/9/15 at 7:42pmThanks guys. Starting to feel a little better. My tongue actually feels worse than the tooth, as the dentist accidentally sliced the former while polishing another tooth which received a filling and the resultant wound required three stitches. Liquid diet for me so far.post #47517 of 4831212/9/15 at 11:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by SteveH35
Alright dudes, just to get the taste out of our mouths, here's a wrist shot from today. Full disclosure, this watch is for sale, but it's still mine, on my wrist, and a dope watch. Plus I'm considering keeping it. The Datograph is probably my overall favorite watch from a big brand of the last 20 years.
Also watches do happen to be a subject I know something about, so I'm happy to answer any and all questions. I've seen and handled almost every watch you can think of. How's that for valuable to the forum @mimo?
It's also possibly my ultimate grail watch. You couldn't have replied any better. I will shut up now; sorry.post #47518 of 4831212/10/15 at 12:37ampost #47519 of 4831212/10/15 at 2:33ampost #47520 of 4831212/10/15 at 4:25amI have just received my Shaftesbury watch from Garrick.
This is a bespoke result that hit my concept on the nail which is not necessarily the case first time with clothes and shoes.
If you want to read more about the build process it is below.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Garrick London, was established by David Brailsford and Simon Michlmayr FBHI in 2014. David is an entrepreneur and watch collector and Simon is a watchmaker following in the footsteps of his Austrian father who established his clock and watch business in 1958. Simon was tutored by Peter Roberts at The Hackney College, gained further experience at WOSTEP in Neuchatel before started his own watch and clock making company in 1986.
I chose the company’s first watch design the Shaftesbury SM301 which is assembled in Norwich, Norfolk, UK.
The case and crown are made of stainless steel 316L. They are manufactured in England and finished by Garrick. The case measures 42mm in diameter, 12.5mm deep with 20mm lugs. The machined brass dial, the hands and chapter rings are produced in-house, and are finished to order.
The company uses a Swiss movement in the SM301 model, but significantly modifies it. The basic movement is a manual wind NOS Unitas 6498.1 movement enhanced to Garrick’s specification in house. Garrick sources its balance spring from Nivarox. The free-sprung balance wheel is manufactured from Invar as it is an alloy with a very low coefficient of expansion, making it temperature stable and delivering consistent results.
The movement includes a free-sprung balance, designed and produced in-house. The length of the balance spring is fixed. Small adjustment screws are positioned in-board, affixed to the spokes of the balance wheel, so as not to disrupt the airflow of the oscillating wheel. Adding the free sprung balance means that the Shaftesbury is regulated to +3 seconds.
The open bridges are plated and finished and hand-bevelled and the screws are thermally blued by hand.
There were a few bespoke changes in the design of my watch:
• Case – Grained on the top of the lugs. The sides, case-back and bezel are polished. (Standard finish on the SM301 is fully polished.)
• Dial – Cream with stainless steel screws
• Chapter rings and hands – Matt very dark grey
• Movement – Gold plated with Cotes de Geneve
• Crown – Cylindrical Hoxton barrel
A bespoke item that caused a problem during the manufacture was achieving the correct colour of all the hands and chapter rings, the rhodium plating of the very small seconds hand to match the other two hands and chapter ring proved very difficult / impossible due to its diminutive size.
This was eventually resolved after six attempts by DLC coating the hands and chapter rings instead.
Page and Cooper helped me specify the watch I wanted and delivered it to me when it had been made. The buying process was efficient and friendly.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 1 minute ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 17 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 22 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 23 minutes ago
- › Double-Breasted Wool Coat 30 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 33 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread 34 minutes ago
- › New Tie - What to wear with it? 45 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...