or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3156  

post #47326 of 48312

Breathing new life into my 15 years young Speedy reduced with a new strap.
post #47327 of 48312

Cuteness level overload!

post #47328 of 48312

 

I went all out this year lol added these two after purchasing the Chopard

edit* I forgot about my SD lol! This hobby is such a financial burden

 

post #47329 of 48312

Kicking tires in Knightsbridge at the Omega Boutique.

 

I finally got a chance to handle the Globemaster.

 

 

Wasn't crazy about it to be honest. It certainly is a handsome enough watch, and an achievement of a movement. But it felt so derivative on so man levels and the case was... well... nothings to get crazy about.

 

 

 

 

 

I did rather like the DeVille Tresor in white gold with textured silver dial.

 

But what was going on with that date window? Something out of alignment?

 

 

 

 

The caseback sure was lovely to look at.

 

 

My GMT making friends.

 

post #47330 of 48312
Anyone has experience with authenticwatches or watchesonnet, there some good deals on Omega (yes I realize they're not AD...)
post #47331 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post


I did rather like the DeVille Tresor in white gold with textured silver dial.



But what was going on with that date window? Something out of alignment?

Based on the time, I think that the gears are starting to change the date.
post #47332 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

As long as it went to a boutique, it will be fine since they will send it to the main service center for you.  I always tell people NOT to use an AD or gray to send it in for service if you want to be sure that it is serviced by a factory authorized service center.  A friend of mine bought a Breitling chronograph from a big name AD that will remain nameless, and when it was due for a service he brought it there and asked them to send it in for service. When the watch was returned to him it had problems and he wasn't happy with the refinishing of the watch, so brought it back to the AD.  They said they would send it back to the service center.  When it came back it had some other problem and he wasn't happy with the re-do of the refinish so he called the Breitling service center directly.  He discovered they had no record of the watch and that they never worked on it, so the AD either tried doing the work inhouse or sent it to a local place rather than sending it directly to the manufacturer's service center (to try and pocket the difference between a factory service and the local service guy).  My friend complained to the AD but he ultimately solved the issue by trading it toward something else.  However, he learned if you want factory service, bring it to a boutique or send it directly to the factory service center yourself.  Cartier has pretty fast turn around times so you should have it back again pretty soon (if the holidays don't slow the service department down too much).  Cheers!

Just got off the phone with the boutique - $650 for a full service including case/bracelet polish.
post #47333 of 48312
Grats on your recent acquisitions guys!

Came across this particular watch that intrigued me deeply.
And the cost was much less i was expecting. Could the brand be the reason? Because the material:rose gold case/gold bridge/4 sided sapphire crystal and design is impeccable.
I'm talking abt the corum 50th anniversary golden bridge. Ard the 12kish usd mark.
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this watch?
post #47334 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post


Just got off the phone with the boutique - $650 for a full service including case/bracelet polish

Yes, that's about what my wife's large auto TF cost to service.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novelty77 View Post

Grats on your recent acquisitions guys!

Came across this particular watch that intrigued me deeply.
And the cost was much less i was expecting. Could the brand be the reason? Because the material:rose gold case/gold bridge/4 sided sapphire crystal and design is impeccable.
I'm talking abt the corum 50th anniversary golden bridge. Ard the 12kish usd mark.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this watch?

The low price is a combination of the brand and the skeleton design.  Corum, as a brand has never had a very strong following so it generally does poorly in the second hand market.  In the past they have made some elegant dress watches, but they've also made some weird watches like the Rolls Royce Grill watch, the gold bullion watch, and the ugly bubble watches.  Their sports watches from the Admirals Cup were ok looking many years ago, and then got sort of ugly and bulky, much like some of Zenith's sports watches from about 10 years ago.

 

Skeleton designs are something only to be purchased pre-owned, as they are very expensive new, have limited resale value and can be tough to resell (even when they are made by PP, AP, or VC).  It's cool to see all the parts finished and engraved, but a lot of collectors don't care for them.  One of the biggest issues is that people say, it looks great on a white piece of paper or when held up in the air.  However, I've heard lots of people say, they don't like seeing their skin and wrist hair through the watch.  Hence, more people seem to enjoy/prefer an exhibition back to a fully skeletonized watch.  

 

In general the golden bridge watch is interesting and has been around for a number of years.  I think they were first shown many years ago with round cases.  While the concept is cool, I don't think I'd park $12K in one.  But if it puts a smile on your face, go for it!  Cheers!

post #47335 of 48312
I agree - interesting concept but I don't want to see my hairy wrist through the dial.
post #47336 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb89 View Post




I went all out this year lol added these two after purchasing the Chopard
edit* I forgot about my SD lol! This hobby is such a financial burden



Is that a PAM 557? Do you wear it on your right hand?
post #47337 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze_rob View Post

Is that a PAM 557? Do you wear it on your right hand?

yes sir 557! no, on my left. crownguard is big so didnt want it to dig into my wrist and something different smile.gif
post #47338 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

The low price is a combination of the brand and the skeleton design.  Corum, as a brand has never had a very strong following so it generally does poorly in the second hand market.  

Skeleton designs are something only to be purchased pre-owned, as they are very expensive new, have limited resale value and can be tough to resell (even when they are made by PP, AP, or VC).  It's cool to see all the parts finished and engraved, but a lot of collectors don't care for them.  One of the biggest issues is that people say, it looks great on a white piece of paper or when held up in the air.  However, I've heard lots of people say, they don't like seeing their skin and wrist hair through the watch.  Hence, more people seem to enjoy/prefer an exhibition back to a fully skeletonized watch.  

Thanks for the insight on collector's view on skeleton design. Abit similar to the cariter .

Indeed it does look grotesque. Skin colour and the dial doesnt match up. Well i'll still go try it on and see how it looks on my wrist. I'm particularly interested in this watch mostly because of its artistic aspect. The golden bridge reminds me of a chinese goddess holding 2 swords at the 10:10.the balance wheel look like a circle of aura radiating from the head.


But i guess its like u said. It only looks good on white background.
post #47339 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty77 View Post


Thanks for the insight on collector's view on skeleton design. Abit similar to the cariter .

Indeed it does look grotesque. Skin colour and the dial doesnt match up. Well i'll still go try it on and see how it looks on my wrist. I'm particularly interested in this watch mostly because of its artistic aspect. The golden bridge reminds me of a chinese goddess holding 2 swords at the 10:10.the balance wheel look like a circle of aura radiating from the head.

But i guess its like u said. It only looks good on white background.

 

 

As you can see, I had the same hairy wrist issue when trying on the above 2 skeletonized Cartiers, one of which apparently, you have also tried.  I think the skin and hair ia going to be an even bigger issue with the Golden Bridge Corum you are looking at because of the very small movement relative to the case size, which results in very large open sections where your wrist will be visible through the sapphire crystal.  I agree, skeletonized watches are a true art form, one that is often forgotten and under appreciated in a modern world of over sized watches.     Only you can decide if this is the watch for you.  However, as mentioned, if you decide to buy it get the best deal you can possibly get, and try to be sure its a keeper, as this could be a very very difficult watch to resell, or you might lose a lot when you sell or trade it, both because of its skeletonized design and the brand.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

post #47340 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty77 View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80


Can anyone give me their thoughts on this watch?
Love the case.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)