Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3154  

post #47296 of 48312
Vintage "pre-moon", 1970 Speedmaster Pro:



/C
Edited by Clark - 11/23/15 at 3:58am
post #47297 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Just send it directly to Cartier.  There is no reason to get an AD involved as there is nothing they will specifically do to improve your service from Cartier.  They are merely a middleman who will charge you a shipping fee.  Cartier's turn around time for servicing time only watches is pretty good.  We just had my wife's large/automatic Tank Francaise overhauled and it was back to us in under a month.  Obviously turn around time varies by how busy they are and how complicated the repair/service is.  Good luck!

P.S.  Call their customer service  1(800) CARTIER ...for shipping instructions to send it to their service center.  Don't just send it to a local Cartier Boutique, as that will slow the process because they will then mail it to the service center. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

Before sending it in, you might want to check if it's been magnetized. That happened to my Nomos and it took me about 10 seconds to demagnetize. Let me rephrase, it took me 3 days and 10 seconds because I had to order a demagnetizer from Amazon or eBay first and wait for the mail. Finding someone who can demagnetize your watch, if that's the problem should be no relatively easy and it doesn't involve opening up the watch so there is virtually no risk of damage. Hopefully this saves you from having to send your watch in.

Thanks guys - I thought it might need to be demagnetized, but decided to send it in anyway as it's due for a service. Missed the part above about sending it directly to the service center and sent it to the (most local, though still relatively far) boutique as I already have a relationship with the manager there from some other items. Expect to have more information hopefully this week.
post #47298 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Male View Post
 

I wonder if pricing might have to start coming back down to earth, too?

 

Swiss Watch Exports Fall Most in Six Years

 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-19/swiss-watch-exports-fall-12-in-october-on-hong-kong-slump

 

The numbers:

 

http://www.fhs.ch/file/59/comm_151010_a.pdf

 

Given the comeback the industry has seen over the last decade or so, the correction is due. My take? Prices, quality and exclusivity will go up. The number of watches produced per year will go down. We may like high-quality mechanical timepieces on this forum, but a significant percentage of the world's population still lives on less than 2$ per day.

post #47299 of 48312

Am I missing something?

 

I'm visiting Paris just now and as I wandered the streets I happened upon a Rolex boutique. So I went inside to have a look around. The prices seemed to me to be remarkably reasonable.

I saw an Explorer II (ref 216570). In the US, the retail price is $8,100. This Rolex store had it listed for 7,000 Euros. Assuming VAT of 12%, that would be 6160 Euros and at this afternoon's exchange rate that would be roughly $6,500.

Seems too good to be true. What am I missing? Or should I just march right back there and pick myself up a pretty good bargain Rolex?

post #47300 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

Thanks guys - I thought it might need to be demagnetized, but decided to send it in anyway as it's due for a service. Missed the part above about sending it directly to the service center and sent it to the (most local, though still relatively far) boutique as I already have a relationship with the manager there from some other items. Expect to have more information hopefully this week.

As long as it went to a boutique, it will be fine since they will send it to the main service center for you.  I always tell people NOT to use an AD or gray to send it in for service if you want to be sure that it is serviced by a factory authorized service center.  A friend of mine bought a Breitling chronograph from a big name AD that will remain nameless, and when it was due for a service he brought it there and asked them to send it in for service. When the watch was returned to him it had problems and he wasn't happy with the refinishing of the watch, so brought it back to the AD.  They said they would send it back to the service center.  When it came back it had some other problem and he wasn't happy with the re-do of the refinish so he called the Breitling service center directly.  He discovered they had no record of the watch and that they never worked on it, so the AD either tried doing the work inhouse or sent it to a local place rather than sending it directly to the manufacturer's service center (to try and pocket the difference between a factory service and the local service guy).  My friend complained to the AD but he ultimately solved the issue by trading it toward something else.  However, he learned if you want factory service, bring it to a boutique or send it directly to the factory service center yourself.  Cartier has pretty fast turn around times so you should have it back again pretty soon (if the holidays don't slow the service department down too much).  Cheers!

post #47301 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post

Am I missing something?

I'm visiting Paris just now and as I wandered the streets I happened upon a Rolex boutique. So I went inside to have a look around. The prices seemed to me to be remarkably reasonable.


I saw an Explorer II (ref 216570). In the US, the retail price is $8,100. This Rolex store had it listed for 7,000 Euros. Assuming VAT of 12%, that would be 6160 Euros and at this afternoon's exchange rate that would be roughly $6,500.


Seems too good to be true. What am I missing? Or should I just march right back there and pick myself up a pretty good bargain Rolex?

Isn't vat in France more like 20%?
post #47302 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post


Isn't vat in France more like 20%?

Yes, that sounds correct.  Although, my wife bought some stuff at Hermes years ago, we sent in the refund papers, but didn't get all of our VAT refunded.  Maybe it has never happened to anyone else, but after experiencing that, I rarely purchase high priced items overseas.

post #47303 of 48312
6500 is a decent price for a new exp ii. it'll be hard to match at an AD, but probably doable online from a trusted seller.
post #47304 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Yes, that sounds correct.  Although, my wife bought some stuff at Hermes years ago, we sent in the refund papers, but didn't get all of our VAT refunded.  Maybe it has never happened to anyone else, but after experiencing that, I rarely purchase high priced items overseas.

 

We never get the whole VAT refunded.  I think we ended up only getting 12% refunded when we were there in January.  It is a strange system and I don't know enough to argue about it anyway.  If I were purchasing a larger item instead of a bunch of smaller transactions I would definitely read up on the topic.  

post #47305 of 48312
Purchased this old Bueche Girod tank this weekend. It's 18kt yellow gold, mechanical movement, has a new crocodile strap, and looks unworn. I'm very happy with my purchase, and it beats the hell out of paying for a Cartier at retail.


post #47306 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post

Am I missing something?

I'm visiting Paris just now and as I wandered the streets I happened upon a Rolex boutique. So I went inside to have a look around. The prices seemed to me to be remarkably reasonable.


I saw an Explorer II (ref 216570). In the US, the retail price is $8,100. This Rolex store had it listed for 7,000 Euros. Assuming VAT of 12%, that would be 6160 Euros and at this afternoon's exchange rate that would be roughly $6,500.


Seems too good to be true. What am I missing? Or should I just march right back there and pick myself up a pretty good bargain Rolex?

EUR has really tanked during the last year and a half and although Rolex (and Swiss in general) booted the prices up, they are maybe one step behind at the moment. VAT is around 20% in France.

Big boys told me that Parisian boutiques can refund VAT directly back to Centurion card, if you show your passport and while you wait, ask it.
post #47307 of 48312

Been a busy last few weeks and went on a bit of a spree after only having my Panerai since July, now I'm looking at having one watch too many on hand.

 

Got this Nomos Metro that I posted pics of a few weeks back:

 

Last Monday I received the new blue 39mm Oyster Pertpetual that a friend of mine was able to hook me up with a great deal on.  Really been wanting a blue dialed watch and other than this OP, the other ones I liked were a bit out of my comfort zone price wise.

 

And then Saturday I received what might be the coolest one of them all, a Nomos Ludwig Neomatik just in time for me to wear to a wedding.

 

Overall, the Neomatik is the one that blue me away the most upon opening the package.  Really everything I was wanting from a dress watch.  All that being said, the Metro is likely the odd man out here.  I like it, but not as much as the other three and I foresee it getting the least amount of wrist time. Probably overextending myself a bit, so it already on the block.

post #47308 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Yes, that sounds correct.  Although, my wife bought some stuff at Hermes years ago, we sent in the refund papers, but didn't get all of our VAT refunded.  Maybe it has never happened to anyone else, but after experiencing that, I rarely purchase high priced items overseas.


From what I've read in the last few hours, although French VAT is 20%, we only get 12% refunded upon departing the EU. I may see if I can use that to get a better deal on the 216750. The Euro is almost at parity with the dollar, too, which is the main reason for the price being so attractive, I think.

post #47309 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

 

We never get the whole VAT refunded.  I think we ended up only getting 12% refunded when we were there in January.  It is a strange system and I don't know enough to argue about it anyway.  If I were purchasing a larger item instead of a bunch of smaller transactions I would definitely read up on the topic.  

Thanks for letting me, know.  I thought Mrs. Dino and I were the only ones who didn't get all of our VAT back.  Not a big deal on lesser items, but on big items, depending on the exchange rate and prices in the US, I've often found its not worth purchasing it overseas.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 


From what I've read in the last few hours, although French VAT is 20%, we only get 12% refunded upon departing the EU. I may see if I can use that to get a better deal on the 216750. The Euro is almost at parity with the dollar, too, which is the main reason for the price being so attractive, I think.

Yes, its the closest its been in a long time.  I was in Germany last month, and although the rates were close they weren't this close. Just be sure you don't put it on a credit card that has a currency conversion fee...otherwise your savings may end up being significantly less than you expect.  Good luck!

post #47310 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 

Am I missing something?

 

I'm visiting Paris just now and as I wandered the streets I happened upon a Rolex boutique. So I went inside to have a look around. The prices seemed to me to be remarkably reasonable.

I saw an Explorer II (ref 216570). In the US, the retail price is $8,100. This Rolex store had it listed for 7,000 Euros. Assuming VAT of 12%, that would be 6160 Euros and at this afternoon's exchange rate that would be roughly $6,500.

Seems too good to be true. What am I missing? Or should I just march right back there and pick myself up a pretty good bargain Rolex?

 

I personally prefer the 16570.  I never thought I'd be interested in a Rolex, but am giving the polar dial 16570 some serious thought.  Anyway, the hands on the 216570 are way too big for my taste, though I do like the orange hand.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post


Isn't vat in France more like 20%?

 

Yeah, that's what I thought.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)