Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 9:18 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 9:41 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3141post #47101 of 4831211/7/15 at 8:55pmGive them a call and ask if they are an AD for the brands shown on their site. If they are then I'd have no problem dealing with them. As a rule, top brands don't put up with shady practices from their dealers.post #47102 of 4831211/8/15 at 5:24amThanks guys. I've definitely spent some time online but nothing conclusive. I'll ask if they're not AD but it didn't appear so from JLC's site.
I've also asked them for the serial number to see if I can send to JLC to verify it as the number out of a limited run the store says it is.post #47103 of 4831211/8/15 at 8:23amInteresting pictures lately.
Popped by my AD last week, got some Rolex corruption stuff. Rolex magazine has some interesting layman's technical views on their new watches, but the lifestyle articles are comically clean. Even Audi can't get so clinically void of any real life on their stuff.
Rolex 2016 calendar looks nice, though.post #47104 of 4831211/8/15 at 6:16pmpost #47105 of 4831211/8/15 at 7:31pmpost #47106 of 4831211/9/15 at 3:20ampost #47107 of 4831211/9/15 at 4:00am
Just luck of the draw, eh? I saw one just ten days ago on Southampton High Street. That's just over an hour out of Waterloo, but not a very scenic place in itself. Anyway, if you're really interested, it's a small AD so maybe they can do you a deal:Contact details (Click to show)
Parkhouse the Jeweller
96 Above Bar
Tel: +44 23 80 22 66 53post #47108 of 4831211/9/15 at 5:21ampost #47109 of 4831211/9/15 at 7:19amQuote:
Could be sales talk about a wait list, to make it sound tougher to get than it is. There is very rarely a long wait to get any gold Rolex. Once you are talking an MSRP of $20K or more there are far fewer folks willing and able to spend that on a sports watch, so there is rarely any supply issue for Rolex watches in that price range or higher.
However, in years past when there were waiting lists and some of the sport model Rolex watches were tough to get in the UK, you could almost always find them at many US ADs with no wait at all.post #47110 of 4831211/9/15 at 9:01ampost #47111 of 4831211/9/15 at 10:58ampost #47112 of 4831211/9/15 at 11:15ampost #47113 of 4831211/9/15 at 11:23amThanks, Andy57. It was actually an eBay find, not an heirloom or a piece with any personal history for me.
Picked it up probably about 5-6 years ago when the the watch bug was biting me really hard, and some of the details have disappeared from memory. Pretty sure it was claimed to be late 40's / early 50's, and all original (dial/hands/crown/movement). Case is actually gold-plated but in excellent shape. The black lizard strap came with it.
It runs a bit slow, but I've never taken it to a watchmaker for adjustment. And it's easily the smallest watch that I own, though I do think it has a real charm to it, and always respected the history of Gruen. It's definitely a more subtle watch... obviously slips very easily under a cuff.
But I do wear it far less often, now that I have a modern Reverso.post #47114 of 4831211/9/15 at 11:36ampost #47115 of 4831211/9/15 at 11:42amQuote:
It feels very comfortable. The Nato strap is simply amazing, far better than any other Nato I've encountered. The watch itself is a little taller than a similar-sized Sub, say, but it fits under the cuff of the shirt I'm wearing today with no trouble at all.
It was a serendipitous acquisition and I'm very pleased with it.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Things you just don't get 1 minute ago
- › Suede Shoe Lining..... 3 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Porn Thread (Bespoke only) 3 minutes ago
- › What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want? 4 minutes ago
- › Orban's - Cheap, affordable European made Goodyear Welted shoes 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › SNS Herning- fits? 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 10 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › new wallet at 200 or under 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway