or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3137  

post #47041 of 48312
Wearing this one again today. My goal is to make @Belligero regret selling his... nod[1].gif



post #47042 of 48312
Wow. Great pics McWu.

That should do it.
post #47043 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWu View Post

Wearing this one again today. My goal is to make @Belligero regret selling his... nod[1].gif
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Damn nice! Haven't seen a Reverso I didn't like, so far!

post #47044 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

Thing with the Yachtmaster is, its just not useful enough from a practicality standpoint. I get a LOT of use out of the GMT function.

 

Now, if they made an everose GMT II on black rubber with an everose-fill black ceramic bezel.. THAT would be hard to resist.

The rubber and Everrose, just doesn't do much for me.  It started out as sort of interesting  example of what Rolex could do mixing metals with other materials, but its been done before by AP, BP, Cartier etc  I guess I don't see much use for an expensive, largely plastic/rubber watch in my life.  But if it really makes you smile...go for it. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWu View Post

Wearing this one again today. My goal is to make @Belligero regret selling his... nod[1].gif
 

Great photos!  It might work on a lesser person...but I don't think that's going to work on Belligero.  IIRC, it spent a lot more time in a box than on his wrist.  

 

Still great photos...and it does make me want to get a Reverso...but probably something slimmer.  Cheers!

post #47045 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

Damn nice! Haven't seen a Reverso I didn't like, so far!

Tell me about it.
post #47046 of 48312
So sharing my newest - PAM 580. Luminor 1950 3 Days Chromo Flyback in Ceramic. I've been hankering for a ceramic case for some time. Could never quite find the one that would do it for me, and I looked at IWC and Omega among others. Reservations about case fragility aside, I just find the material awesome. Light, matte, super comfortable and great looking. I also really love the Omega Dark Side and Grey Side but already owing the 9300 in steel would make it difficult for me to justify owning either ceramic of them.

When I first saw the PAM 580 I thought it looked great. I thought it was extremely expensive but really ticked off all the boxes for me - including the little pop of blue on the flyback second hand, but the price was too prohibitive. I wasn't really in the market but after a while realized some of my watches weren't getting as much wrist time.

I kept hearing @Dino944 words in my head over and over again - to paraphrase - if you're no longer finding pleasure in your watch and it doesn't really hold a sentimental position, then move it on for something that does sing to you. So I sent a feeler out to my favorite dealer, and just like that a trade was offered and agreed upon. My PAM 312 and beloved JLC NSA for the PAM 580.

So net loss of one watch, but I'm terribly happy with the move. I've been meaning to consolidate my collection and this was a great step in the right direction.

Overall the watch oozes quality. It's thick just like the 312, but the ceramic case gives it a stealthier and lighter feel obviously and it's infinitely more comfortable on the wrist than it's steel brethren. Accuracy has been spot on (admitedly absent from most of my PAMs), and the calf Assolutamente strap is of course incredibly well made and comfortable (as are most Panerai OEM straps). I really love the dial with the blue flyback hand. To be honest I can't really tell what makes it a flyback vs a regular chrono. As with most PAMs, I would've liked some AR coating to better visualize the beautiful dial, but overall the watch is really outstanding.

The buckle is PVD titanium which is nice but honestly at this price point would have been nice if Panerai manufactured a ceramic buckle (ala Omega), but it's a minor point.

I realize it may not be everyone's cup of tea but I love sharing with TWAT and thanks for reading. Special thanks to Govberg as always. George is a heckuva bud.

Rich


photo 62A701E8-EF26-4388-9602-6B7F1B9A307A.jpg


photo D0953F9A-D376-45EC-B8A6-4FE19C505BB4.jpg
post #47047 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

So sharing my newest - PAM 580. Luminor 1950 3 Days Chromo Flyback in Ceramic. I've been hankering for a ceramic case for some time. Could never quite find the one that would do it for me, and I looked at IWC and Omega among others. Reservations about case fragility aside, I just find the material awesome. Light, matte, super comfortable and great looking. I also really love the Omega Dark Side and Grey Side but already owing the 9300 in steel would make it difficult for me to justify owning either ceramic of them.

When I first saw the PAM 580 I thought it looked great. I thought it was extremely expensive but really ticked off all the boxes for me - including the little pop of blue on the flyback second hand, but the price was too prohibitive. I wasn't really in the market but after a while realized some of my watches weren't getting as much wrist time.

I kept hearing @Dino944 words in my head over and over again - to paraphrase - if you're no longer finding pleasure in your watch and it doesn't really hold a sentimental position, then move it on for something that does sing to you. So I sent a feeler out to my favorite dealer, and just like that a trade was offered and agreed upon. My PAM 312 and beloved JLC NSA for the PAM 580.

So net loss of one watch, but I'm terribly happy with the move. I've been meaning to consolidate my collection and this was a great step in the right direction...

I realize it may not be everyone's cup of tea but I love sharing with TWAT and thanks for reading. Special thanks to Govberg as always. George is a heckuva bud.

Rich

Congrats on your new addition!    I'm not really one for cases that are not made of metal, but I do think ceramic is a very interesting option.  As for it not being everyone's cup of tea, no watch ever is...but if it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters!  Regarding the net loss of one watch, if they weren't getting wrist time, then it really wasn't a loss.  Better to find them a home where they will be getting wrist time, which results in you being able to put something on your wrist that will get wrist time...so in my book its really a gain.   Enjoy and wear it in good health.  Cheers! :cheers: 

post #47048 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

So sharing my newest - PAM 580. 

 

Congratulations - really distinctive!  I like those ceramic PAMs and the blue chrono hand really makes yours leap up and announce itself.  I disagree slightly on the buckle, though: ceramics are just more brittle than metals, and a buckle bounces of desks, doors and drawers so regularly.  Ti seems like a smarter choice.  Also, I think this has a bit more personality than the DSOM - though I like that too.  The GSOM is pretty but a bit silly: ceramic watch, made to look like metal?  Hmm.

 

Great kop, and thanks for sharing. 

post #47049 of 48312
Congratulations on the 580!
post #47050 of 48312
As a rule I'm not a big fan of the black matte craze, particularly when applied to luxury items, but the 580 seems to pull it off successfully. I saw a black matte G450 taking off the other day and then came to find the owner's matching Bentley parked in the lot. I don't get it, but then I don't own any camouflage clothing either.
post #47051 of 48312

Opportunities don't always come along just when you would like them to, but sometimes you can take advantage of an opportunity when it's presented (and sometimes not). And so, I was presented with the opportunity to take a look at this 1971 Red Submariner ref. 1680. All-original, unpolished (as far as I could tell), Mark IV dial (red overprinted on white, open sixes), box and all papers including original sales receipt.. I know this community advices not to buy a watch unless it really speaks to you and makes you smile when you put it on your wrist. This one did all that, in spades. And so, here it is...

 


The bracelet was somewhat stretched out, so I had the dealer take it off the bracelet which is now put away for safe keeping. So here are a couple of shots on NATO straps:

 

 

 

I like both straps, but it think it looks pretty badass on the "James Bond" Nato! 

 

And somehow, without really meaning to, I seem to have turned into a Rolex collector. Oh dear.

post #47052 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

As a rule I'm not a big fan of the black matte craze, particularly when applied to luxury items, but the 580 seems to pull it off successfully. I saw a black matte G450 taking off the other day and then came to find the owner's matching Bentley parked in the lot. I don't get it, but then I don't own any camouflage clothing either.

I don't like matte colors on cars.  I don't think they improve a car's looks, and feel like I'm looking at a car that just has primer on it.  Also a friend who runs a detail shop said they are nearly impossible to maintain unless it just sits in your garage (as you can't polish scratches or imperfections out, and you can't use a clay bar to remove contaminants). Matte paint on cars is mostly for young guys hoping to be in the next Fast & Furious movie.

 

As for matte finished watches, some work better than others.  I think PAMs tend to look pull off the matte look better than most brands. 

post #47053 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post
 

Opportunities don't always come along just when you would like them to, but sometimes you can take advantage of an opportunity when it's presented (and sometimes not). And so, I was presented with the opportunity to take a look at this 1971 Red Submariner ref. 1680. All-original, unpolished (as far as I could tell), Mark IV dial (red overprinted on white, open sixes), box and all papers including original sales receipt.. I know this community advices not to buy a watch unless it really speaks to you and makes you smile when you put it on your wrist. This one did all that, in spades. And so, here it is...

 

 

 

I like both straps, but it think it looks pretty badass on the "James Bond" Nato! 

 

And somehow, without really meaning to, I seem to have turned into a Rolex collector. Oh dear.

Congrats !!! That's a beauty!!!  I love the watch, but not the NATO straps. I'd hang on to the original bracelet, but and purchase a new replacement bracelet to wear the watch.  Great choice and glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of this opportunity.   Cheers!:cheers:

post #47054 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Congrats !!! That's a beauty!!!  I love the watch, but not the NATO straps. I'd hang on to the original bracelet, but and purchase a new replacement bracelet to wear the watch.  Great choice and glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of this opportunity.   Cheers!:cheers:


Thank you! The original bracelet isn't going anywhere, but I don't think it is up to the job of daily wear any longer. I may very well look into a replacement bracelet.

post #47055 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Bateman View Post

How do you guys store and travel with your watches? I have a watch roll which I don't really like for either purpose. For storage, it's annoying to have slide the wide in and out of the sleeve, particularly for my older acrylic crystals, and there's nothing to separate bracelets from the caseback. For travel there's no padding. Relatedly, can anyone recommend a watch winder?


A little late to this.

 

I store mine either on a winder or in a watch box. I don't care for watch rolls, personally. For travel, I use an Oakley case. The large size can hold my Planet Ocean easily enough. Another option I discovered just recently is to get hold of the boxes that Rolex uses to ship watches to dealers (so I was told by an AD). They are hard plastic with a styrofoam insert. I think they'd make excellent travel boxes, if your watch fits:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)