Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 6:24 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:45 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3136post #47026 of 4831211/2/15 at 12:33ampost #47027 of 4831211/2/15 at 4:00amQuote:Originally Posted by gopherblue
Late to the party on this one (hopefully not too late). The original JLC MUT dress watch ticks all your boxes except size. 34mm, but insanely thin (Cal 849 is only 1.85mm thick) and a true dress watch. Extremely elegant and perfect to wear for a formal occasion like your own wedding. Get the version with the sapphire back and marvel at a true ultrathin (a complication in itself). It was made in steel, white/rose gold and per your request, platinum.
Otherwise, I concur with others on a classic Reverso.
Thanks Gopher. I've been leaning in much the same direction. Though it has yet to be seen if Mrs. Hedonist will put aside her accountant's sensibilities and go through with a watch purchase. My love of watches is one of those things she tolerates to a point.
On a completely separate note. I still can't get the everose Yachtmaster out of my head.
Though I have yet to find one and try it on. But I'm trying to decide how - and at what point - a watch like that might fit into my lifestyle. It's a precious metal, which would make it "dressier," but the rubber strap thumbs its nose at all that. I rather like the fact that it's relative opulence is so understated - fits my "casual luxury" aesthetic pretty well. Still it's quite flashy for me. I'm generally not into yellow or rose gold - yet the contrast with black just completely blows me away on this one. But at about $24k for the 40mm model, we're in the neighborhood of watches that actually come with some gold on the bracelet. I mean the YM has a rose gold clasp... but the rest is rubber. Makes me wonder if Rolex priced it wrong...
Edited by BostonHedonist - 11/2/15 at 4:12ampost #47028 of 4831211/2/15 at 4:23am
It will fit very well into your lifestyle when you are breezing into harbour on your yacht on a round-the-world sailing trip - crewed, naturally. You'd be wearing a lot of linen. Maybe smoking a cigar. To me it's that kind of watch. A more subtle alternative to the all yellow gold GMT II.post #47029 of 4831211/2/15 at 4:35am
I saw one in a shop just last week, and I'd almost forgotten it existed. I don't do gold anyway for myself, even if I theoretically had the money. But once I'd thought for a moment and realised what it was, I couldn't get over the fact that it is inherently stunning to look at. Less bling than all gold - just - and managing to be both distinctively Rolex and boldly modern. If I were a gold-loving dude with a yacht who didn't give a shit, I'd be into itpost #47030 of 4831211/2/15 at 4:36am
I like that YM as well but when I finally saw the price, there is a lot in that price range to consider. I've not seen it in person but know someone who picked one up while in Europe. At the current Euro/USD exchange you could pick one up for around $20K then possibly get a discount or VAT back when coming back to the US?post #47031 of 4831211/2/15 at 5:14ampost #47032 of 4831211/2/15 at 5:18am
Two out of three?Quote:Originally Posted by mimo
I saw one in a shop just last week, and I'd almost forgotten it existed. I don't do gold anyway for myself, even if I theoretically had the money. But once I'd thought for a moment and realised what it was, I couldn't get over the fact that it is inherently stunning to look at. Less bling than all gold - just - and managing to be both distinctively Rolex and boldly modern. If I were a gold-loving dude with a yacht who didn't give a shit, I'd be into it
I still haven't seen one in the flesh. Going to have to, one of these days - though a part of me is resisting letting myself near that watch.Quote:Originally Posted by jbarwick
I like that YM as well but when I finally saw the price, there is a lot in that price range to consider. I've not seen it in person but know someone who picked one up while in Europe. At the current Euro/USD exchange you could pick one up for around $20K then possibly get a discount or VAT back when coming back to the US?
Exactly. There are some very fine watches in that territory. One would need to maintain a particularly strict tunnel vision to not get sidetracked...post #47033 of 4831211/2/15 at 5:34ampost #47034 of 4831211/2/15 at 5:54ampost #47035 of 4831211/2/15 at 6:07ampost #47036 of 4831211/2/15 at 6:54amQuote:
Oh well, it's not like we know anyone who buys expensive watches and is secretly Batman, is it? Hmm. None I can think of. Well, apart from @no frills , and he doesn't show any interest in gold Rolexes, or rubber straps...or...wait a minute...
Anyway, yeah, for $20 you could buy a used platinum Lange 1, or a gold 1815 and a Sea Dweller...or...a million other options. But it is pretty, in a rather obvious, blousy...Kate Upton kind of way. Hmm..there's that connection again.post #47037 of 4831211/2/15 at 8:23ampost #47038 of 4831211/2/15 at 8:27ampost #47039 of 4831211/2/15 at 11:26ampost #47040 of 4831211/2/15 at 1:30pm
Thing with the Yachtmaster is, its just not useful enough from a practicality standpoint. I get a LOT of use out of the GMT function.
Now, if they made an everose GMT II on black rubber with an everose-fill black ceramic bezel.. THAT would be hard to resist.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 38 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 40 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 41 seconds ago
- › REEVES OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 2 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › Ten C : The Emperor's New Clothes 2 minutes ago
- › The 'Best Of' Friday Challenges 2016 3 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Exquisite Trimmings - Based in London, UK - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway