or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3124  

post #46846 of 48312

I always feel like a hobnail bezel could get noticeably 'dinged', and the ding would be difficult to remedy. Has that ever been an issue?

post #46847 of 48312
Wow thanks guys, a lot more votes for the VC than I expected. It's by far the most economical of the bunch so it was a tempting option but I wanted to make sure I wasn't subconsciously liking it for the value.and the fact I wouldn't have to sell the Cartier.

The Lange option was a new thought to me (didn't think I could touch them for 10) and the more I think about it, in the context of selling my Cartier to make the difference a bit more manageable, the more I like it. And 36mm would be ideal for my tastes too... I'll have to look around.

EDIT: based on chrono24 there seem to be a few model 1815s hanging just north of 10k that might be negotiated down... Between the Lange and PP I guess I ought to see about selling my Cartier!
Edited by MZhammer - 10/20/15 at 8:23am
post #46848 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

Wow thanks guys, a lot more votes for the VC than I expected. It's by far the most economical of the bunch so it was a tempting option but I wanted to make sure I wasn't subconsciously liking it for the value.

The Lange option was a new thought to me (didn't think I could touch them for 10) and the more I think about it, in the context of selling my Cartier to make the difference a bit more manageable, the more I like it. And 36mm would be ideal for my tastes too... I'll have to look around.


The GO won't get much, if any, love here from most. I happen to love it, but that said, size wise with what you are saying you like with some of the other pieces, it wouldn't make much sense. It wears quite large on the wrist. If you don't mind spending more, I would also vote for the Lange.

post #46849 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

I always feel like a hobnail bezel could get noticeably 'dinged', and the ding would be difficult to remedy. Has that ever been an issue?
Not in my experience. The hobnails are below the level of the crystal, so it is pretty difficult for something to make direct contact with the top of bezel/the hobnails. I think you'd have to ding it pretty hard to make a noticeable mark on the bezel, and that kind of direct hit is unlikely due to its recessed level. I've had mine for 22 years, have worn it perhaps 2000 times (just guessing, but for much of the time has been my daily wear watch), and the bezel looks pretty much pristine -- the watch has been serviced two or 3 times by PP, and I think was polished on those service visits.
post #46850 of 48312

Wow, 128 post back read. Awesome new kops and considerations, guys!

post #46851 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefan View Post

Not in my experience. The hobnails are below the level of the crystal, so it is pretty difficult for something to make direct contact with the top of bezel/the hobnails. I think you'd have to ding it pretty hard to make a noticeable mark on the bezel, and that kind of direct hit is unlikely due to its recessed level. I've had mine for 22 years, have worn it perhaps 2000 times (just guessing, but for much of the time has been my daily wear watch), and the bezel looks pretty much pristine -- the watch has been serviced two or 3 times by PP, and I think was polished on those service visits.

+1. I've had my PP 3919 for 20+ years and wear it at least once a week. I'm not particularly careful with it, and it looks about as good as new. I'm far from objective (it was a wedding present), but I don't think I'll ever stop thinking it's perfect.

Edit: Here are some pictures:

199E1CE2-1E0B-48D5-96EB-67B4822A57F6_zpsayfvdafi.jpg

96E92C64-2E73-45AB-BBB2-5E7E56FF305A_zpsi678oyl5.jpg
post #46852 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 518aata View Post

+1. I've had my PP 3919 for 20+ years and wear it at least once a week. I'm not particularly careful with it, and it looks about as good as new. I'm far from objective (it was a wedding present), but I don't think I'll ever stop thinking it's perfect.
photos (Click to show)
Edit: Here are some pictures:

199E1CE2-1E0B-48D5-96EB-67B4822A57F6_zpsayfvdafi.jpg

96E92C64-2E73-45AB-BBB2-5E7E56FF305A_zpsi678oyl5.jpg

Lovely! That's one of the advantages of a slim, reasonably-sized watch: it's less likely to bash into things. smile.gif
post #46853 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

Gents, I'm taking a new job and there's a hefty signing bonus in addition to the salary. I'm planning on spending a small portion of the bonus on a commemorative watch and have narrowed it down to a few real contenders... I am buying used to help stretch the dollar and here's what I've come down to.

They're vastly different pieces so I know it's an apples vs oranges comparison but would love your thoughts. This will likely be my largest watch expenditure for many years so I want to make it count.

For reference, my current daily wearers are a GMT 16710 Pepsi, a Cartier Basculante and a Ball Skindiver.

The lineup - Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Patek 3119
Pros - it's a classic. The smaller size fits well on my wrist and has a vintage appeal to it.
Cons - it's about 3k more than every other contender.


Vacheron constantin Patrimony 92240
Pros - like the Patek it's a classic design from the trinity.
Cons - almost seems like it's trying to be a Calatrava.


Audemars Piguet 25859st
Pros - Trinity with complication, modern 38mm size makes it a good dress/casual mix.
Cons - No major ones, not a definitive AP style.


GO Panomaticlunar
Pros - most complicated choice with moon phase which I love, display back
Cons - a little large for a dress watch. Not from the trinity.

Lots of great advice here on the forum.  I've already made my opinions rather well known regarding the GO and the Patek 3919, so I will keep it quite short.  The GO is a well made watch, but IMHO its a Lange 1 pretender.  Although it has several differences, I'd always feel like I was wearing a Lange wannabe/homage/imitator so I'd have to cut that from the list.  The 3919, is probably one of my least favorite Patek offerings of all time.  I find the hobnail design stodgy, and I hate the flimsy welded on lugs.  I was at a Patek AD years ago when a customer came in with the lug broken off.  Our SA tolds us if buying a Patek stick with models that have the lugs more integrated into the case, and this isn't an issue (it wasn't the first time they had seen this happen).  Sorry, but for what that Patek costs new, I find the flimsy lugs unacceptable.  The hobnail bezel, will hide small scratches nicely, but if you were to get a nasty ding in the hobnail bezel (say from the corner of a table) it wouldn't be something easily repairable.  You certainly couldn't just polish it out.  Not sure about the case construction, maybe the whole bezel could be replaced, but that would be costly.  A smooth bezel, can easily be re-polished if necessary.  

 

I find the VC the most appealing of the designs you posted, but I think the case size of it and that of the 3919, may seem quite small by modern standards.  If you have a small wrist, then it may be the right size for you.  Only you can decide what would be a good fit on your wrist.  

 

The AP, is a good value if you want a modern sized watch, with a complication, from one of the Big Three.  However, I just don't love the design.  There is nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't fill my watch loving heart with lust.  

 

The Lange 1815 is a great suggestion.  It would give you top quality watch, in a modern size, that I think would be a bit more wearable than the VC and the Patek, particularly if you are on the younger side.  

 

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.  

post #46854 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Lots of great advice here on the forum.  I've already made my opinions rather well known regarding the GO and the Patek 3919, so I will keep it quite short.  The GO is a well made watch, but IMHO its a Lange 1 pretender.  Although it has several differences, I'd always feel like I was wearing a Lange wannabe/homage/imitator so I'd have to cut that from the list.  The 3919, is probably one of my least favorite Patek offerings of all time.  I find the hobnail design stodgy, and I hate the flimsy welded on lugs.  I was at a Patek AD years ago when a customer came in with the lug broken off.  Our SA tolds us if buying a Patek stick with models that have the lugs more integrated into the case, and this isn't an issue (it wasn't the first time they had seen this happen).  Sorry, but for what that Patek costs new, I find the flimsy lugs unacceptable.  The hobnail bezel, will hide small scratches nicely, but if you were to get a nasty ding in the hobnail bezel (say from the corner of a table) it wouldn't be something easily repairable.  You certainly couldn't just polish it out.  Not sure about the case construction, maybe the whole bezel could be replaced, but that would be costly.  A smooth bezel, can easily be re-polished if necessary.  

I find the VC the most appealing of the designs you posted, but I think the case size of it and that of the 3919, may seem quite small by modern standards.  If you have a small wrist, then it may be the right size for you.  Only you can decide what would be a good fit on your wrist.  

The AP, is a good value if you want a modern sized watch, with a complication, from one of the Big Three.  However, I just don't love the design.  There is nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't fill my watch loving heart with lust.  

The Lange 1815 is a great suggestion.  It would give you top quality watch, in a modern size, that I think would be a bit more wearable than the VC and the Patek, particularly if you are on the younger side.  

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.  

All tremendous advice. As far as tastes are concerned I guess I like some stodgy stuff, speaks to the vintage lover in me and also means it will retain that elegance over time. I am a tall-ish guy but have slender wrists despite being rather large 6'2", 195lbs (on a good day) with broad shoulders. I tried on the 3919 and, although it was small, I didn't find it too small. After wearing a small watch in the Cartier I've come to enjoy the understated feel small watches have.

I think you're right on the GO, I love the Langes and it is certainly in that vein that I find the GO attractive however for my one purchase it might be too big and too much of a homage to truly be a final keeper.

I'm young-ish as well, 27, but I've been trying to go for quality over quantity and this is a significant career step so I'd like to commemorate it with something I'll keep for the long run. I've discovered I'm really a 3 watch guy (with a few fun oddities sprinkled in). I need a beater, a dress watch and a casual go between. I've already purchased my dream daily beater watch - the Pepsi with lug holes and superluminova - and while the Cartier is terrific I don't see it as a be all, end all dress watch for me. This purchase will likely be that (unless I went with the AP and then it would be my casual watch). The more I contemplate things the more I lean towards selling the Cartier and putting it towards a single, fantastic watch.

The 36mm size sits well on my wrist and I've been a huge fan of Lange for a long time but something about the Patek still gets me... It will be a couple of months before I can pull the trigger so I guess I'll stew on it for now... And list my Cartier in the meantime.
post #46855 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

 I've already purchased my dream daily beater watch - the Pepsi with lug holes and superluminova

 

Consider my mind well and truly blown  :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow: 

post #46856 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post

Consider my mind well and truly blown  wow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gifwow.gif  

Lol not a fan?
post #46857 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post

Lol not a fan?

I think just the opposite - that's no beater!!!!
post #46858 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

I think just the opposite - that's no beater!!!!

Well I've loved the looks of vintage Pepsi's for a long time, it was the watch that fascinated me before I really even knew Rolex as a brand. I love watches that visibly have stories behind them so I went and got my own that I can wear until it's vintage. I chose the modern model I liked best (lug holes for practicality and superluminova because it allegedly doesn't degrade) and I'll wear it until it becomes a true vintage piece and it will accumulate my own stories. I wear it for everything, camping, hunting, shooting and everything in between. I don't think watches like this need to be babied, it's not a dress watch it's supposed to be a robust steel watch for doing real things in. Just because the price rose doesn't mean they stopped making robust watches that are built like tanks, go get them dirty!!

For people who don't think these are beaters I would direct them here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/your-rolex-story-65983-40.html#post8782058

Or his thread (read through the whole thing)
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=345242
post #46859 of 48312
Hammer, if you really dig that Calatrava style, would you also consider a 5196J?

Smooth bezel / sticks / dauphine hands. Not as vintage-looking, and somewhat larger, but still a pure / classic dress piece with sub-seconds.

Just an idea.
post #46860 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZhammer View Post


Lol not a fan?


No, far from it. One of the most-loved pieces I have is my 1984 16750.

 

I think, actually, it's the concept of a "beater" that I really react to. It's the word. I wore my Breitling Navitimer Montbrillant daily, for years and years, but never for a moment did I consider it to be a beater. It's still in very good condition and is well looked after. It doesn't get as much wrist time as it used to. None of my other watches are babied, but neither are they abused. And, in a sense, the idea of a "beater" I infer to be an object that is treated with indifference.

 

I don't think, at all, that you meant that you are indifferent to your watch (or watches), but when I see a reference to a Pepsi or any quality watch as a "beater", well it always strikes me as odd.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)