Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:57 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 2:07 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3120post #46787 of 4831210/15/15 at 7:48pmpost #46788 of 4831210/15/15 at 9:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by Keith T
Loved the Only Watch, but this one doesn't do it for me.
So apparently, it's the snowflakes?
I know that's one of the (more visible) features, something that clearly separates the Tudor from a Rolex Sub, amongst others... but I guess it's just one of those matters of the heart.
Much preferred the straight hands on the Only Watch.
However, this version will sell like proverbial hotcakes, methinks.
Oh, I like this much better than the Only Watch. Snowflakes for sure and the lumes look a bit lighter. Anyway, different strokes... One thing I don't like on either one though is the red triangle at the top of the bezel. Definitely like the Black Bay though.Quote:
Yes, I saw that after I asked. Looks nice. However the one Reverso I like the most is this one:
I also like the standard 1931 thin they have right now.post #46789 of 4831210/16/15 at 1:37amQuote:Originally Posted by kimmo
Noted, especially since someone put together two and two and traced the watch. Still I stand by my comments, as it was their goof: they had mixed the service references in JLC's end. I might be slightly frustrated them, but it's their fault. Strap started to shed it's surface treatment right from the start, JLC sent after 4 months a wrong replacement strap. Still haven't received extra spring bars ordered in April.
I would say that their after-sales needs a bit work, but I'm glad that the watch was found, albeit after both me and AD kicking up a fuss.
And to be completely fair towards JLC, I received yesterday a call from their Netherlands HQ and we went through my whole customer experience, including my warranty concerns. They readily accepted that my experience wasn't on par with their targets, so points to them.post #46790 of 4831210/16/15 at 1:39amQuote:Originally Posted by Belligero
No disagreement here. My point is that a watch has to be more than just initally-polarizing and unpopular to become collectible; very few of them have stood the test of time. I don't think the "older, uglier = more valuable" thing is true; it seems to be quite the opposite. Despite having a 116520, I have no problem saying that older Daytonæ look better than new ones.
There are other factors that influence rarity — no doubt the original Daytona would have been much more successful if it was self-winding, and the RO would have been a better seller if quartz hadn't just arrived on the scene — but the watch still has to look good to enough collectors in the future to become valuable. There are plenty of unattractive watches that are rare for good reason, and they ain't worth much now.
It will be the Belligero design with the exquisite typography that will win out in the end. Though perhaps the odd one with the second line in blue will be the one that breaks the auction records.post #46791 of 4831210/16/15 at 3:03ampost #46792 of 4831210/16/15 at 3:05amQuote:
Collectors are funny that way.
I still don't get why they get so jacked about steel for vintage Pateks, though. More common though it may be, I'll take mine in platinum, thank you very much.post #46793 of 4831210/16/15 at 3:38amI've just read in an interview in the latest Calibre magazine that JLC are consolidating the Reverso range down to 6 cases from a current 20+. I wonder which ones will be the stayers? Perhaps this is the end of the line for the Squadra.
Edit - I just checked the interview with Daniel Riedo and he actually quoted a reduction of 50! to 6.
Edited by culverwood - 10/19/15 at 1:57ampost #46794 of 4831210/16/15 at 4:18amThat's interesting @culverwood - I'm curious to find out.
I don't know how I've never seen this but there's a limited Italian edition Reverso - 150 pieces released in 2011 with a R where the 8 goes.
My daughter (aka the love of my life) was born in 2011 and her name begins with R. I feel incredibly compelled to find one of these...must have piece confirmed.
http://hoodinkee-beta.squarespace.com/2011/4/28/jaeger-lecoultre-announces-a-master-ultra-thin-reverso-limit.htmlpost #46795 of 4831210/16/15 at 5:07ampost #46796 of 4831210/16/15 at 8:22amQuote:
Yes, funny how they go crazy for the "Rarer" steel ones. Same thing happens with the very small run steel Lange 1s from the mid/late 90s.
I'd also go for the "More common" platinum models!Quote:
Wow, sad to hear that. Those will be some big shoes to fill !!!post #46797 of 4831210/16/15 at 9:11amQuote:
As an appreciator of JLC and an owner of a Reverso I maintain the official line that the Squadra does not actually exist.post #46798 of 4831210/16/15 at 9:43amI don't think I ever had a Squadra on my wrist.
Stitchy had one that he really liked (but sold or traded it I think, when he got his RO) ... but I can't recall many of them being posted here.
For kicks, here's my Grande Reverso Ultra Thin:
Not yet engraved, but I think I will get a family monogram of some sort, eventually.
Or maybe gift it to my son, with something hyper-meaningful on there.
It's a lot of pressure (!) when I think about it. Took me months to pick the damn watch in the first place
How in the world does anyone ever decide on a tattoo?!post #46799 of 4831210/16/15 at 9:44ampost #46800 of 4831210/16/15 at 10:11am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Raf Simon x Stering Ruby Abus Lang OR Crim Neg Camo Pants 22 seconds ago
- › Junkard Boots 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › S.E.H Kelly 5 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Don's Footwear 14 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...