or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3095  

post #46411 of 48312

 

my first 'serious' time piece. bought this puppy from a very good mate of mine who so happens to be a bespoke tailor.

post #46412 of 48312

Last Week and this week

 

post #46413 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

I was watch 'window-shopping' this past weekend in LV when I stumbled upon the VC Overseas Ultramarines (both the dual-time & 3-hander). I was mesmerized by the blue dials; unfortunately the watch is sold with rubber & gator straps, I'd therefore have to source the very nice bracelet which won't be inexpensive! I'm interested in hearing others thoughts/opinions on the Overseas in general & the Ultramarine in particular:


I love the Overseas on the Maltese bracelet (one of my favorites); not so much without.



The blue dial is pretty nice but white would be my preference.
post #46414 of 48312
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
 

I was watch 'window-shopping' this past weekend in LV when I stumbled upon the VC Overseas Ultramarines (both the dual-time & 3-hander). I was mesmerized by the blue dials; unfortunately the watch is sold with rubber & gator straps, I'd therefore have to source the very nice bracelet which won't be inexpensive! I'm interested in hearing others thoughts/opinions on the Overseas in general & the Ultramarine in particular:

 

 

 

The blue dial is quite nice, but the bracelet is a must. And like T&T I think I prefer the white dial. There are plenty of people in this thread who don't like the Overseas because they find the maltese cross motif a bit loud, but I find its incorporation stunning. If you are in to an Overseas I would not consider the Ingenieur, it just falls short (assuming you like the maltese cross motif, which I'm assuming you do). I love the bezel and case shape. The bracelet feels fantastic and the whole thing just sits wonderfully on the wrist (at least for me).

post #46415 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
 

I was watch 'window-shopping' this past weekend in LV when I stumbled upon the VC Overseas Ultramarines (both the dual-time & 3-hander). I was mesmerized by the blue dials; unfortunately the watch is sold with rubber & gator straps, I'd therefore have to source the very nice bracelet which won't be inexpensive! I'm interested in hearing others thoughts/opinions on the Overseas in general & the Ultramarine in particular:

 

Sorry, but the only thing I like about this watch is the color of the dial, and that its not textured (I really disliked the texture found on the earlier Overseas models with silver/white dials).  The rest of the dial, I find very unappealing.  I don't like the huge lum markings and the big Arabic numerals, it makes the watch less versatile and less elegant than its competitors from PP and AP.  In addition I find the time only dial looks too cluttered with Arabic numerals, big lum next to them, and then a small Arabic 5 minute marker closest to the bezel. It almost becomes silly at the 12 marker (once they put on the Maltese Cross, VC and Geneve).  The date window might have worked there if the dial were white or the date wheel were blue,...but I don't like having a big white date aperture on the blue dial between 4 &5.  

 

I also do not care for the case shape or the transition from case to lugs on the current Overseas.  I prefer the last generation's design to the current model.  Also, if you can purchase a bracelet, it most like will cost you a rather significant sum, although I find the Maltese Cross design incorporation into the bracelet a bit too blingy.  Its just one step shy of wearing a Tshirt that says, "I'm wearing a Vacheron Constantin."

 

VC has always been hit or miss with their sports watches.  My favorite was their original 222 designed by Jorg Hysek, which was their alternative to a Nautilus or RO.  But they changed direction and went to a hideous quasi dress version called the 333 which was followed by the boring and unattractive Phidias, and then eventually they gave us a handsome 1st gen Overseas (although some had a few issues, such as bracelet links that would get "locked up")...then they revised it heavily keeping only the bezel and released the current model.  The can never decide what direction to go with their sports models so they change gears constantly, and some look rather dated.  VC makes a great product and I am a fan of their watches, but I greatly prefer their dress watches to their sport watches.  

 

I suppose if I were in your shoes, I'd have to decide if you truly love this model or if you want to wait and see if VC revises the Overeas in 2016 its 20th anniversary.  I heard some talk about it possibly being revised for next year, but not sure if its merely speculation.   The current Overseas is not a watch for me, but if it truly puts a smile on your face then go for it.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
 

 

 

It's a VC, so it's very well-made, but the bezel and lugs really don't do anything for me at all. The bezel, in particular, leaves me cold. I don't really like the date placement, either, although that's not a deal-breaker like the bezel shape.

 

If I was looking for a similar watch, I'd be much more attracted by the IWC Ingenieur, which you can get with a blue dial: 

 

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/ingenieur/IW323909/

 

Like the VC, it's anti-magnetic. You can also get it on a strap. I've got no idea of pricing but I'd be willing to bet that the IWC is cheaper than the VC, too. 

+1

I really like the Ingenieur, I just wish the movement wasn't so pedestrian.  Yes, the IWC is I believe less than half the price of the Overseas time only model above...but part of that can be attributed to the movement.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post
 

 

my first 'serious' time piece. bought this puppy from a very good mate of mine who so happens to be a bespoke tailor.

Nice combination!  The 114270 Explorer is my favorite modern version of the Explorer.

post #46416 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post
 

The blue dial is quite nice, but the bracelet is a must. And like T&T I think I prefer the white dial. There are plenty of people in this thread who don't like the Overseas because they find the maltese cross motif a bit loud, but I find its incorporation stunning. If you are in to an Overseas I would not consider the Ingenieur, it just falls short (assuming you like the maltese cross motif, which I'm assuming you do). I love the bezel and case shape. The bracelet feels fantastic and the whole thing just sits wonderfully on the wrist (at least for me).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Sorry, but the only thing I like about this watch is the color of the dial, and that its not textured (I really disliked the texture found on the earlier Overseas models with silver/white dials).  The rest of the dial, I find very unappealing.  I don't like the huge lum markings and the big Arabic numerals, it makes the watch less versatile and less elegant than its competitors from PP and AP.  In addition I find the time only dial looks too cluttered with Arabic numerals, big lum next to them, and then a small Arabic 5 minute marker closest to the bezel. It almost becomes silly at the 12 marker (once they put on the Maltese Cross, VC and Geneve).  The date window might have worked there if the dial were white or the date wheel were blue,...but I don't like having a big white date aperture on the blue dial between 4 &5.  

 

I also do not care for the case shape or the transition from case to lugs on the current Overseas.  I prefer the last generation's design to the current model.  Also, if you can purchase a bracelet, it most like will cost you a rather significant sum, although I find the Maltese Cross design incorporation into the bracelet a bit too blingy.  Its just one step shy of wearing a Tshirt that says, "I'm wearing a Vacheron Constantin."

 

Not unlike @Dino944, you can count me on the "I dont like the VC Oversea much/at all" crowd. I find the dial to be pretty bland in term of design (compared to it's competitors, the Nautilus and the Royal Oak in the same color renderings). I also am not fond of the Arabic numerals and the shape of the hour markers. Plus, I find the Maltese cross design a bit rubbish (but I understand this is a matter of opinion, so I completely accept this opinion as my own, and not a fact). 

 

In the end, it's not that I find the watch truly repulsive. It's simply that for a roughly equivalent sum of money, I think my wrist would be better treated to a Royal Oak 15400/15300 or a Nautilus Jumbo (both on bracelet) - I find their design and style much more to my liking!

 

I saw @DLJr mentionned the Ingenieur - I personally find the design more appealing on the Inge line-up than that of the Oversea.

 

That is, of course, my 2 cents. 

post #46417 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

In the end, it's not that I find the watch truly repulsive. It's simply that for a roughly equivalent sum of money, I think my wrist would be better treated to a Royal Oak 15400/15300 or a Nautilus Jumbo (both on bracelet) - I find their design and style much more to my liking!

For me, it's probably the most wearable of that family. The RO would last maybe 2 weeks before I messed up the finish, so for me the RO is one of the least versatile watches around because I'm simply too clumsy to wear it as anything resembling a sport/casual setting, and I'm too conservative to wear it as a dress watch. The Nautilus I could do, but the price point is significantly different than the Overseas. I don't consider myself a loud or flashy person (heck I find the RO too flashy to wear as a dress watch), but I love the Overseas. Perhaps it's because the overwhelming majority of people I would run in to would have no idea what the Matlese Cross motif meant. Maybe I'd need them to throw in one of those T-Shirts Dino mentioned so people could be impressed.

post #46418 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post
 

For me, it's probably the most wearable of that family. The RO would last maybe 2 weeks before I messed up the finish, so for me the RO is one of the least versatile watches around because I'm simply too clumsy to wear it as anything resembling a sport/casual setting, and I'm too conservative to wear it as a dress watch. The Nautilus I could do, but the price point is significantly different than the Overseas. I don't consider myself a loud or flashy person (heck I find the RO too flashy to wear as a dress watch), but I love the Overseas. Perhaps it's because the overwhelming majority of people I would run in to would have no idea what the Matlese Cross motif meant. Maybe I'd need them to throw in one of those T-Shirts Dino mentioned so people could be impressed.

 

Like I said, it all comes down to personal opinion and I respect yours 100%. If everyone of us would all think alike, then things would get boring fairly quickly!

 

:fistbump:

post #46419 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
 

 

Like I said, it all comes down to personal opinion and I respect yours 100%. If everyone of us would all think alike, then things would get boring fairly quickly!

 

:fistbump:


Oh for sure, it would be extremely boring. I'm also totally okay with being in the minority here, I just wanted to speak up because I knew a lot of the critiques would be about the maltese theme (not the first time this watch has been brought up) and it appears the OP enjoys that theme considering he wants to purchase the bracelet as an addition and that's quite expensive. So I wasn't sure how helpful critiquing something that appears to be a draw to the OP is to him.

 

The Overseas (white dial) was long in the running for me as a sport watch. Ultimately, I will (most likely) go Rolex, which probably speaks louder to most people because it's simply more recognizable, but the modern Overseas really tugs at my heart. I just can't get enough of the bracelet on the wrist. I do agree with a lot of the critics of the dial, but I find them less of an issue on the white face. I'm curious what they'll release for the update, I think the movement is going in-house.

post #46420 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Been looking for a watch box for a while and finally landed on this from the guys at analog shift.
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Need to eventually add a Reverso and something else...perhaps a Mitsukoshi conversion dial Speedy.

Looks great, now you have to fill it.

 

I had to return mine to A/S.

There was a flaw in the fabrication that pulled the hinge out of the socket every time I opened it up past 80 degrees.

The guys were gracious about the return.

I did take a few pics while I had it. (You can see the flaw in the pic attached)

post #46421 of 48312
Wearing a Tag Carrera Re-edition from 1994.

post #46422 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post
 

Looks great, now you have to fill it.

 

I had to return mine to A/S.

There was a flaw in the fabrication that pulled the hinge out of the socket every time I opened it up past 80 degrees.

The guys were gracious about the return.

I did take a few pics while I had it. (You can see the flaw in the pic attached)

 

 

I do love the little houndstooth pillows instead of the traditional rigid, black sueded ones! Clever idea!

post #46423 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post


Oh for sure, it would be extremely boring. I'm also totally okay with being in the minority here, I just wanted to speak up because I knew a lot of the critiques would be about the maltese theme (not the first time this watch has been brought up) and it appears the OP enjoys that theme considering he wants to purchase the bracelet as an addition and that's quite expensive. So I wasn't sure how helpful critiquing something that appears to be a draw to the OP is to him.

While he might like the bracelet...I read this,  "I'm interested in hearing others thoughts/opinions on the Overseas in general & the Ultramarine in particular" as asking for opinions on the watch as a whole, and for me that would include the bracelet, as it is a major component of most watches.  He may still love the bracelet regardless of anyone's opinions about the bracelet, but in full disclosure about thoughts on the Overseas, IMHO the bracelet is fair game.  

 

I do think the Overseas, much like the Nautilus and RO, looks best on a bracelet...I just don't care for the bracelet they offer.   Personally, I am hoping for a major overhaul of the entire Overseas line next year.  I guess we will just have to see if it happens. 

post #46424 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze_rob View Post

Wearing a Tag Carrera Re-edition from 1994.

A magnificent timepiece! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

post #46425 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliq View Post




my first 'serious' time piece. bought this puppy from a very good mate of mine who so happens to be a bespoke tailor.

Great choice. Perhaps my favourite Rolex model that I don't own, after a Pepsi GMT-II.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)