But so what? I think it's remarkable that they have such appeal to both the least-informed and the best-informed ends of the spectrum. And either way, the customer ends up with a good watch.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/28/16 at 4:19am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3092post #46366 of 483129/25/15 at 7:43ampost #46367 of 483129/25/15 at 7:48amQuote:
I agree with you. I believe a majority of people probably buy a Rolex because they are buying into a luxury brand. To the OPs question, the price of a second hand Rolex is propped up by a host of different factors. One of this being its appeal to enthusiasts.post #46368 of 483129/25/15 at 7:50ampost #46369 of 483129/25/15 at 7:55amQuote:
I don't think enthusiasts are propping up the 116610 market which is what the OP asked about. I would say this is the case with 4 and 5 digit references.post #46370 of 483129/25/15 at 7:56ampost #46371 of 483129/25/15 at 7:58ampost #46372 of 483129/25/15 at 8:15amQuote:
I actually have no idea what proportion would qualify as enthusiasts, but it seems highly likely that it isn't the majority.
At least around here, it's probably a decent chunk, as Norwegians aren't particularly flashy when it comes to what they wear, and tend not to blow their money on watches —cars, boats and drinks are a different story — so the ones that do get something pricey are a bit more likely to be into the watch thing.
In any case, if I spot a nice watch on someone's wrist, I find it's best not to overanalyze it.post #46373 of 483129/25/15 at 8:18ampost #46374 of 483129/25/15 at 8:35ampost #46375 of 483129/25/15 at 8:57ampost #46376 of 483129/25/15 at 9:27ampost #46377 of 483129/25/15 at 11:07ampost #46378 of 483129/25/15 at 12:15pm
Sub is 14 years old, speedy is roughly 1-2 years old.
I will probably add an aqua terra mid size 38.5 in black dial. And yes this is done on purpose even though I've got already "similar" watches/configurations.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Edited by Francks - 9/25/15 at 12:26pmpost #46379 of 483129/25/15 at 12:23pmNice lume shots, Francks.
That's a great pair of sports watches.
And the two-liner Sub looks pretty good for 14 years of usage.Quote:
Oooh....I'll play this too! LOL
Might as well buy a
Quartz Timex Easy Reader
For way less than halfpost #46380 of 483129/25/15 at 12:28pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 2 seconds ago
- › Massdrop - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Rule of thumb 2 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 2 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 3 minutes ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 6 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...