or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3090  

post #46336 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by P12OFIT View Post

You are correct. At a quick glance I thought the protective tape was a blemish. I went and saw the watch today and it is in great shape. Due to your suggestion of DavidSW, I am hesitant to purchase the watch since I can get the same one with paperwork for just $300 more. I have a decision to make but feel that I will ultimately decide the extra $300 is worth having the full set for resale. 

I'll toss in my recommendation to work with him. I bought my Rolex GMT-BLNR from him about 18 months ago and it was a piece of cake. Had to have Rolex do one regulation on the movement six months ago, which they did for free while I waited, and it's been keeping perfect time since then. He's quick at responding to emails and questions and has tons and tons of recommendations. Good luck!
post #46337 of 48312
@bkotsko Looking good.

Wearing an Omega 1957 Broad Arrow today.
Edited by firenze_rob - 9/23/15 at 7:45am
post #46338 of 48312
Another nice chrono.

Black strap, or is that a deep brown?
post #46339 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post

I made a purchase too. They had the Exp. II tax free at LHR and I couldn't resist. Photo from SFO, about to fly to LAX then home.


A few thoughts on the Explorer II after a week:

- It's sized just right for my wrist. Probably the maximum I'd wear, which is why I went for this rather than e.g. a 44mm Luminor

- I bought it at LHR en route for a short US business trip, and because I didn't want to leave it in my hotel room, I wore it out there even with a suit. I wouldn't normally do this (I have a Nomos Tangente GMT for business trips), and I was surprised that the Explorer didn't feel horribly out of place with a suit

- The GMT function was very easy to read; easier I think than the Nomos (which has a 'date style' sub-dial with 24h hours). Also easy to set

- I'm still not a big fan of the Cyclops date window, but can live with it. I especially don't like the appearance when one of the hands is underneath the Cyclops

Overall, very pleased I got it - thanks for everyone's advice.
post #46340 of 48312
@Keith T Thanks.

It's on an OEM chocolate brown croc strap. I can dig up the ref number if you'd like. I found the original strap dimensions of the Speedmaster to be unbalanced. It tapers from 20mm to 16mm. Instead I put this watch on a 20/18 with a deployant.

post #46341 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post

A few thoughts on the Explorer II after a week:

- It's sized just right for my wrist. Probably the maximum I'd wear, which is why I went for this rather than e.g. a 44mm Luminor

- I bought it at LHR en route for a short US business trip, and because I didn't want to leave it in my hotel room, I wore it out there even with a suit. I wouldn't normally do this (I have a Nomos Tangente GMT for business trips), and I was surprised that the Explorer didn't feel horribly out of place with a suit

- The GMT function was very easy to read; easier I think than the Nomos (which has a 'date style' sub-dial with 24h hours). Also easy to set

- I'm still not a big fan of the Cyclops date window, but can live with it. I especially don't like the appearance when one of the hands is underneath the Cyclops

Overall, very pleased I got it - thanks for everyone's advice.

The Explorer II is a great piece, any reason why you picked the white dial versus the black?

Having owned a H series Panerai 177 (Luminor Marina in Titantium), I can say curved lugs hug the wrist and have a slimming effect.
post #46342 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze_rob View Post

The Explorer II is a great piece, any reason why you picked the white dial versus the black?

Having owned a H series Panerai 177 (Luminor Marina in Titantium), I can say curved lugs hug the wrist and have a slimming effect.

I just preferred the look of the white. Also, I have a 1974 Explorer I (1016) so the white face was a contrast to that.
post #46343 of 48312
Copying BK's pose. SD and EGs:

post #46344 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Copying BK's pose. SD and EGs:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Looking great, my friend.

post #46345 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by firenze_rob View Post

@Keith T Thanks.

It's on an OEM chocolate brown croc strap. I can dig up the ref number if you'd like. I found the original strap dimensions of the Speedmaster to be unbalanced. It tapers from 20mm to 16mm. Instead I put this watch on a 20/18 with a deployant.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Great choice. Was just curious...thanks for posting.


And +1 to tifosi, nice kicks you got there smile.gif
post #46346 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

And +1 to tifosi, nice kicks you got there smile.gif

Thank you, sir!

post #46347 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by P12OFIT View Post
 

 

You are correct. At a quick glance I thought the protective tape was a blemish. I went and saw the watch today and it is in great shape. Due to your suggestion of DavidSW, I am hesitant to purchase the watch since I can get the same one with paperwork for just $300 more. I have a decision to make but feel that I will ultimately decide the extra $300 is worth having the full set for resale. 

I'd spend the extra $300 and get the watch that has papers.  Having a full set will always make it more desirable and valuable than the same watch, in the same condition, but without papers. Good luck with whatever you decide.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post


A few thoughts on the Explorer II after a week:

- It's sized just right for my wrist. Probably the maximum I'd wear, which is why I went for this rather than e.g. a 44mm Luminor

- I bought it at LHR en route for a short US business trip, and because I didn't want to leave it in my hotel room, I wore it out there even with a suit. I wouldn't normally do this (I have a Nomos Tangente GMT for business trips), and I was surprised that the Explorer didn't feel horribly out of place with a suit

- The GMT function was very easy to read; easier I think than the Nomos (which has a 'date style' sub-dial with 24h hours). Also easy to set

- I'm still not a big fan of the Cyclops date window, but can live with it. I especially don't like the appearance when one of the hands is underneath the Cyclops

Overall, very pleased I got it - thanks for everyone's advice.

Ex2/GMT are very easy to read at a glance.  Easier than many world time watches I've seen, but its nice to have some variety.  Although, your Ex2 is slightly larger than the previous generation 16570, I've seen plenty of people wear them with a suit and they look fine.  Sure its, not as dressy as a pure dress watch, but as long as its not the dressiest of functions it will be fine with a suit.  

 

Congrats again and enjoy!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Copying BK's pose. SD and EGs:

:inlove:Love those EGs!  And the watch isn't half bad either! ;)

post #46348 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Copying BK's pose. SD and EGs:


EGs and Rolex, perfect combination!!!
post #46349 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Copying BK's pose. SD and EGs:


the perfect casual watch

hard to believe it was such a "poor" selling watch back in the day
post #46350 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post


the perfect casual watch

hard to believe it was such a "poor" selling watch back in the day

It probably has to do with people using them less and less as tools and weren't worth the premium over the Sub to the average wearer.  

 

Regardless, I think it's phenomenal and my favorite sports/dive Rolex I've owned. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)