Awesome - well done - welcome to the club.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 1:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 8:58 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3085post #46261 of 483129/17/15 at 3:27pmpost #46262 of 483129/17/15 at 7:31pm
No worries my friend. I know.Quote:
I've seen it with yellow gold and I don't really care for it (but IMHO, its better than when its paired with rose gold). Still if you like it with yellow gold, perhaps try a light shade of pink gold. Although today pink gold and rose gold are used interchangeably I believe many years ago there was a difference. There is a color rating system, I believe 2N might be white gold, yellow gold is definitely 3N, Pink starts at 4N, and it gets rosier at 5N, and I believe red gold starts at 6N or more. I've seen a list of color ratings in the past but can't find it.
Below is an interesting color chart showing composition and when the color of gold starts to change. In addition, even within the same brand sometimes different colors are used. VC uses both 4N and 5N for pink gold. If you look below, the watch image on top is 4N and the image below is 5N. Not the best photos, and taken at different times, but you can see that the one on the top is so faintly pink gold, it could be mistake for yellow gold. The one on the bottom has a bit of a rosier tone.post #46263 of 483129/18/15 at 12:19ampost #46264 of 483129/18/15 at 1:52ampost #46265 of 483129/18/15 at 6:58amWith responses to my Panerai discussion happening on a couple different pages, it's a pain to quote them all in this post, but thanks guys for the responses. I think I prefer the lugs on the 512 to the wire lugs on the 337. I'll definitely be looking at many strap options as I get closer to pulling the trigger on the watch. I think I had burgundy in my mind because that's what the OEM strap was on the 513 I looked at in rose gold, so it was in my head. But I'll probably end up with some type of brown. I really loved the rose gold 513, but I don't foresee wanting to pay the premium vs steel for what's likely to be worn mostly on the weekends only. Love this thread!post #46266 of 483129/18/15 at 8:35amQuote:Originally Posted by Dillardiv
With responses to my Panerai discussion happening on a couple different pages, it's a pain to quote them all in this post, but thanks guys for the responses. I think I prefer the lugs on the 512 to the wire lugs on the 337. I'll definitely be looking at many strap options as I get closer to pulling the trigger on the watch. I think I had burgundy in my mind because that's what the OEM strap was on the 513 I looked at in rose gold, so it was in my head. But I'll probably end up with some type of brown. I really loved the rose gold 513, but I don't foresee wanting to pay the premium vs steel for what's likely to be worn mostly on the weekends only. Love this thread!
I've got the 337 on a brown-ish burgundystrap and it looks great. Will try to find time to post up a photo over the weekend.post #46267 of 483129/18/15 at 8:37ampost #46268 of 483129/18/15 at 8:37amQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
Rolex spent more on advertising in the 1960s' 70's and 80s than any other luxury watch brand. So its not surprising its the best known luxury watch among average people. Years ago, in a product advertising study, of the 50 most recognized brand names- it was the only luxury watch brand that made the list.
Yes, Rolex, Omega, Breitling, and Cartier are far more common in average areas. They are good watches, there are lots of dealers, and are still relatively accessible with models that have MSRPs starting at under $8,000.
Outside of major cities you will rarely see AP, PP, VC, JLC, Lange, etc in the wild. They are much smaller companies, they have fewer ADs per region, and their entry level watches are far more expensive than that of Rolex, Omega, Breitling, an Cartier. In the nearly 3 years since I got my RO Jumbo, I've only seen AP's in the wild was in NYC, and the only time I've seen another person wearing a Jumbo was someone taking delivery of it in a store (in NYC).
Very reasonable explanation! Thank you!post #46269 of 483129/18/15 at 8:59amSold my Royal Oak 15400 . . . I had only worn it 3 times since I got the RG DDII. My broker was looking for a near mint one for one of his clients and offered almost what I paid for it--figured there was no reason to keep something around that I was not wearing at all.post #46270 of 483129/18/15 at 9:29amQuote:Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Sold my Royal Oak 15400 . . . I had only worn it 3 times since I got the RG DDII. My broker was looking for a near mint one for one of his clients and offered almost what I paid for it--figured there was no reason to keep something around that I was not wearing at all.
Your membership in the club has been revoked! Just kidding... yes not much point in keeping something you don't wear.post #46271 of 483129/18/15 at 9:50ampost #46272 of 483129/18/15 at 1:00pmpost #46273 of 483129/18/15 at 1:23pmpost #46274 of 483129/18/15 at 1:31pmpost #46275 of 483129/18/15 at 2:24pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 7 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 20 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 20 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 25 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 25 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 29 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...