or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3077  

post #46141 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Years ago Dunhill made very nice products.  They were a great company decades ago.  My father and his generation spoke highly of them as a brand.  But I think they went a bit down market.  Not sure if it was to try to get a broader audience (the way Tiffany & Co did with all their sterling silver merchandise), or if it was because of economic hard times. They still make nice lighters (not that I need one), but for most products they offer, I'd probably go with a different brand.  


They've yo-yoed up and own market a bit. At the moment they seem to be aiming more up-market. It's one of those brands where I like what I see in the adverts and I love all of the history but when I walk into the store, absolutely nothing grabs me, except the odd tie. And it's very expensive. I think it goes down better in the Asian markets.

 

The store in Mayfair is in a beautiful building, and there's a great little courtyard out front where you can get a coffee or a beer in the warmer weather. I still preferred the old Jermyn Street store, where you could go in, buy a cigar, and sit and smoke it.

 

I have heard that they still do some bespoke leather stuff which is of very high quality, but the OTR stuff - meh.

 

The watch that the OP referred to was indeed a reverso movement dressed up in what, at first glance, looked like quite a nice faceted case, but I saw one in the catalogue for an upcoming auction (one of the Knightsbridge ones I think) and I thought it hadn't aged well - it just looked a bit like a cheapo 'brand' watch, and was priced accordingly. Made me feel sad for the movement inside.

post #46142 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post


EDIT: Was it Dunhill that used to case up Reverso movements, that featured a faceted crystal? Their website shows a bunch of cufflinks and other cool $hit, but I don't find any watches.

(and they have some cool lighters).

I have a Dunhill Cityscape Traveller and my wife has a Facet. The Facet was a lovely design and certainly some models used JLC movements as they have the same owner.

They used to have a watchmaker on site in Jermyn St and later when they moved to Bourdon House where I had the watches serviced but he is no longer there and watches seem to have dropped from their catalogue.

The Facet is an often complemented watch my Citysacpe less so.
post #46143 of 48312

So here's a stock photo of the Dunhill watch.

 

 

 

It looks quite handsome, although I recall I looked at one IRL and thought it a tad too chunky. I prefer the Reverso (which I own), although I would give a little credit where it is due to this Dunhill watch, and (going way back) the Baume & Mercier Hampton, for influencing my thinking and steering me in the direction of a rectangular watch, and specifically the Reverso, as my first 'proper' watch.

 

I think there's always an issue with luxury non-watch brands producing high-end watches. Notwithstanding the quality of movement, I'd struggle to convince myself that, for example, a Ralph Lauren watch or a LV watch was a good purchase, because the branding can make it look a bit like a 'fashion watch'.

 

Here's another example. I think this RL watch is very handsome indeed (I don't know who makes the movement), but I'd see "Ralph Lauren" on there and think "fashion watch". It would actually be a lovely watch if it didn't have "Ralph Lauren" written on it.

 

 

Maybe I'm just a snob?

post #46144 of 48312
I too would back the Reverso the GRUT is now my go-to watch for office and city weekends.
post #46145 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

 

In terms of a watch that should almost certainly have to undergo engraving, I suppose it really doesn't get much better than a Reverso, does it? Though I suppose one does have to be a bit more careful about what is engraved and how!

 

Just curious what you mean by having to "be a bit more careful about what is engraved and how?"   

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

 


They've yo-yoed up and own market a bit. At the moment they seem to be aiming more up-market. It's one of those brands where I like what I see in the adverts and I love all of the history but when I walk into the store, absolutely nothing grabs me, except the odd tie. And it's very expensive.

 

I have heard that they still do some bespoke leather stuff which is of very high quality, but the OTR stuff - meh.

 

The watch that the OP referred to was indeed a reverso movement dressed up in what, at first glance, looked like quite a nice faceted case, but I saw one in the catalogue for an upcoming auction (one of the Knightsbridge ones I think) and I thought it hadn't aged well - it just looked a bit like a cheapo 'brand' watch, and was priced accordingly. Made me feel sad for the movement inside.

+1

 

I like the ads and their history.  My father has a bunch of dunhill pipes and used to purchase some of their other products many years ago.  They closed their Boston boutique (my nearest shop), I would guess 10-15 years ago. 

 

Last time I was in their NYC store, they had absorbed/purchased and were using another famous name of the past, Sulka, and were using it to market a few higher end items.  However, nothing was truly of interest and for the prices they wanted I would rather purchase merchandise from another company.

 

Yes, I remember the old faceted watch with Reverso movement.  It just isn't my taste. At the time I thought it looked too much like a fashion watch.  

post #46146 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

 

Just curious what you mean by having to "be a bit more careful about what is engraved and how?"   

 

 

Well you know, with a Reverso you can wear the engraving on the outside. So, aesthetically, it would need to be able to stand alone.

post #46147 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

 

I think there's always an issue with luxury non-watch brands producing high-end watches. Notwithstanding the quality of movement, I'd struggle to convince myself that, for example, a Ralph Lauren watch or a LV watch was a good purchase, because the branding can make it look a bit like a 'fashion watch'.

 

Here's another example. I think this RL watch is very handsome indeed (I don't know who makes the movement), but I'd see "Ralph Lauren" on there and think "fashion watch". It would actually be a lovely watch if it didn't have "Ralph Lauren" written on it.

 

+1 

 

I would much rather go to the source and buy a GP or JLC than a Zegna, Ralph Lauren etc.  I suppose there could be die hard Zenga and RL fans who want watches from the  same companies they purchase clothing and other products from, but I don't.   When I see watches from Gucci, Dior, Chanel I think fashion watch, and I feel the same about RL, Zegna (even if they use good movements).  I also find the styles of some of the RL pieces are trying "Too hard" to cash in on vintage designs, when they are a new watch company without any history or significant contributions to the watch world...so it seems a bit contrived to me.  

post #46148 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

 

Well you know, with a Reverso you can wear the engraving on the outside. So, aesthetically, it would need to be able to stand alone.

Thanks for clarifying that.  A Reverso definitely gives someone a great canvas to work from...you are only limited by your imagination!

post #46149 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

 

Well you know, with a Reverso you can wear the engraving on the outside. So, aesthetically, it would need to be able to stand alone.


You're right, but as a Reverso wearer I can probably count on one hand the number of times in seven years of ownership that I have deliberately left the engraved side outermost. It just has my initials on. There is no real reason to leave it outwards. If I am doing something that might ding it then I'm not wearing it in the first place. Once or twice I have found myself in an impromptu situation that justifies it, but very rarely.


So what's the point of it? Well it's great to fiddle with in meetings. Flipping it over and back. And it's nice to know it's there. If it was a wedding-related engraving, then it would be really nice to know it was there. My one reservation when buying it was that I'd never wear it face in, and so what was the point in having the mechanism showing. In real life, you just don't notice the mechanism or the very tiny gap between the back of the watch and the watch itself. And the mechanism is so smooth, precise and secure that a casual observer would never know what it did.

post #46150 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

+1 

 

I would much rather go to the source and buy a GP or JLC than a Zegna, Ralph Lauren etc.  I suppose there could be die hard Zenga and RL fans who want watches from the  same companies they purchase clothing and other products from, but I don't.   When I see watches from Gucci, Dior, Chanel I think fashion watch, and I feel the same about RL, Zegna (even if they use good movements).  I also find the styles of some of the RL pieces are trying "Too hard" to cash in on vintage designs, when they are a new watch company without any history or significant contributions to the watch world...so it seems a bit contrived to me.  

 

You know a cynic might say that applies to the whole RL empire...!

 

Although in fairness he's been around a few years now.

post #46151 of 48312
I bought a Reverso UT for cycling to and from the office. The idea was to flip it to save any dings (even though in 30+ years of cycling - and a few tumbles - I've never damaged a watch).

About a month after purchase I notices a few scratches - on the dial side

:-/
post #46152 of 48312

Jesus, that's brave. I used to cycle-commute and no way did I wear my Reverso. It went in a little leather box, well packed out, swaddled in clothing, in my rucksack. It was partly the fear of a stack, but also the significant vibration through the bars just couldn't be doing it any good so I thought why take the risk?

 

And whatever the steel they use on Reversos, it attracts scatches like nothing else.

post #46153 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
 

 

You know a cynic might say that applies to the whole RL empire...!

 

Although in fairness he's been around a few years now.

+1

 

He had been around for a while but yes, one could definitely say that.

 

Personally, I like the old images in their boutiques showing Gary Cooper, Bogarts, Cary Grant etc wearing suits.  Its sort of inspiring when one is looking at say their Purple Label merchandise and you are surrounded by images of the past when leading men looked sophisticated and well dressed, as opposed to today with leading men wearing their best hoodies and flip flops.

 

I do think the cowboy American western theme RL sometimes goes for is a bit silly considering Ralph is from the Bronx.  Cheers!

post #46154 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

Jesus, that's brave. I used to cycle-commute and no way did I wear my Reverso. It went in a little leather box, well packed out, swaddled in clothing, in my rucksack. It was partly the fear of a stack, but also the significant vibration through the bars just couldn't be doing it any good so I thought why take the risk?

And whatever the steel they use on Reversos, it attracts scatches like nothing else.

Good point on the vibration - I hadn't though of that. Seems to be OK though (for now).
post #46155 of 48312

All good points, boy there is a lot of love for the Reverso here. Even still, I think I might prefer the MUT moon buy a hair. Luckily I'm not the one who has to decide!

 

 

Anyhow, regardless of the marketing they use to keep up with the times, I still have a great deal of respect for Ralph Lauren as a brand. For an American designer, I think they've kept a pretty good balance between classic and modern styling. I'd go so far as to say RL is my overall favorite American designer.

 

But I feel much the same as Dino when I look at watches from any fashion brand. Sunglasses too (they're virtually all made by either Luxottica or Marcolin). In a store full of quality, brand-designed items, these types pieces stand out like the boy who wrote his name on someone else's homework.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)