or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3068  

post #46006 of 48312
So uhh I made the mistake of handling some Langes in person... the want is strong.
post #46007 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

First ding, you should throw a party!

It's only now that the watch is really, officially yours!

Partly kidding of course, dings suck. But it beats locking watches away in safes and handling them only with white gloves. Enjoy your Milgauss!

Yeah, BMW interior plastics - Rolex supersturdy 904L steel: 1-0. Of course I expected scratches, thought I wouldn't do it on the first week smile.gif

These all are usable objects and you're right, dings and scratches give them personality. It's been now baptized.
post #46008 of 48312
Speaking of dings: My watches have all shown an unhealthy attraction to door jambs. Be they in buildings, autos, boats, trains, planes; all seem to entice.
post #46009 of 48312




Out of the Spanish blue...
post #46010 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

So uhh I made the mistake of handling some Langes in person... the want is strong.

That can be dangerous for your $$$, but they are beautiful!!!  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

Speaking of dings: My watches have all shown an unhealthy attraction to door jambs. Be they in buildings, autos, boats, trains, planes; all seem to entice.

Dings happen...although, I've noticed some friends with particularly large watches tend to pick up worse dings.  They often forget how thick some larger watches can be until BANG...it hits a door knob or door jam.  

post #46011 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

If you are not in a hurry you can always wait and see what happens with the DJII.  If you don't see what you are looking for after Basel, perhaps you should look into a Milgauss.  If you don't need a date, at 39 mm it has IMHO better proportions than the current 41mm DJII, it has a similar appearance to a DJ, but with a few other details that may make it more interesting to some people.   Out of the others you mentioned, my favorite is the JLC 1931, but I know its flat case back doesn't sit well on some wrists.  Good luck with your journey.  

 

 

Re: the Milgauss I've ruled out watches without dates. I also really dislike the seconds hand...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Yes, that's why I was saying that if you're going for a DJII, don't buy new — unlike cars, they hold their value after the inital depreciation hit.

 

 

Gotya...it's just more enjoyable being the first owner of a luxury 'piece!

 

I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on the newish 38mm Calibre de Cartier. It fits a bit larger than 38mm & has a slightly different dial than the 42mm version:

 

post #46012 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on the newish 38mm Calibre de Cartier. It fits a bit larger than 38mm & has a slightly different dial than the 42mm version:

The hands, though too short for the dial, are nice.

Other than that, I see a lot of amateurish elements, especially the date placement. What's the point of getting ValFleurier to make movements for them so they can claim "in-house" if they can't even be bothered to specify a date wheel that fits the dial? It would have looked fine if the inner edge of the date window aligned with the inner hour-marker circle instead of clumsily sitting inboard. Even worse is the cut-off “III” in the space the other side should be occupying. That kind of ham-fisted date placement is the calling card of an off-the-shelf ETA/Sellita/Soprod/Spooginar movement.

There’s no excuse for the cheap, generic sans-serifs used for the seconds subdial and date, either.

While it's at least better than the 42 mm model, I still don't think it's the type of watch that's going to age gracefully. Unlike the Datejust, this one will likely just keep depreciating; it’s just a bit too badly drawn. It doesn’t look like a finished design to me.
Edited by Belligero - 8/31/15 at 12:13am
post #46013 of 48312

More indecisive mealy-mouthed waffle from Belligero.  *sigh*  Wish he'd just give an opinion.

 

And what have you got against the House of Spooginar anyway?

post #46014 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

And what have you got against the House of Spooginar anyway?
Nothing wrong with 'em, just not worth getting too excited over. On the plus side, servicing can be performed by almost anyone.
post #46015 of 48312

With just a normal set of domestic cutlery, so I'm told.

post #46016 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

The hands, though too short for the dial, are nice.

Other than that, I see a lot of amateurish elements, especially the date placement. What's the point of getting ValFleurier to make movements for them so they can claim "in-house" if they can't even be bothered to specify a date wheel that fits the dial? It would have looked fine if the inner edge of the date window aligned with the inner hour-marker circle instead of clumsily sitting inboard. Even worse is the cut-off “III” in the space the other side should be occupying. That kind of ham-fisted date placement is the calling card of an off-the-shelf ETA/Sellita/Soprod/Spooginar movement.

There’s no excuse for the cheap, generic sans-serifs used for the seconds subdial and date, either.

While it's at least better than the 42 mm model, I still don't think it's the type of watch that's going to age gracefully. Unlike the Datejust, this one will likely just keep depreciating; it’s just a bit too badly drawn. It doesn’t look like a finished design to me.
Yikes! I would have just said that it doesn't do much for me. shog[1].gif



Now I'm curious to hear your opinion of this Cartier piece.


post #46017 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

So uhh I made the mistake of handling some Langes in person... the want is strong.

Yeah, tell me about it! My favourite watch pusher has the Grosse Lange 1 in platinum, and surprise: it fit me quite well satisfied.gif That thing is just lovely, and has a nice heft to it. The backside is perhaps the most lovely thing about it.

FBD6C334-6703-4880-85B0-733E9D2F3DEC_zpscktxct2u.jpg

Not exactly on my immediate list, but Lange has some droolworthy models. I quite like the look of the 1815 AB/AUF, but I have yet to try it on.

Anyway, yesterday was a casual 60th birthday party for my mother-in-law. A lovely seaside restaurant, windy but sunny. Bling was in order.

C6075B0B-BAA1-4373-BEEF-624698CD8928_zpsmuzh1bfl.jpg

3282BB18-B3B2-46CD-8E2F-1E9F2B8E6059_zpsyvrxvnyz.jpg
post #46018 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

Yikes! I would have just said that it doesn't do much for me. shog[1].gif



Now I'm curious to hear your opinion of this Cartier piece.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Ah, now that's more like it! I appreciate most of Cartier's classic designs, including the Tank Américaine. I still think it would be improved by not having a date display, but at least it's much less jarring than any of the Calibre models.


I like to be specific with my critique; how else are they supposed to fix that mess? smile.gif

It seems that Richemont is trying to turn Cartier (and IWC) into another Panerai. It's unfortunate, as they've definitely done better in the recent past:


image credit: deployant.com
post #46019 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

it's just more enjoyable being the first owner of a luxury 'piece!
That feeling doesn't even register with me (with the exception of my Charvet boxers tongue.gif). Probably because the most highly sought after collectables, the stuff I really treasure, are mostly all preowned. Though I do admit to occasionally being moved by an item's provenance, for the most part its ownership history is incidental.
post #46020 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

 

I'm interested in hearing other's opinions on the newish 38mm Calibre de Cartier. It fits a bit larger than 38mm & has a slightly different dial than the 42mm version:

I'm a big fan of Cartier cufflinks and watches, but I tend to prefer the watches they were making several years ago.  I am not a fan of the Calibre in any size.  I've tried on the 42 and the Calibre dive watch and the only 2 improvements I see with the 38, is they are no longer using a mix of sticks, Romans, and Arabic numerals on the dial (which I find a stylistic mess), and the 38 doesn't have that annoying date window displaying 3 dates (although I don't like the window's trapezoid shape or it cutting into the III). I have tried them on and I did not like how they sat on my wrist with a strap or a bracelet.  I found the bracelet to be like a bulkier variation of an Oyster bracelet, but less comfortable.  So I'd skip the Calibre models altogether.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post


Yikes! I would have just said that it doesn't do much for me. shog[1].gif



Now I'm curious to hear your opinion of this Cartier piece.

 

I like the Tank Americaine a lot, particularly in YG or RG.  The case is classic Cartier and the curved shape makes it quite comfortable.  Like Belligero, I favor the  manual wind versions, which do not have a seconds hand or date.  They were part of a smaller production run.  I particularly like the versions that were part of their Privee Collection.  A friend of mine has one with Romans, but they also did one with "Exploding" numerals.  

 

img59405195.jpg

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligero View Post


Ah, now that's more like it! I appreciate most of Cartier's classic designs, including the Tank Américaine. I still think it would be improved by not having a date display.

image credit: deployant.com

+1 one on preferring the Tank Americaine without the date....that Tortue Monopoussoir is stunning.  One of my friends has one in YG and its amazing!   At some point I might consider adding one in RG. 

 

Mrs. Dino some how managed to lose 2 of the 4 case back screws in her large automatic Tank Francaise, and as its been several years since it was serviced we popped into our local boutique to drop it off for repairs/service. While waiting our sales associate insisted I play with a few of their new fine watch making pieces and who am I to argue with someone offering to let me play with some new watches.  Most don't appeal to me, and the pricing has gotten a bit crazy on their high end pieces, however here are a few interesting models I tried. 

 

The Tank Louis Cartier Skeleton Sapphire watch

The Rotonde de Cartier Mystery Movement watch (like their famous Mystery Clocks), the hands appear to be floating and not in contact with anything.  

I should have snapped a photo of the back the architecture of the movement, which is very cool and sort of arc shaped, fitting behind just the solid 

section of the dial.   Sadly, it looks better without the hair on my wrist serving as background through the port hole. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)