36mm isnt a bad size at all for a dress watch. If you prefer the 38mm, and are just looking at the mini because its available or the price is lower...pass.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 5:17 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 2:23 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3056post #45826 of 483128/19/15 at 7:35ampost #45827 of 483128/19/15 at 7:57amQuote:
I think 36 to 38mm is the absolute sweet spot for dimensions for a dress watch. I go as low as 34-35mm for a vintage piece.post #45828 of 483128/19/15 at 9:07amQuote:
I can easily wear a watch that is 35 or 36mm. My ref 17000 Oysterquartz is 36mm and it fits just fine, and my 36mm Explorer 1 was a great watch. That being said, the 36mm Lange 1 would be a no go for me. While the size of the smallest L1 might be wearable, I believe you are essentially buying the ladies version of the Lange 1. I don't say this to be funny, but I believe that is how it was marketed. I think if someone has a very small wrist it would be a fine choice. However, you have already demonstrated with your ownership of several 40+mm watches that you don't have an unusually small wrist that requires going with the 36.
Considering you own other watches that are over 40mm, what is your motivation for going with the 36 vs the standard sized Lange 1 which is 38.5? Its it merely its price and availability at the moment? If you are spending enough to buy a platinum Lange 1, wait and get the one you really want. Taking into account the watch and your wrist, you run the risk of looking down at your wrist and frequently wondering if you should have gotten the 38.5. If this is not a "Keeper" I think you will also find the 36mm a tough size to resell or trade if the time comes for that.
My father has a platinum Lange 1 and the 38.5 is really a wonderful size for a L1. Its modern without being ridiculously over sized, the ratio of the case diameter to its height is simply ideal, and it has a nice weight to it. I think if you go to try on the 36mm, you owe it to yourself to try on a 38.5 on the same day to have a real idea of how you feel about each size.
Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.post #45829 of 483128/19/15 at 9:11ampost #45830 of 483128/19/15 at 9:14amQuote:
Perhaps, if you are questioning if its trying to hard to own a Lange 1, ...then maybe you have answered that question for yourself.
Also, perhaps the question should not be what would our impression be if we saw a guy wearing a 36mm Lange 1, as it doesn't really affect us as we are not the one wearing or owning it. Perhaps the question should be, "How would you feel if you were wearing a 36 mm L1, and you were in a room and you saw someone about your size wearing a 38.5mm L1? Would you feel good about your watch, or would you feel you only got it because "You were getting a deal" and deep down be wishing you had the 38.5? That is a question only you can answer.post #45831 of 483128/19/15 at 9:17amQuote:Originally Posted by RogerPQuote:
I think 36 to 38mm is the absolute sweet spot for dimensions for a dress watch. I go as low as 34-35mm for a vintage piece.
agreed. I wouldnt turn down a thin 40mm, but a 36-38 fits perfectly under the cuff and is elegangt as can be.post #45832 of 483128/19/15 at 9:28ampost #45833 of 483128/19/15 at 9:57ampost #45834 of 483128/19/15 at 10:09ampost #45835 of 483128/19/15 at 11:11ampost #45836 of 483128/19/15 at 12:18pmpost #45837 of 483128/19/15 at 2:50pmI think if you try both on, it will be fairly obvious to you personally which is the best choice.
Sometimes that's the trick of course... finding the two sizes at the same place and time, in order to make the comparison.post #45838 of 483128/19/15 at 11:58pmpost #45839 of 483128/20/15 at 4:54ampost #45840 of 483128/20/15 at 5:37am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 25 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 34 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 40 minutes ago
- › Carmina Balmoral Boots / NEW 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Orban's - Cheap, affordable European made Goodyear Welted shoes 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › The 27 Year Old Virgin 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...