3970! holy moley!. Hey frills whats your view on the 5270? no tach vs chin vs overlap? Someday hopefully ill be able to grab a perpetual chrono
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 7:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/28/16 at 4:19am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3048post #45707 of 483128/13/15 at 6:07amQuote:
The 5270 is a handsome piece in the metal. I have my aesthetic qualms with its design, like how the subdials are below the equator (now you can't unsee it, like when you find out Bradley Cooper's right eye is about a full inch higher than his left), but once you see it on your wrist it is quite lovely. I've seen it evolve over the years, with friends catching the first generation 5270G and all of us heading to Patek USA's HQ and seeing watchmakers put the new CH29-535 movement head to head against the old Lemania-based CH27-70 movement powering the 3970 and 5970.
Net, net - the CH29-535 is really technically superior to the CH27-70. Will any regular user ever actually see this technical superiority manifest? Probably not, but that's not the point I suppose when it comes to pushing the boundaries of technical achievement in timepieces. Most users cannot tell the difference between the images produced by a basic Canon SL1 (retail sub-$500) versus a full frame Canon 5DS R (retail USD3,000+), but you'll have enthusiasts flocking to the more expensive gear anyway.
Patek won't admit to this, but they pretty much shifted gears with the Leno chin version and discontinued it this year. Some speculate that said Leno references are now going to be more expensive in the future given limited supply - but who knows, really. Personally, I don't like the Leno tach - although to be fair, the split seconds chrono 5204Ps actually have the same chin, but not in such a pronounced way!
The latest generation of the 5270 - with tach, no chin, in RG, or WG with blue dial - seem to be the versions where Patek "finally" got it right. Current price trends suggest that they are on to something:
1. The first generation 5270s and the Leno tach versions are trading between USD115-USD120K
2. The latest generation 5270s trade about $10K higher than that - a friend of mine bagged a blue dial two days ago at USD135K.
But, Patek is still pricing these things... how shall I say this?... "aspirationally." Before the US price cut (first time in recent history!), the 5270G's MSRP was USD176,300. Now, it's USD164,000 (7% price cut)... But the actual prices for watches being bought, whether through ADs or the secondary market, are much lower (see above).
These are, I suppose, grail pieces, and should be priced at a premium given the complication and aesthetics they offer. Time will tell whether these prices will continue to go up, or not... Before the 2008 crisis the 3970s in platinum were clearing for close to USD200K. Those prices have yet to recover.post #45708 of 483128/13/15 at 7:58ampost #45709 of 483128/13/15 at 1:19pmpost #45710 of 483128/14/15 at 4:38ampost #45711 of 483128/14/15 at 4:54amThread StarterPAM 62 is the best Radiomir ever made IMO (most Paneristi would disagree and vote for PAM 21). I wish I hadn't been so indecisive when I had the opportunity to buy one 10 years ago. Instead, I got a sub - which I sold off quickly. Never would have let go of the 62.post #45712 of 483128/14/15 at 5:24ampost #45713 of 483128/14/15 at 6:56ampost #45714 of 483128/14/15 at 7:10am
Of all the day counters in the world, there is none I like better on a casual watch than a perverted 1630. Those 62s are delicious.
It's the 2100s and (ugh!) 1800s, on dress watches in particular, that I just can't stomach.post #45715 of 483128/14/15 at 7:12ampost #45716 of 483128/14/15 at 7:12ampost #45717 of 483128/14/15 at 9:07ampost #45718 of 483128/14/15 at 9:33ampost #45719 of 483128/14/15 at 11:09am
Just heard form my Dealer that Nomos expects to ship out the next batch of Metro's by the end of the month...getting really antsy for it. Sold off all my watches except for my PAM in anticipation of this watch figuring I'd have it by the end of July. As much as I love my PAM, wearing one watch for a month and a half is really working up the anticipation.post #45720 of 483128/14/15 at 11:14am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The Official RRL Thread 12 seconds ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 7 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 minutes ago
- › The Proper Kit Trunk Show, Saturday, Nov 5, New York, by Styleforum... 13 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 14 minutes ago
- › The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread 16 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 16 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 17 minutes ago
- › Cartier vs Omega 20 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...