Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 5:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 10:43 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3040post #45586 of 483128/5/15 at 8:07ampost #45587 of 483128/5/15 at 8:28amQuote:Originally Posted by tigerpac
What's everyone think of the recent Montblanc offerings? Got a chance to handle their latest Minerva-made models last night. Some very nice stuff that has mostly slipped under the radar a bit.
Its been covered here before. Not interested in Montblanc offerings, unless maybe I was in the market for a pen. For years they made garish designs, now their designs range from boring, to elegant looking designs borrowed from JLCs (but with everything too close to the center of the dial from using small movements in large cases), to overly complicated goofy looking watches. For what they cost there are many other watches I'd much rather own.
Congrats! Looks great and I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.post #45588 of 483128/5/15 at 8:48ampost #45589 of 483128/5/15 at 9:16ampost #45590 of 483128/5/15 at 10:01amQuote:
Sorry still not impressed with Montblanc, since you last brought them up a few months ago. However, if you are that enamored with them, put your $$$ where you mouth is and pull the trigger.
P.S. and even if it wouldn't be my first choice in watches, I'll gladly congratulate you and hope you enjoy it for many years.
Edited by Dino944 - 8/5/15 at 10:13ampost #45591 of 483128/6/15 at 2:28ampost #45592 of 483128/6/15 at 3:50amQuote:
After e-mailing and chatting to the owner - dark rhodium plated hands and chapter rings, cream dial, brushed top face of body, movement gold plated with Geneva stripes.
I can show photos as it is built if you like.post #45593 of 483128/6/15 at 7:10amÀ propos de nothing:
I removed Hodinkee from my RSS feed today — it's become too much and too spammy. Although it's still probably the best blog on the subject, I just don't give enough of a shit about keeping up with it.
"Watches" and "news" don't belong together, anyway. I'll enjoy the silence.post #45594 of 483128/6/15 at 7:26am
Jack Forster churns out at article a day on watches I don't care about so I only check out the site once a week now and just scroll through the headlines.
The average Hodinkee reader which I do not fit:
"The typical HODINKEE reader holds a master’s degree or higher, browses from his professional office, earns more than $300,000 per year, owns 11 watches, and purchases, on average, three watches per year with an average value of $5,000 or higher per watch."post #45595 of 483128/6/15 at 7:46amIndeed, I have to wonder whether it's the same Forster who not too long ago lamented the complete lack of credibility and reasoned critique in watch journalism:
The Good, The Bad, And The Inexcusable: On Writing About Watches
"How many watch writers have any education in design, or the formal necessities of good critical writing?"
Not many, evidently.
What he's been writing and editing for Hodinkee to date has been disappointing in its excessively-enthusiastic superficiality. No doubt it's just a matter of time until their first handbag feature.
Edited by Belligero - 8/6/15 at 8:22ampost #45596 of 483128/6/15 at 8:03amQuote:
Indeed it is the same person. I think he was pretty open about his own tendency to not lambaste watches in his article.
I imagine one would have to operate with a certain diplomacy if they're going to be asked back. Hodinkee gets amazing access to a lot of the brands and I think they do a good job with that diplomacy. There are plenty of other sites that don't seem to give a damn about access and do go after stuff they don't like. So there's a spectrum as with most news sites.post #45597 of 483128/6/15 at 8:18amI was hoping for fewer, higher-quality articles over three fluff pieces a day — naïvely, as it turned out.
The need for tact is understandable, but I didn't expect that his writing and editing would be so... insubstantial.post #45598 of 483128/6/15 at 8:24ampost #45599 of 483128/6/15 at 8:45ampost #45600 of 483128/6/15 at 9:37amQuote:
Looks like you are off to a good start. Its always good to have goals. Hopefully, you will be able to reward yourself with that VC someday.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Fantasy Football 2016 sign up! Ends 8/21 2 minutes ago
- › Video Games 3 minutes ago
- › WTB Alden Longwings 7.5 3 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › BRAND NEW SPECIAL ORDER TWO PIECE 100% WOOL VERSACE SUIT 8 minutes ago
- › 3sixteen Denim Series, Bracelets, Shirts... 8 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 12 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...