or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3023  

post #45331 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Sorry, guys. @no frills asked for it.



Inspired by your car shoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

FWIW I love the Black Bay (both in Burgundy/Red and Blue) despite the colored stem - in fact I quite like it actually!
Man.. All this talk about the BB, really really close to pulling the trigger:brick:
post #45332 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post
 


Hahah! It does look a bit blue, doesn't it?  Trick of the light only, unfortunately (fortunately?)...

 

Lunch with fellow watch enthusiasts.

 

 

That IWC Big Pilot is awesome :slayer:

post #45333 of 48312
In platinum, for extra extraness. Just the way Frilly likes it.
post #45334 of 48312
Must buy new through Authorized Dealer

Must buy with Manufacturer Warranty in effect

Must service only through Authorized Service Center

Must adhere strictly to Manufacturer Recommended Service Schedule


post #45335 of 48312

Interesting conversation in here and an excellent SD kop.

 

As for the old Les Paul argument, being in Nashville you sort of hear about this Gibson brand because their headquarters is here.  Henry Juszkiewicz, the CEO, states that those old Les Pauls would not even pass under today's stricter standards.  They would be thrown to the scrap pile that they legitimately burn instead of repurpose.  As for the sound, a very subjective topic, I would point to the famed Stradivarius violins that fetch millions.  There have been tests done with people who have amazing insight into violins and their sounds and they cannot tell a Straivarius from other current top of the line violins.

 

As for service periods, I learned that Volkswagens love to eat oil so if you follow their service intervals, you are going to have car troubles.  My car eats a quart of oil every 1,200 miles when some "spirited" driving occurs.

post #45336 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

On a waterproof Rolex, sure I think a 5 year service interval is way too short, and it can go well beyond that. 

@Tried and True

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

Must adhere strictly to Manufacturer Recommended Service Schedule
 

Not sure where you think I said one has to stick to the manufacturer's recommended service schedule.  In fact I said the opposite. Maybe its time for new reading glasses?

post #45337 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

Sheep, reminds me of Rolex Sub and GMT owners. Only kidding :)

post #45338 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup View Post

Sheep, reminds me of Rolex Sub and GMT owners. Only kidding smile.gif

Bad form.

Proud and happy owner, Not kidding.



post #45339 of 48312
sheep you say @iLuveketchup ? Jealous much? I'm only kidding.
post #45340 of 48312
baaaa baaaaaaaa
post #45341 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

Proud and happy owner, Not kidding.
 

All that matters that you are happy with them. :cheers: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post

sheep you say @iLuveketchup ? Jealous much? I'm only kidding.

Totally green. 

post #45342 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup View Post

All that matters that you are happy with them. cheers.gif  
Totally green. 

True, and you have the right to have your own opinion. But choosing to have an opinion which might be considered as insulting might best be kept to yourself.
post #45343 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

The Black Bay felt very nice but, as I suspected, I just couldn't get past the coloured stem next to the crown. Why, oh why did Tudor have to colour that and why couldn't it just have a normal, screw-down crown without the coloured stem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I'm really drawn to the Black Bay.  Funny about the coloured stem - it doesn't jump out at me: I remember trying the Omega Planet Ocean with the blue liquidmetal, and being put off by the same thing on the pushers of the chrono version.  But on the crown alone, it doesn't bug me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty77 View Post

All this talk about the BB, really really close to pulling the trigger:brick:

I don't mind the colored crown tube and it really isn't that noticeable irl, at least on the Midnignt Blue one, especially when worn. My only knock on the Black Bay, if I were to nitpick, is that I wish the case wasn't as thick as it is.



@Novelty77 OCD tip of the day: If you pick up a BB and intend to wear it mostly on straps, I suggest you consider buying the strap version and buy the ss bracelet as an extra. Reason: because of the tight tolerance between the end links and the case, it might very well be impossible to remove the ss bracelet without leaving a few micro scratches on the top and bottom of the case where it meets the end links. In fact, I suspect the case may even get marked a bit when the bracelet is initially installed at the factory.

There's also the fact that current/modern Rolex and Tudor end links have tiny openings which generally require a Rolex 3200 tool (nearly impossible to purchase, unless you have a privileged relationship with your AD) to safely remove (i.e. w/o scratching the case and/or lugs). Bergeon makes a similar 7825 tool with extra fine fork tips, but it was backordered at OFREI when I checked recently. I ended up buying the REGINE HORLOGERY VOH spring bar plier/tweezer M-XL and while the tips were indeed small enough to fit in the BB end link openings, I just couldn't get it to properly grab the springbars...

Otoh, you can easily push back the leather and remove a strap with any $5 spring bar tool without marking the case (use the big flat tip with a notch in it, not the small forked tip, to simultaneoulsy push back the strap and spring bar!)...

Disclaimer: I realize the leather strap on the BB looks really cheap and plasticky. I'm only recommending the strap version if the buyer intends to wear the BB on straps (other aftermarket leather or NATO straps) as switching out the original leather strap is way easier than removing the ss bracelet if you want to do it yourself.
Edited by Wes Bourne - 7/22/15 at 12:03pm
post #45344 of 48312
@Wes Bourne, thanks for the tip on the Rolex bracelet tool. On the other hand, scrapes come with the territory. I've been changing straps to JLC DSC a lot (using Bergeon 6767-F) and insides of the lugs bear some marks but that's life.
Edited by kimmo - 7/22/15 at 1:52pm
post #45345 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmo View Post

@Wes Bourne, thanks for the tip on the Rolex bracelet tool. On the other hand, scrapes come with the territory. I've been changing straps to JLC DSC a lot (using Bergeon 6767-F) and insides of the lugs bear some marks but that's life.

I guess some scratches might be inevitable, but the first few always bring a tear to my eyes.

For strap changes, I've found that you can prevent most scratches inside of lugs by taping the inside of lug tips. Push the strap back as far as you can from the lug with your fingers and slip the large fork end of the tool in to further push the strap back while engaging the springbar flange at the same time.

Fwiw, I use a generic tool similar to the Bergeon 6111 for strap changes:



The large fork 'is the most useful end for removing spring bars quickly on leather straps and is the end which will remove the bars on Seiko rubber divers bands. The small fork is for grabbing spring bars for the backside of metal bands'.

You have a much greater chance of scratching lugs if you use the fine forked tip to remove straps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)