or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3019  

post #45271 of 48312
^ awesome - really defines 'tool watch'. Great find. Enjoy.
post #45272 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ B ~ View Post

Something simple for this bright sunny Sunday afternoon...


 

 

Love the blue strap! goes very well with the dial! china pride eh? Y is the crown protruding out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Front side of yesterday's purchase:

 

Very nice! suits u very well. is your wrist 7" and larger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Not a new watch but a colorful shot

Wow, I can't imagine what kind of pants and shoes u paired with the blue floral shirt and hulk...

 

WOTD

post #45273 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Thanks! smile.gif Don't have many more pics, yet. I'll start collecting them soon. Although I know you guys hate seeing pics of the same watch all the time...... lurker[1].gif


Congratulations! At your risk, please post pictures of this same watch again! Hahahah!

Does that "hump back" bother you at all at the end of a day's wear? Not me.
post #45274 of 48312
Summer rubbers for maximum protection and comfort...two new arrivals from Hirsch: the "Robby" rubber-lined canvas with perforations, for the Spezimatic Weltzeit - I'm really liking how the curve of the strap complements the case shape, and the perforations give it that sporty seventies feel. And a natural caoutchouc number in contrasting blue, for the Orange Monster. Really comfortable, though slightly fatter than stated size between the lugs - I wonder if that's deliberate?

Anyway, very happy with these two: it seems to me that there are bargains to be had with the Poor Man's Watches, but with straps, maybe you get what you pay for?






Edited by mimo - 7/20/15 at 11:55am
post #45275 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty77 View Post
 

 

Very nice! suits u very well. is your wrist 7" and larger?

 

Thank you. My wrist is right around 7" or right above.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post


Congratulations! At your risk, please post pictures of this same watch again! Hahahah!

Does that "hump back" bother you at all at the end of a day's wear? Not me.

Thanks, Frills. Haven't even noticed the hump back. Starting with my 36mm Explorer, I began wearing my watch on the tighter side. I used to wear all my Subs loose so when I would have my arm down, my watch would slide over my wrist bone and onto my hand. The EXP was so comfortable I didn't know if it was just because of the lightness or just the way I was wearing it. Yes, the EXP was light and contributed to it, but I decided to size the SD on the tighter side and what a difference it made compared to my other Subs. The watch stays above my wrist bone and settles into the top of my wrist. So much more comfortable than having the watch flopping around.

 

You can see how I used to wear my SubC:

 

 

Compare that to the above pic of the SD and you can see how  it's settling into my wrist. Much more comfortable. I'm sure the SubC would have been just as comfortable if I wore it tighter as well. Never tried it. Maybe when I get the LV-C....

post #45276 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

 

Thanks, Frills. Haven't even noticed the hump back. Starting with my 36mm Explorer, I began wearing my watch on the tighter side. I used to wear all my Subs loose so when I would have my arm down, my watch would slide over my wrist bone and onto my hand. The EXP was so comfortable I didn't know if it was just because of the lightness or just the way I was wearing it. Yes, the EXP was light and contributed to it, but I decided to size the SD on the tighter side and what a difference it made compared to my other Subs. The watch stays above my wrist bone and settles into the top of my wrist. So much more comfortable than having the watch flopping around.

 

You can see how I used to wear my SubC:

 

 

WARNING: Loosely worn SubC flopping around on wrist! (Click to show)

 

 

Compare that to the above pic of the SD and you can see how  it's settling into my wrist. Much more comfortable. I'm sure the SubC would have been just as comfortable if I wore it tighter as well. Never tried it. Maybe when I get the LV-C....

 

You and I went through a similar evolution.  I liked wearing my watches slightly loose in the beginning, which didn't bother me for lighter pieces like the 114270 and my 5711, but once I got the ones with heavier heads I wanted them to stay put on my wrist.  A real requirement for that heaviest biggest head of all - the DSSD.  If for some reason you can't size the bracelet properly (which would be quite a feat considering you can play around with link + diver's extension combinations PLUS that bad a** adjustable glidelock clasp), that DSSD is just never going to feel comfortable with its head flopping around.

 

Congratulations again on the pick-up!  Hard to ignore the Siren Song of that Beast indeed!

post #45277 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post


Looks great!  Congrats on your SD.  Its a classic.  My dad had one years ago, and it might be one of the few watches he regrets having traded.  Who knows maybe your photos will inspire him to go the vintage route next.   Again, great choice enjoy it !!!:cheers:

post #45278 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Looks great!  Congrats on your SD.  Its a classic.  My dad had one years ago, and it might be one of the few watches he regrets having traded.  Who knows maybe your photos will inspire him to go the vintage route next.   Again, great choice enjoy it !!!cheers.gif
Thanks, Dino. I've been wanting an SD since 2007 when I bought my first Sub, but couldn't swing the SD. I've gone through the whole range of Subs since. I have gotten over my pre-owned watch "phobia" and this allowed me to finally pick up a watch that was discontinued without having to go the NOS safe queen, double the retail price route. I am quite pleased and I plan to enjoy this for the remainder of this year and send it in for service early '16.
post #45279 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
 

Rubber strap has been critical for the sticky weather.  

 

(And how could all the bodybuilding discussion skip over the 2 top winners - Lee Haney and Ronnie Coleman?!?)

 

Nice SMP!

 

I started lifting during Lee Haney's era, so I lived through those years when he dueled with Rich Gaspari (was Rich robbed, or did Lee's superior proportions really carry the day?), etc.  Lee Labrada is still going strong today with his supplement line, still looking jacked.


Love how Ronnie worked full time till he won his first Olympia or two.  Not sure I want him to be arresting me...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Flex Wheeler was robbed on several occasions, just my .02. I digress

 

Agree.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

@no frills please don't lump kettle bells in with cross fit. Also feel free to lend that Patek to me instead of your wife next, I'll be much gentler with it.

 

I was waiting for you to comment on that generalization of mine! :fonz:

post #45280 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post

Thanks, Dino. I've been wanting an SD since 2007 when I bought my first Sub, but couldn't swing the SD. I've gone through the whole range of Subs since. I have gotten over my pre-owned watch "phobia" and this allowed me to finally pick up a watch that was discontinued without having to go the NOS safe queen, double the retail price route. I am quite pleased and I plan to enjoy this for the remainder of this year and send it in for service early '16.

 

Then this SD has been almost a decade in the making!  Congratulations raised to the tenth power!

 

Your SD's modern sister says hello!

 

post #45281 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

 If you ever want Rolex to service the watch, they will make you return it to a stock offering that was available for that model.  That dial was reserved for the all gold Daytonas.  In Europe Rolex, is more lenient about dials and other related issues.  

 

I've taken plenty of watches to Rolex with non original dials, they may note it, but it wouldn't be a problem to service it. 

post #45282 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Then this SD has been almost a decade in the making!  Congratulations raised to the tenth power!

Your SD's modern sister says hello!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Love the ceramic version....and you never know....may be on the list, now.
post #45283 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebauche View Post
 

I've taken plenty of watches to Rolex with non original dials, they may note it, but it wouldn't be a problem to service it. 

Good to know.  I guess their policy is different on a Rolex with a non-original  but factory made Rolex dial, vs. a non-Rolex made dial which at least in the US, they have long had a policy of telling the owner they can convert the watch back to using all original Rolex parts (at the owner's cost), or they will refuse to service the watch.   

 

Anyway, wishing you luck with whatever you decide on the tutone Daytona. 

post #45284 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post
 

 

Then this SD has been almost a decade in the making!  Congratulations raised to the tenth power!

 

Your SD's modern sister says hello!

 

 

Waitaminute - is part of that bezel blue? Don't shoot me, but have I missed some development here? :bounce2:

post #45285 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

Waitaminute - is part of that bezel blue? Don't shoot me, but have I missed some development here? bounce2.gif
Yes. If you go that far past your dive time that is the color you turn. Subtle reminder from Rolex.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)