Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 8:44 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/17/17 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 10:41 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 3006post #45076 of 483127/12/15 at 5:37ampost #45077 of 483127/12/15 at 5:48ampost #45078 of 483127/12/15 at 5:54am
The thing is, this one checks so many boxes for me.
Its a Patek, which for me evokes a certain amount of emotion.
Great attention to detail, because it is a Patek after all.
It's sporty but elegant.
The dial is cool looking. Black but with that little bit of extra texture and detail.
Its just the right size and it's surprising how light it wears. It's extremely comfortable.
The bracelet isn't steel, but I don't like leather bands and besides the rubber band has that extra bit of detail to match the dial.
Not a bad look from the back of the case either, sort of a bit of a bonus if you ask me.post #45079 of 483127/12/15 at 5:56ampost #45080 of 483127/12/15 at 8:42ampost #45081 of 483127/12/15 at 8:49ampost #45082 of 483127/12/15 at 9:12ampost #45083 of 483127/12/15 at 9:24ampost #45084 of 483127/12/15 at 10:04ampost #45085 of 483127/12/15 at 10:29amI very much like the new 39mm Rolex OP that was released at Baselworld this year. I think the grey face one might be in my future. I was just in London and Switzerland, probably should have looked around to see if anyone had any in. Ah well, maybe Rome tomorrow will have something for mepost #45086 of 483127/12/15 at 10:45am
So this is 38mm on a 6.5mm wrist (I think that's my wrist size can't remember - I have a thin wrist) and not sure about it.
I was hoping for a more dressier (that color strap) watch to wear with like a suit or just a shirt and tie.
I already have a casual watch that I love, so I'm not looking for another casual watch (though I have worn it with a suit and it was fine!).
Is this face too big for my wrist?
-Also it costs $170 which is definitely on the more side for me! I am a teacher, and I don't make that much :P impulse buy...
---> I know there's a lot of watches here in the thousands, and it's definitely nice to look at all of them!
(And the advice last time deifnitely was super helpful! :))post #45087 of 483127/12/15 at 11:17ampost #45088 of 483127/12/15 at 1:00pmpost #45089 of 483127/12/15 at 3:19pmQuote:Quote:
There's quite a difference in price though, especially if used is an option: The 42mm (current) Overseas is $5k cheaper used than the current 41mm RO equivalent. Going back to the 39mm ROC, that's about the same price as the current Overseas, but then the older 40mm Overseas is maybe $4k cheaper again, so they're not quite like for like.
I really like both of them, and although I know Lord Dino isn't a fan of the cross motif in the bezel and bracelet on the Overseas, in a way I like it because for a non watch nerd, it's far less recognisable than the RO. No fault of AP perhaps that they're so associated now with Jay Z and Queen Be etc, but that 41mm RO, let alone the Offshores, shouts its name loud in any room. And I say no fault, but with all their celebrity limited editions, AP have rather pushed their brand in that direction.
The VC, not so much. And I like the big date too, even though I'm not a fan of a simple date. This one makes me think of my favourite Germans, maybe that's why I like it. But I also feel the Overseas is surprisingly comfortable and smooth on the wrist, even under a shirt cuff. The RO with all those awesome crisp edges, feels a little meaner.
Anyway, each to his own, I'd happily have either or both. But one quandary, all other things being equal: the king of the current ROs for me, with or without the chrono, is the silver dial version. The way it catches the light is just magnificent. I like the Darth Vader monstrousness of the black dial chrono too. But which VC overseas? The white and black dials have a similar "clou de Paris" styling, which gives great interest and personality to the dial. The white one is especially striking I think (nice choice, Wurgs!). But are they too similar to the RO in choosing that particular decorative style? In which case, is the plainer blue Overseas the one to love? I note they're harder to find/more expensive in the used watch world, or so it feels. Maybe that's why? And a lot of things are sweeter in blue. The Jumbo for one, but that's another story...Quote:
Haha. I noticed a congratulatory ad from AP to Serena in pretty short order too, complete with gold/diamond RO to illustrate.
Love your rubber treatment by the way. And if Mrs Hedonic doesn't like it, you always have the GMT left as nature intended.post #45090 of 483127/12/15 at 5:59pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 13 seconds ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 3 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 7 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 9 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 12 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...