Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:32 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2949post #44221 of 483126/10/15 at 12:43pmpost #44222 of 483126/10/15 at 12:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by RogerP
My go-to dress watch.
Now the deets on those cufflinks!Quote:Originally Posted by Cleav
I went this way today
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
What is that covering your jacket sleeve @Cleav?
Also, no greeting for Princess Kate's birthday today?post #44223 of 483126/10/15 at 12:45pmpost #44224 of 483126/10/15 at 12:48pmpost #44225 of 483126/10/15 at 12:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by no frills
Now the deets on those cufflinks!
What is that covering your jacket sleeve @Cleav
Also, no greeting for Princess Kate's birthday today?
Do you mean my cravat dear heart?
In Norfolk right now actually, Prinny send her regardspost #44226 of 483126/10/15 at 12:59pm
Sure thing - silver, gold and lapis. I've had them for over 20 years and don't recall the maker.
Cheers. The watch is older than I am and in far better shape. Which is great for the watch, less great for me.post #44227 of 483126/10/15 at 1:02pmQuote:
Hahah! From the angle of the pic it looked like it could have been a shawl covering your entire arm/shoulder!
23 years young, our Princess.Quote:
Looks great!post #44228 of 483126/10/15 at 1:13pmpost #44229 of 483126/10/15 at 1:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by 518aata
I just had the pleasure of going through the same process. Having admired the various ROs on this thread (OK, maybe drooled would be more accurate), I decided that it's time to upgrade from my Cartier Tank Francaise auto to a RO. I'd like to trade it in to lessen the blow, but my wife has laid claim on it. On the other hand, she said that she'd like to get me a watch for our 20th anniversary, so how can I complain?
I have a 6.25" wrist, and therefore can't wear a large watch. So which one to get (or at least, to pine for)? Let's go try some on! Luckily, I was in New York and Philadelphia last week, so there were plenty of opportunities. Naturally, my first stop was at the AP boutique on 57th St. There, I tried on the 15450 (37 mm). As others have pointed out, Royal Oaks wear larger than their measured size. What's more, because the first few links don't really bend, it magnifies the situation. So, it seemed like the small (unisex) size would be a good choice for me, because it's closest to the size of most of my watches.
On to Tourneau, across the street, to try on some used watches. They had a used 15450 and a 15300 (39 mm) (used, of course, as it is no longer in production). Things were getting more complicated. Small or medium size? Blue, black or white face? I really couldn't decide.
Next (and final) stop. Govberg in Philadelphia. What a great store! Great Patek collection, and a lovely display of FP Journe watches, among many, many others. There, I tried on a 15450, a 15300, and, for the heck of it, a 15400 (41 mm). (None of the three stores had a Jumbo in stock.) Despite my wife's preference for the blue, I'm entranced by the white face. It's just magical. OK. Color selected, but what size? I think I've concluded that, even though the 15450 probably fits me best, this is a sport watch, and not a dress watch, so perhaps it needs to be a bit bigger, and a bit less subtle, to have a bit more "presence". Does that make sense? So, at this point, I'm leaning towards the 15300. (The 15400 is way too big for me.)
Those of you who have tried on (or, of course, purchased) these models, I'd welcome your thoughts.
Next up: Deciding whether to buy a Royal Oak, or to pay next semester's tuition!
I've never tried the mid size 15450, so I can't really speak about my thoughts on that model. While RO's do wear a bit larger than their stated size, I really like the RO in its 39mm size at least for my wrist. My wrist is close in size to yours and I've very happy with my 39mm RO. I went for the 15202, which is a bit flatter, so it wears a bit differently than the 15300 (which has a thicker case and thicker bracelet links). I've had mine for nearly 3 years and I love it.
I tried on the 15400 and its really nice but it was not for me. Something about its proportions bothered me, not specifically the fit, just it did not look right to my eye. I actually don't mind the RO chronograph at the 41mm size, but the 15400 wasn't for me. The 15300 had one small detail that annoyed me....the sweep second hand. I just did not like its shape...so I eliminated the problem completely and went with the 15202...no second hand. For some the lack of a quick set date would be an annoyance on the 15202 (although there is a trick you can keep winding back and forth between 10pm and 2 am to advance the date), and if you are someone that might be really rough on a watch, you might want the thicker case and bracelet (but for me the 15202 has been great as a nearly daily wearer for about 3 years). I also loved the dial of the 15202.
You should note, if you want a blue dial AP used a slightly different shade of blue on the 15202, 15300, and 15400. Also there was a slight color change the 15202's blue about a year ago or so (it got darker). From what I hear the 15202s are largely being sold through AP boutiques and ADs have trouble getting them (although it doesn't mean a boutique will have it in stock).
In the end you can't go wrong with any of the models. The fit and finish on the RO is exceptional. Each model is a winner. Good luck with your RO research!
Love your tie...ooops ...I mean cravat! I'm a big fan of woven ties.post #44230 of 483126/10/15 at 1:54pmQuote:
Today, the boring steel version of the rose gold thing I posted yesterday.
Didn't need to wear a cravat today. Good thing too because it's getting warm in NYC!post #44231 of 483126/10/15 at 2:28pmpost #44232 of 483126/10/15 at 2:49pmSo, I'm not a big fan of gold watches (unless it's WG). All of my watches are white metals. In certain circumstances, on certain watches, I don't mind rose/red gold. But I really don't like yellow gold.
Here's the question: If a particular, no-longer-made watch from a major brand (say, IWC) was only available in yellow gold, would anyone consider having it plated in rose gold? I note that the watch was available in a slightly different dial in a limited run in rose gold. But not this one.
I'm just not a yellow gold kind of guy but I love the watch. Have it plated with rose gold?
I'm guessing such a drastic modification would pretty much destroy value, no?
Any thoughts/opinions?post #44233 of 483126/10/15 at 3:46pmpost #44234 of 483126/10/15 at 3:47pmThread Starterpost #44235 of 483126/10/15 at 4:28pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 28 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Warmth meets comfort : The official Cozy Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Khaki's of Carmel - Official Affiliate Thread - Carmel-by-the-Sea,... 4 minutes ago
- › FS: Ralph Lauren Black Label Anthony 2 Button Brown Knit Wool... 4 minutes ago
- › What are you reading? 4 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › FS: New Ralph Lauren Black Label Anthony 2 Button Navy Cashmere... 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...