or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2927  

post #43891 of 48312

Any feedback on Corum watches? I am considering one. It looks like a lot of watch for the money.

 

L10030274.jpg 10.0062_3.jpg

post #43892 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmenco View Post
 

Any feedback on Corum watches? I am considering one. It looks like a lot of watch for the money.

 

A lot of watch for the money...maybe if you are talking purely about size...just kidding couldn't resist.  I tend to think their main contribution to the watch world was the Golden Bridge that they came out with a few decades ago.  They still offer it but at its price their are other finer watches I would choose.  They are also famous for their "Coin watch" and their Admiral's Cup watches...the latter of which have sadly have grown into some silly looking editions.  I think they crossed a bit into the overpriced fashion watch area with their Bubble watches.  They do make a handful of decent looking watches, but its a brand that is all over the place and really has little focus on where they are going.  Their watches seem heavily discounted so if you want one search for a good deal, but I think their are better options out there.

 

The watch in the photo, looks like everything is toward the center of the watch, making me think the movement is probably from an older design that was smaller and intended for a smaller case.  I'm not a fan of that aesthetic, although that doesn't matter to everyone, and at least the back is solid and not showing how small it is.  Do some research and then decide if its right for you.  Good luck with your journey.

post #43893 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post


I'd love to get my hands on this rare bird, though.

wow…nice.
post #43894 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post


Epic toasted cheese sandwich at Borough Market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

Kappacasein nod[1].gif

@BostonHedonist: You're welcome.
post #43895 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherblue View Post



@BostonHedonist: You're welcome.


Solid recommendation Gopher! Their cheese toaster cast quite the heady trail for my nose to follow. Upon viewing the wares, there was no going back.

post #43896 of 48312
Raclette!

Love it
post #43897 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmenco View Post
 

Any feedback on Corum watches? I am considering one. It looks like a lot of watch for the money.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

A lot of watch for the money...maybe if you are talking purely about size...just kidding couldn't resist.  I tend to think their main contribution to the watch world was the Golden Bridge that they came out with a few decades ago.  They still offer it but at its price their are other finer watches I would choose.  They are also famous for their "Coin watch" and their Admiral's Cup watches...the latter of which have sadly have grown into some silly looking editions.  I think they crossed a bit into the overpriced fashion watch area with their Bubble watches.  They do make a handful of decent looking watches, but its a brand that is all over the place and really has little focus on where they are going.  Their watches seem heavily discounted so if you want one search for a good deal, but I think their are better options out there.

 

The watch in the photo, looks like everything is toward the center of the watch, making me think the movement is probably from an older design that was smaller and intended for a smaller case.  I'm not a fan of that aesthetic, although that doesn't matter to everyone, and at least the back is solid and not showing how small it is.  Do some research and then decide if its right for you.  Good luck with your journey.

 

Thanks for the info, when it comes to watches I have a lot to learn (or maybe not $$$$$$) I'm going to pass on it.

post #43898 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

So then I stumbled across the next evolution of the Constellation

 


and deep inside, the seed of desire sprouted.

 

 

 

However, doesn't Rolex typically have the best claim to the Fluted Throne?

 

Omega Constellation Watch c Shape

Rolex has been using them so I guess they'd have a 'better' claim yes.  But Omega used a fluted bezel on c-shaped connies during the 60's.

post #43899 of 48312
Well as long as there's precedent. I mean, you can't just stick a movement of METAS certification in any old stainless case...
post #43900 of 48312
I posted this in TRF but perhaps my TWAT friends can help too...

Question for you JLC experts.

I tried on a few Reversos today at an AD.

I really liked one but the sales associate wasn't that knowledgeable and I'm confused on the model.

It was the smaller model of the two (are there only two sizes?)

It was white face, numbers instead of sticks, blue hands and black non-deployment strap in stainless steel.

It had a solid case back and the Canadian msrp was I believe 8300.

I think it was an ultra thin model but I'm not certain.

Any ideas? Thank you!
post #43901 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

I posted this in TRF but perhaps my TWAT friends can help too...

Question for you JLC experts.

I tried on a few Reversos today at an AD.

I really liked one but the sales associate wasn't that knowledgeable and I'm confused on the model.

It was the smaller model of the two (are there only two sizes?)

It was white face, numbers instead of sticks, blue hands and black non-deployment strap in stainless steel.

It had a solid case back and the Canadian msrp was I believe 8300.

I think it was an ultra thin model but I'm not certain.

Any ideas? Thank you!

There are 2 basic sizes of cases, XGT and the small GT (although in the past there was a "Classic" size that was smaller, and some ultra complicated pieces might be larger or thicker).  The ultra thins use the smaller GT case.  Its possible you tried on reference 2788520 which is a steel case, white dial, Arabic numerals and no subdial for seconds.  The utlrathins also have a solid case back.  So that is my best guess as to what you tried.  

post #43902 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

There are 2 basic sizes of cases, XGT and the small GT (although in the past there was a "Classic" size that was smaller, and some ultra complicated pieces might be larger or thicker).  The ultra thins use the smaller GT case.  Its possible you tried on reference 2788520 which is a steel case, white dial, Arabic numerals and no subdial for seconds.  The utlrathins also have a solid case back.  So that is my best guess as to what you tried.  

God Damn Dino you nailed it! Super helpful info too regarding JLC sizing. Tomorrow I'm going to try on the Pam 337. Very different watches I know but I'm looking for a learher strap dressier watch in that price range.
post #43903 of 48312
Hopefully this isn't too much outside the scope of this thread, but can anyone recommend somewhere for vintage watch repair in London?

I have an old ladies watch I'd like to get cleaned and serviced to give to my wife.

It runs, but it's been in storage for at least 30 years and maybe longer.
Used to belong to my farther's aunt, and most likely dates from the 20's or 30's.
The brand is "Maritime", but I can't find anything about it online. No idea if it's valuable or worth spending a huge amount on it.

post #43904 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post


God Damn Dino you nailed it! Super helpful info too regarding JLC sizing. Tomorrow I'm going to try on the Pam 337. Very different watches I know but I'm looking for a learher strap dressier watch in that price range.

Glad I could be of help.  Not sure I'd consider a PAM 337 dressy, but for a Panerai I suppose it is.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post

Hopefully this isn't too much outside the scope of this thread, but can anyone recommend somewhere for vintage watch repair in London?

I have an old ladies watch I'd like to get cleaned and serviced to give to my wife.

It runs, but it's been in storage for at least 30 years and maybe longer.
Used to belong to my farther's aunt, and most likely dates from the 20's or 30's.
The brand is "Maritime", but I can't find anything about it online. No idea if it's valuable or worth spending a huge amount on it.

Don't know any repair shops in London, but generally watches from unknown brands that you can't find anything about on the net, are not worth very much.  It doesn't mean you should not get is serviced (particularly if it has sentimental value), but you may want to be cautious how much you spend servicing if the cost of servicing is an issue for you.

post #43905 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

I posted this in TRF but perhaps my TWAT friends can help too...

Question for you JLC experts.

I tried on a few Reversos today at an AD.

I really liked one but the sales associate wasn't that knowledgeable and I'm confused on the model.

It was the smaller model of the two (are there only two sizes?)

It was white face, numbers instead of sticks, blue hands and black non-deployment strap in stainless steel.

It had a solid case back and the Canadian msrp was I believe 8300.

I think it was an ultra thin model but I'm not certain.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Sounds like you tried on a Reverso 1931
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)