or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2919  

post #43771 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

^ Indeed, Frilly. I always preferred the 36mm version, but now I'm not so sure.

By sheer coincidence I switched out a couple of hours ago. Here's a shot before you get too seduced by the 39mm... 😄

8a1482d56416a496831d6aee65dbc862.jpg
post #43772 of 48312
^ Of course, there's still the 36mm... icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #43773 of 48312
Lolz. It's like shooting unself-aware fish in a barrel.
post #43774 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Those are great deals. Are they generally available for newer models like the DSOTM?




Beach time earlier today:

b9490a696cbca7c863af7d8e38a80a37.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

I didn't think people were getting much discount if anyone the DSOTM. I really like the Grey Side.


Discounts are there for them, but like A few percent, most I have ever seen was 6% on a DSOM.
post #43775 of 48312
Haha, both wonderful pieces. I absolutely love the simplicity and clean lines of the Explorer l.
post #43776 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Haha, both wonderful pieces. I absolutely love the simplicity and clean lines of the Explorer l.

Thanks tricky. But back to your earlier post: why were you thinking of letting a piece go? To make room for another one?
post #43777 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Thanks tricky. But back to your earlier post: why were you thinking of letting a piece go? To make room for another one?

Oh no, I must have written it unclear. These two Rolex are staying forever. My daughter will get the Explorer and my son the SubC. I'll probably sell the Stowa just because it is rarely worn and if I acquire a Reverso or one of the others on a leather strap it will never be worn.

I don't know about the next piece but those ones I listed are currently top of my list...which of course changes all the time. I would love an AP Royal Oak but that might be pushing it.
post #43778 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Thanks tricky. But back to your earlier post: why were you thinking of letting a piece go? To make room for another one?

Oh no, I must have written it unclear. These two Rolex are staying forever. My daughter will get the Explorer and my son the SubC. I'll probably sell the Stowa just because it is rarely worn and if I acquire a Reverso or one of the others on a leather strap it will never be worn.

I don't know about the next piece but those ones I listed are currently top of my list...which of course changes all the time. I would love an AP Royal Oak but that might be pushing it.

Ah, got it. That's cool re: thinking about your children. I tend to buy "in twos" for the same reason (two daughters).

And yeah, if something isn't occupying wrist real estate much, then it might be time to let it go to someone else who will appreciate it. 💪🏻
post #43779 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamcma View Post


I change the strap every now and again based on my mood.

500


I realize this is an old post but I really like this watch. I'm currently looking to buy my first Omega and was hoping someone could tell me what model this is. I haven't come across any with the chrono dials of that color.  Thanks!!

post #43780 of 48312


^ I don't know the specific model, but if it helps with your search, I can say that it's a Speedmaster "Reduced", rather than a Speedmaster Professional. By that, I mean that it's a bit smaller than the Speedmaster Professional (hence the "reduced" name - I think that the case is about 4mm smaller in diameter) and has an automatic, rather than the traditional manual-wind, movement.

 

I don't think that Omega makes the Reduced any more - at least not as a men's model - although I could be wrong on that score. The Speedmaster Reduced had the model designation 3510.50.00, as opposed to the Professional's model designation of 3570.50.00, so that might help when you're doing a search.

post #43781 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post


Beautiful selection. I'm actually warming to the 39mm Explorer after (finally) seeing it in person. Hmm...

Tough choice.  I think size each can work easily depending on what the purchaser is used to and comfortable wearing.  I give a slight edge to the 36, merely because I prefer its dial and its numerals.  Wishing you luck with whichever makes you smile if you are pondering Explorer ownership. 

post #43782 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post


@Dino944 I understand your point re: preferring the cleaner, 2-hand, manually-wound version of the Toledo compared to the current 3-hand automatic. I think I would prefer a cleaner-dialled version, too. I suppose, having had one of these on the wrist, that I didn't have the strong negative reaction to the dial that you did. Sure, I don't like the three-hand date version as much, nor do I like the more complicated versions of this watch either. However, neither did I dislike the version I posted; in fact, quite the opposite - I liked the dial detailing. The positioning of the 12 & 6 helped "stretch" the watch in the vertical plane, so that there's an illusion of length/extension, in-line with the strap.As a consequence, the watch doesn't come across looking as "boxy" as it otherwise might when one looks at the dial, or if the numbers were aligned in the horizontal plane. I also like the detailing around the hands of the watch (I can't remember the technical term? Is the graining made by machine-turning or a guilloche technique? I'm not an expert).It adds visual interest without being over-done, and catches the light under different conditions. Use of an auto movement and centre-seconds makes this watch more of a daily-wearer to me, rather than a formal dress watch. The simpler, original two-hander strikes me more as a formal dress watch, rather than a daily-wearer. So made for a different purpose, even the differences are only small and subtle. Would I prefer the original two-hand watch? Probably, but that doesn't mean I would kick this watch out of bed, either. YMMV.

PS Is this the original 2-hander you mentioned?

Yes, that is the Toledo that I was speaking of in my post.  IMHO, that was the best looking Toledo they have produced to date....YMMV.  Perhaps if I had never tried that one on years ago, I would like the current model significantly more than I do.  Yes, with the current model being an automatic, it may give the watch greater appeal as a daily wearer for those that do not want to have to wind a watch on a daily basis.  I do like the current time only model far more than the calendar version, and more than the previous version with a date window cut into the 6 position.  

 

As mentioned before, I absolutely love the case...but on the current model the dial is a bit of a miss for me, and I am not a fan of centrally mounted seconds hands on square watches.  I have tried the current Toledo and I don't really agree that the 12 and 6 extend it's vertical appearance or that they do anything to improve the look of the watch...for me they simply appear too heavy handed and bland.  However, that may be a point on which you and I will have to simply agree to disagree.   If someone gave me a current Toledo, I wouldn't kick it out of bed, I just prefer the earlier version more.  If this piece makes you smile go for it!  I suppose depending on if one does or does not love the 2 hand look, one could always contact their special order department and see what it would cost to get one without the seconds hand ( don't know anyone that has used the custom department yet, but they are willing to do anything from a different dial color of current models to a complete one off...the only limits being one's imagination and bank account ;)   .  Again good luck with whatever you decide.  :cheers:

post #43783 of 48312

http://www.styleforum.net/t/36253/the-watch-appreciation-thread/43710#post_7892157

 

I was hoping to get some help identifying this Hamilton to some degree. 

post #43784 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


^ I don't know the specific model, but if it helps with your search, I can say that it's a Speedmaster "Reduced", rather than a Speedmaster Professional. By that, I mean that it's a bit smaller than the Speedmaster Professional (hence the "reduced" name - I think that the case is about 4mm smaller in diameter) and has an automatic, rather than the traditional manual-wind, movement.

I don't think that Omega makes the Reduced any more - at least not as a men's model - although I could be wrong on that score. The Speedmaster Reduced had the model designation 3510.50.00, as opposed to the Professional's model designation of 3570.50.00, so that might help when you're doing a search.

Pro version of blue panda dial also seems to exist: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/speedmaster-apollo-11-35th-anniversary-vs-gemini-4-a-565697.html
post #43785 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Tough choice.  I think size each can work easily depending on what the purchaser is used to and comfortable wearing.  I give a slight edge to the 36, merely because I prefer its dial and its numerals.  Wishing you luck with whichever makes you smile if you are pondering Explorer ownership. 

Yes, I preferred the size and dial numerals on the 36mm for a long time, and photos of both just re-emphasised that for me. However, in the flesh, the 39mm looks much better than in photos. Oh well, food for thought, I suppose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)