Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 9:37 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/17/17 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 2:53 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2886post #43276 of 483125/1/15 at 10:28ampost #43277 of 483125/1/15 at 10:37am
Yeah I think that's why it's considered most elegant not to wear one: the correct time to leave being when one's lady wishes to do so.
And the absolute incorrect form being to check one's watch frequently, while muttering "how long are ballets supposed to be anyway?"post #43278 of 483125/1/15 at 11:44amQuote:
From experience?post #43279 of 483125/1/15 at 11:48am"John Mayer's Wrist Is a Wonderland", from yesterday's NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/fashion/mens-style/john-mayer-watches.html?ref=mens-stylepost #43280 of 483125/1/15 at 11:51am
Actually, no. It's been a while since I took a lady to the ballet, but it was she who fell asleep.
Also, I fancy this simple item for a technically-incorrect-black-tie-watch:
Yes, with second hand, day counter and all.
Five watches is the new four.post #43281 of 483125/1/15 at 11:57ampost #43282 of 483125/1/15 at 12:12pm
I wish this idea would die already. Couple years ago I tried to research it and the best I could tell there was one tongue-in-cheek article done 60+ years ago that everybody picks up on and espouses as the rule.
Tons of vintage pictures from the 'golden age' of formal wear have the men sporting proper dress watches.
Quote:post #43283 of 483125/1/15 at 12:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by 518aata
"John Mayer's Wrist Is a Wonderland", from yesterday's NY Times:
Made it about a quarter of the way down the page until I was suffocated by the douchebaggery. The guy who bought many? dozens? of fake/Frankenstein Rolexes and others is a "watch nerd icon"? He should just stick his head back in the cardboard box.post #43284 of 483125/1/15 at 12:15pm
Not trying to change your opinion on him but the watch wasn't fake in the sense you're probably thinking. The Rolex he bought had unauthorized or fake parts used during service and therefore Rolex wouldn't touch the thing themselves.
Quote:post #43285 of 483125/1/15 at 12:16pmpost #43286 of 483125/1/15 at 12:22pmpost #43287 of 483125/1/15 at 12:25pmpost #43288 of 483125/1/15 at 12:25pm@tigerpac No I didn't mean Canal St. "fake"… that's why I put Frankenstein. Either way I'd expect a guy who is so obsessed with the hobby and can certainly afford to be fully informed… to be fully informed.post #43289 of 483125/1/15 at 12:27pmpost #43290 of 483125/1/15 at 12:31pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › suede shoes - post 'em here! 35 seconds ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 6 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 6 minutes ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 7 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 10 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 11 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 16 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 19 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...