Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 9:16 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2876post #43126 of 483124/25/15 at 9:55pmpost #43127 of 483124/25/15 at 11:06pmpost #43128 of 483124/25/15 at 11:40pmpost #43129 of 483124/26/15 at 2:09am
Been in Europe for the past two weeks for work/vacation and am coming home today with a little something extra.
Went in with my 114060, really love the watch, though it was one of those times where I would have appreciated a "day counter". Being off my normal routine, made me less aware of the date than normal and a couple times I went to my wrist for the answer only to be unrewarded and "forced" to get my phone out of my pocket...I know, tough life.
Yesterday, on my last full day, my wife and I were walking to a specific sandwich shop in Copenhagen and I took a bad route. The route happened to walk us by a watch shop that had some preowned watches in the window. One in particular caught my eye and we had to stop in. Among some Rolexes and Omegas was a Breitling 2031 Datora "Surfboard". I've been looking for a decent deal on one in good condition and boy did I hit the jackpot. Based on my research it appears to be fully legit other than maybe possibly the bezel. The bezel is definitely a Breitling one, but most of the 2031's seem to have a a bicoloured black/silver bezel. While I have seen pics of a few with the solid black, I'm not sure if the all black is original to this particular watch. Regardless, its at the least period correct to Breitling and we agreed upon a price that was good enough. That along with the rise of the dollar, I have a pretty good deal on my wrist and some extra funkiness that I've been looking for.
The acrylic crystal has a few minor scratches that are hard to see normally, the bezel is mostly in good condition and the case back is scratched up a bit, but the case, dial and hands are in pretty good shape. The watch has been recently serviced and seems to be keeping accurate time so far and the chronograph is working great as well. Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase...now to figure out a cool strap for it. Love the orange hands with the silve and blue dial and love the dual bezel for use as a second timezone indicator (as seen in the pics, the bezel is set for Chicago time). I know it's not everybody's taste and probably won't be displacing the the Rolex as my main watch, but I bet it gets a decent amount of wrist time.post #43130 of 483124/26/15 at 4:01ampost #43131 of 483124/26/15 at 4:08ampost #43132 of 483124/26/15 at 4:38amQuote:Originally Posted by Kaplan
^ That's pretty funky. Was the shop Franz Jaeger & Me or another one? Which sandwich shop were you looking for?
Yes, it was Franz Jeager. On a suggestion of my Danish colleague we were heading to Ida Davidsen, but failed to realize it isn't open on Saturdays. If I had realized that before hand, then we wouldn't have happened by the shop. Also, I didn't realize at the time, but we wondered in just before closing time. Really seems like fate to find the watch.
I have no idea what the reputation of the shop is, but I liked the salesman and was treated warmly, so it's okay in my book.
I travel to copenhagen for work 2-3 times a year, but this was the first real time I'd spent in the city exploring a bit. Wish I would have taken the time to do it on one of my previous trips.post #43133 of 483124/26/15 at 4:50amQuote:You probably talked to the owner, as I think he's pretty much the only one there. He sold my Panerai for me when it was time to let it go.post #43134 of 483124/26/15 at 4:55amYeah, Franz J is pretty much a one mand band, really nice guy.
Karin Falcks Køkken on Jagtvej has the best sandwich I've had in Copenhagen.
You should probably be happy it was closed.
http://politiken.dk/ibyen/vis/2481/restaurant-ida-davidsenpost #43135 of 483124/26/15 at 5:01ampost #43136 of 483124/26/15 at 5:25ampost #43137 of 483124/26/15 at 5:54ampost #43138 of 483124/26/15 at 5:59ampost #43139 of 483124/26/15 at 8:07amfrilly: looks like an awesome event for the kiddos. That must have been a blast. Did you sprinkle some whey protein on your cupcake? LOL.
pmeis: Congrats! What a fun vintage treasure.
I'd recommend a padded Breitling-style calfskin strap with white stitching. Basically, what you have now, sans the croc-pattern.
Nice pickup!post #43140 of 483124/26/15 at 7:01pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 8 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 10 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › Raw Ingredient and Mise en Place porn thread. 14 minutes ago
- › Red Wing for J Crew Backman Boots 17 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 18 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 22 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 25 minutes ago
- › Styleforum's "Just what Santa should have brought" Viberg GMTO... 26 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway