or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2870  

post #43036 of 48312
The dial on that Patek is beautiful but gives me another reason to hate day counters.
post #43037 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post

Thank everybody for their very nice comments. Here's the requested shot plus a bonus. Dachshund, we share the same taste in sport watches, no?

photo IMG_2028_zpssiiggcdt.jpg

Nice combo. We're close - mine's the big hand Ex2. fistbump.gif
post #43038 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
 

So was at an event for the Madison Ave Watch Week in NYC and went by the Montblanc boutique.

 

They've got some very solid very affordable entry-level stuff now.  I couldn't help but think they would be good recommendations to friends just getting into watches.

 

Just food for thought. 

Always fun to attend watch events.  I could recommend Montblanc for pens, but that's about it.  The main thing they excel at is putting small watch movements in large cases and making it rather obvious.   Even in the lower price point ranges, I'd probably look toward other brands to recommend.  Just my 2 cents.   

post #43039 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Ha! BH must break out in hives whenever frilly posts some of his action shots!


Thanks for posting, brax.

Very. Nice. Pair.

Hahah!

Congrats on the new Patek @brax! Patek executes hunter's cases very well. Is that the cal 324 powering your new baby?
post #43040 of 48312

Very nice brax! :)

 

Okey gents, i found this Explorer II at mywatch.dk full set. Only problem is the hard beating to it, how do you restore these deep dings?

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #43041 of 48312
Jesus - someone's been hammering nails in with that.
post #43042 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

 The main thing they excel at is putting small watch movements in large cases and making it rather obvious.   Even in the lower price point ranges, I'd probably look toward other brands to recommend.  Just my 2 cents.   

 

Interesting take.  They surely are guilty of casing movement way too small for the case, which also bothers me.  So that does cut out a lot of their line.

 

That said, the simple 3-handers don't have the cramped subdials and for 2-4k range look pretty solid.  Other than Nomos I can't think of other companies in that range that can actually make their own stuff.  

 

Don't own one and likely won't but was surprised by their wide range.

post #43043 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
 

Very nice brax! :)

 

Okey gents, i found this Explorer II at mywatch.dk full set. Only problem is the hard beating to it, how do you restore these deep dings?

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

Only way to fix that would be to remove material until the deepest ding is out. I wouldn't recommend that. Either live with them or skip that piece.

post #43044 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post

Very nice brax! smile.gif

Okey gents, i found this Explorer II at mywatch.dk full set. Only problem is the hard beating to it, how do you restore these deep dings?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

If the price is good, I'd wear it as is. Sure, you didn't put the dings and scratches in it yourself, but they definitely add to the patina.
post #43045 of 48312

Whats the market price for this piece from 2003, full set, with a lot of dings. 

 

Without bracelet and papers/box it was up to 3K.

 

Whats a good deal for me, I want to trade in my IWC 3777 full set 97% condition. 

post #43046 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Always fun to attend watch events.  I could recommend Montblanc for pens, but that's about it.  The main thing they excel at is putting small watch movements in large cases and making it rather obvious.   Even in the lower price point ranges, I'd probably look toward other brands to recommend.  Just my 2 cents.   

While I broadly agree, I do appreciate their willingness to upend the somewhat ridiculous pricing structure of their Swiss brethren. A perp calendar for $12K (with an in-house movement) is to be applauded.

Their Villeret pieces, especially the Pulsograph and the enamel Chrono, are very very very nice icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #43047 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Hahah!

Congrats on the new Patek @brax! Patek executes hunter's cases very well. Is that the cal 324 powering your new baby?

Indeed.
post #43048 of 48312
Sweden, have you tried chrono24, or the sales corner at TZ? Or maybe WUS? Rolex Forums?

I'm all for some nice patina, but I would think you can locate another example that hasn't been loved so hard.
post #43049 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
 

Very nice brax! :)

 

Okey gents, i found this Explorer II at mywatch.dk full set. Only problem is the hard beating to it, how do you restore these deep dings?

 

The  bezel can be replaced ...the rest your sort of screwed.  I wouldn't purchase that one.  Mine is from 2001, has never been polished and looks so much better than that.  Keep searching. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
 

 

Interesting take.  They surely are guilty of casing movement way too small for the case, which also bothers me.  So that does cut out a lot of their line.

 

That said, the simple 3-handers don't have the cramped subdials and for 2-4k range look pretty solid.  Other than Nomos I can't think of other companies in that range that can actually make their own stuff.  

 

Don't own one and likely won't but was surprised by their wide range.

Sorry, the three hander you displayed a photo of looked to me like the date was set inward as a result of a small movement.  While Nomos don't really do anything for me, I'd gladly choose one over a Montblanc.  Beyond that, I am not someone who is so focused on having to have an in house movement that I would allow that to narrow my choices, nor would I allow it to excuse Montblancs offerings which I find less than appealing.  Again just my 2 cents. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric View Post

While I broadly agree, I do appreciate their willingness to upend the somewhat ridiculous pricing structure of their Swiss brethren. A perp calendar for $12K (with an in-house movement) is to be applauded.
Their Villeret pieces, especially the Pulsograph and the enamel Chrono, are very very very nice icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Yes, a perpetual calendar with an inhouse movement that is far too small for its watch case...really, so I can have this compromise for $12,000, all while knowing it will have all of the resale value of a half eaten stack of pancakes!  What a bargain.;)    

 

Sorry, I just wouldn't want one.  If I can't afford a perpetual calendar from a manufacturer that I want one from, then I can't and I'll gladly admire them from a far.   I'm not one who is satisfied by cheaper compromises.  

post #43050 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by brax View Post

Sorry for the delay gentlemen. I expected to post the final pictures this morning but was called away on other pressing matters. Without further wait:

photo IMG_2008_zpsqcwlsuon.jpg

photo IMG_2010_zpsyckdvhcb.jpg

photo IMG_2012_zpsgyatbpdw.jpg

photo IMG_2015_zpswh6ftrbs.jpg

As BostonHerald surmised, I am very much a traditionalist in this sense and this is my favorite dress watch. Patek 5153 in white gold with a white dial. This particular model (in this configuration) was introduced last year.

Beautiful PP Brax , congratulations and wear in good health.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)