or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2840  

post #42586 of 48312
Just in...technically the third time in buying a SubC LV from my AD. This one's staying for good!

post #42587 of 48312
Oh fantasy

post #42588 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Thanks for the suggestions.  We did not know about Vers.  I will have to give it a try maybe this spring or summer...especially since I love dessert!  When we were last in Chatham the only other place we tried was Stars.  The food was good, but the desserts...well they sucked.  We got married on the Cape also, in Falmouth at the Coonamessett Inn.  My dad's side of the family has lived in W. Falmouth since the 1960s so there were lots of family dinners there and lots of memories.  I probably make it down to the Cape 2 or 3 times a year. 

 

 

 

If you are a dessert guy, I promise you won't be disappointed.  If it isn't one of your top ten dessert experiences of all time, next trip to 28 Atlantic is on me. 

 

If you happen to notice a guy with an Ahoi Atlantik at the restaurant, don't hesitate to say hi.   

post #42589 of 48312

New friend. 

 

post #42590 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post

 

If you are a dessert guy, I promise you won't be disappointed.  If it isn't one of your top ten dessert experiences of all time, next trip to 28 Atlantic is on me. 

 

If you happen to notice a guy with an Ahoi Atlantik at the restaurant, don't hesitate to say hi.   

Thank you for the recommendation, I am a serious dessert guy so now I'm even more eager to get to Chatham in the spring or summer.  If I notice someone with an Ahoi Atlantik, I will be sure to say hi and I will have to get a photo of both of our watches to post here on the forum. :cheers:

post #42591 of 48312
Here's my new Sturmanskie Gagarin:

n3akyh.jpg

From what I can gather its a special / alternative edition of the Poljot Journey, number 068 of 999 if the number on the case is to be believed. The inner bezel rotates with the 10 o clock crown to select a different time zone. The chrono has central seconds and 30 minute counter at 3 o clock. The other complications are sweeping seconds at 9 o clock and a 24 hour counter at 6 o clock with the date at 12 o clock.
post #42592 of 48312
Poster boy for movement-too-small-for-case syndrome.
post #42593 of 48312

I know that TAG Heuer doesn't get a lot of love here, but from time to time, they do make some nice watches. Perhaps unfortunately, that's usually when they dip into their back catalogue and re-issue versions of their watches from the 1960s and 1970s! 

 

I recently noticed that they're re-issuing a nice-looking two-register chrono:

 

http://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-the-tag-heuer-carrera-telemeter-cal-18/

 

It looks nice, and has a "reverse panda" colour scheme for the dial and sub-dials. 

 

 

 

 

The movement's not an in-house movement, which is unusual, as TAG Heuer has been moving towards in-house movements for the past decade or so and has been jacking up their prices accordingly! 

 

However, despite not having an in-house movement, the watch isn't that cheap, as pricing has been announced as being 5900 Swiss francs. 

 

Frankly, while I like the look of the above Carrera re-edition, I'd rather search around and get an original two-register chrono from Heuer for half that amount! 

post #42594 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Male View Post

Poster boy for movement-too-small-for-case syndrome.

 

The more I hang on watch enthusiasts forums, the more I hear about this movement-too-small-for-case thingy, and I don't see what's the big deal about it. So what, if the subdials are distanced a bit from the case, and they dress up the chapter ring a bit. I find that in some case it can be a nice addition. But I guess I'm not that anal about those details as some of you guys! (not hating, just inquiring).

 

:embar:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
 

I know that TAG Heuer doesn't get a lot of love here, but from time to time, they do make some nice watches. Perhaps unfortunately, that's usually when they dip into their back catalogue and re-issue versions of their watches from the 1960s and 1970s! 

 

I recently noticed that they're re-issuing a nice-looking two-register chrono:

 

http://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-the-tag-heuer-carrera-telemeter-cal-18/

 

It looks nice, and has a "reverse panda" colour scheme for the dial and sub-dials. 

 

 

 

 

The movement's not an in-house movement, which is unusual, as TAG Heuer has been moving towards in-house movements for the past decade or so and has been jacking up their prices accordingly! 

 

However, despite not having an in-house movement, the watch isn't that cheap, as pricing has been announced as being 5900 Swiss francs. 

 

Frankly, while I like the look of the above Carrera re-edition, I'd rather search around and get an original two-register chrono from Heuer for half that amount! 

 

Very nice example. I'm not a big fan of Tag in general, but I admit that they can sometimes put out a model that I wouldn't mind sacrificing a space in my watch box for.

post #42595 of 48312
I like that Tag
post #42596 of 48312
Nice to see one of my all-time favorites getting some TWAT love.

Mine's a 2531.80 icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif





post #42597 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

Today I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas day! Mailman just dropped this for me and it fits like a glove, won't even need to go and get it sized at my local watchsmith! Calling @TheWraith



I know to some on this thread, this is just pocket change, but this is my first 'big' purchase and I'm thrilled! The bracelet is really confortable, a joy to wear!


I apologise for the subpar iPad picture, I promise I will post some nicer ones soon, for the time being I'm just too excited to concentrate on picture taking!





I know it's quartz but I feel this watch has reach quite a status (since being featured on 95's Golden Eye) and has quite a following among WIS.


Refence number 2541.80.00 for those interested!

Well done, @ShawnBC my friend! That was my first big watch, too (though mine was a Christmas gift from my sister in 2006). It's a fantastic piece that will never let you down. It's still one of my favourites. And yes, it's the Bond watch from Goldeneye, also the watch Prince William, Duke of Cambridge wears every day smile.gif
post #42598 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

The more I hang on watch enthusiasts forums, the more I hear about this movement-too-small-for-case thingy, and I don't see what's the big deal about it. So what, if the subdials are distanced a bit from the case, and they dress up the chapter ring a bit. I find that in some case it can be a nice addition. But I guess I'm not that anal about those details as some of you guys! (not hating, just inquiring).

Actually I wouldn't even have noticed if people on here had not pointed it out. It doesn't really bother me either, I'm more concerned with the external aesthetic than whether the movement is much smaller than the case.
post #42599 of 48312

It's a matter of degrees, and how much the overall design is affected.  But it tends to either be very obvious, or one of those "once you see it..." problems.  To be fair, that Sturmanskie is far from the worst example.  Where it really stands out is where a maker has two case sizes of very similar watches with the same movement.  

post #42600 of 48312

Okey, if I want to trade my IWC 3777-01 to another watch, whats your pick?

 

I can give a little bit of cash in between but not a lot, not like a YM 116622 like I really wanted before I heard the price :)

 

Rolex is the main target to trade to, but if you give me other options I´m open for that!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)