or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2825  

post #42361 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


oh she does, I am transparent about shoes to a certain extent.

This is key haha

post #42362 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post


Mrs. Dino knew one of my relatives used to sneak purchases past his wife, and years ago she said to me.  "I don't mind you buying nice things, but don't keep them a secret and sneak them into the house.  If you are buying things I want to know about them, share the excitement and fun of making the purchase."  

I'm fortunate that this is mrs aleksandr's philosophy. Also it helps that (1) both of us make very decent salaries so household finances are never an issue, and (2) I've been into the nice thing game far longer than I've known her so from day one when we started dating (and probably importantly, before she had any say in finances) I've been buying things.
post #42363 of 48312
Mrs @no frills trusts me completely, though we have our own set of joint and individual accounts we keep; I'm basically our financial planner and I give her a monthly run down of stock and flow of funds. Very open with all of our commitments and investments.

And she has her own set of decent timepieces to keep her occupied.

Also, since her wrist is only 1/4" smaller than mine, she enjoys all my watches too. Much to my chagrin sometimes when she decimates some of them given her watch wearing habits.

Also, till around four years ago she made much more money than I did so she and I have had few issues about who contributes what to the pot.
post #42364 of 48312
Doing some Exploring today.

4ffc2d36a5e0cff5969f708f8cb2a340.jpg
post #42365 of 48312
Likewise...

post #42366 of 48312

To the women we love! :cheers:

 

 

 

 

 

Say, can anyone recommend a good hunting ground for pre-owned Grand Seikos? The usual channels are underserved..

post #42367 of 48312
I'll drink to that cheers.gif
post #42368 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

 

 

Say, can anyone recommend a good hunting ground for pre-owned Grand Seikos? The usual channels are underserved..

 

There's an Australian watch shop that has some used Grand Seikos in stock: 

 

http://www.vintagewatchco.com.au/watches/CategoryID/53

post #42369 of 48312

thanks @Journeyman !

post #42370 of 48312
Some of my eclectic collection of watches (I need another watch box for the others):

post #42371 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

Some of my eclectic collection of watches (I need another watch box for the others):

 

I see your Seamaster Pro and it reminds me that mine is still in the mail and shouldn't arrive before the end of the week - I hate the waiting game!

post #42372 of 48312

Time to break out the metal bracelets for warm weather!

 

Also, does anyone have advice on how to clean grime off gator straps? 


Edited by MGoCrimson - 3/28/15 at 8:15pm
post #42373 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

I see your Seamaster Pro and it reminds me that mine is still in the mail and shouldn't arrive before the end of the week - I hate the waiting game!

You needed to be reminded??? If I had something like that coming in the mail I would obsessively and compulsively check the tracking number a dozen times each day.
post #42374 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartagasIV View Post

Tried on a few today at European Watch Co on Newbury...Dino, 
Lastly, please throw me under the bus for this if needed, but tried on a very nicely patina'ed Exp II cream dial and 1979 SD--I have zero experience with vintage Rolex in-hand, but the bracelets struck me as cheap-ish. Is this normal, need I adjust my expectations? I saw the NOS Exp 1 @ Matthew Bain recently online and dreamed.

 

A brief follow up -  I stopped in at EWC and checked out the Cream dial 16550, the 1979 SD, and the Explorer 2 1655.  I was not impressed with any of them.  All had unfortunately been subjected to over polishing of the lugs.  Not a single one had anything close to the crisp original bevel.  In addition, I could see why you were underwhelmed by the bracelets, all shows signs of rough lives and had a lot of stretch (although one could purchase a new bracelet and resolve that issue).  The cream dial 16550 was maybe in the best shape, but I didn't think the dial was very attractive, and again still not in a condition that I would actually consider it for a purchase.  For what they were asking, I would keep searching if you were truly interested in a vintage Rolex Ex2 or SD...just my 2 cents.

 

Also for our Boston natives, Mrs. Dino and I grabbed a quick snack at the Oak Bar in the Copley Fairmont.  The Waygu meatballs were a bit tough on the outside (I should have gotten the stone fire flat bread pizza).  The Whoopie Pie with marshmallow gelato was really good but I'd need to ask for more chocolate sauce on a future visit.

Then we had dinner with friends at Bar Boulud.  Had a great meal, shrimp appetizer to start, they gave us a pasta course on the house, I had a New York Strip Steak, then a chocolate dessert.  Definitely worth a visit !

 

post #42375 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Mrs @no frills trusts me completely, though we have our own set of joint and individual accounts we keep; I'm basically our financial planner and I give her a monthly run down of stock and flow of funds. Very open with all of our commitments and investments.

And she has her own set of decent timepieces to keep her occupied.

Also, since her wrist is only 1/4" smaller than mine, she enjoys all my watches too. Much to my chagrin sometimes when she decimates some of them given her watch wearing habits.

Also, till around four years ago she made much more money than I did so she and I have had few issues about who contributes what to the pot.


She's a bloody keeper there no frills!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)