or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2813  

post #42181 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

 

Ugly or not, it sets a precedent I've been waiting for: a thin digital overlay powered by the automatic mechanical movement it sits atop. 

 

 

What do you mean, a Spring Drive? :rotflmao:

post #42182 of 48312
3ce75f22afff4dad6b71e8fb75b144679661f091f9e386cab274af048bcbd8ae.jpg
post #42183 of 48312

 

 

This 'new' Zenith seems to look like lots of current Zeniths no?

post #42184 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

I am officially intrigued


 

I actually preferred the music in the video to the actual watch. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

I got chance to see the Speake-Marin Velsheda in person. While I'd be interested in the gold model, they had the steel model on blue alligator. I like it, but I'm not sure you can justify the 2-2.5x price difference between steel and gold in this model. The steel model felt pretty light weight.

I tried on a Speake-Marin watch a few years ago.  The overall design is distinctive, I respect his work, and I was glad I got to try it on.  However, that opportunity helped me to recognize its not for me.  I struggle to decide if the overall design looks special, or if it merely looks like a concept from an amateur?   Don't get me wrong, the workmanship is quite nice, but like others here the design just doesn't do it for me. 

post #42185 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I tried on a Speake-Marin watch a few years ago.  The overall design is distinctive, I respect his work, and I was glad I got to try it on.  However, that opportunity helped me to recognize its not for me.  I struggle to decide if the overall design looks special, or if it merely looks like a concept from an amateur?   Don't get me wrong, the workmanship is quite nice, but like others here the design just doesn't do it for me. 

So I'm getting different answers while trying to figure out if certain watches are Titanium or Steel from the Speake Marin line.

According to this, the silver toned version is titanium http://www.speake-marin.com/collections/j-class-collection/velsheda/velsheda-titanium/42

How different is steel from titanium? Which weighs more? Costs more? Stronger? More durable against nicks and scratches?


edit- some googling answered my own questions. Looks like titanium is lighter than steel, which is likely why I thought it was too light. Now I still wonder why they opted for titanium over steel? It looks like the 42mm versions are titanium and the 38mm versions are steel.
Edited by Superfluous - 3/24/15 at 7:37am
post #42186 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
 

 

 

This 'new' Zenith seems to look like lots of current Zeniths no?

 

There is a Rolex joke here somewhere....

post #42187 of 48312

The Porsche 911 of watches?

post #42188 of 48312
If they moved the wheels on the 911 closer and closer, so they're no longer touching the ground, then yes.
post #42189 of 48312

I meant Rolex, though perhaps the ever-expanding 911 is an allegory for this silliness.

post #42190 of 48312
I inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gif the new 911.
post #42191 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post


So I'm getting different answers while trying to figure out if certain watches are Titanium or Steel from the Speake Marin line.

According to this, the silver toned version is titanium http://www.speake-marin.com/collections/j-class-collection/velsheda/velsheda-titanium/42

How different is steel from titanium? Which weighs more? Costs more? Stronger? More durable against nicks and scratches?

edit- some googling answered my own questions. Looks like titanium is lighter than steel, which is likely why I thought it was too light. Now I still wonder why they opted for titanium over steel? It looks like the 42mm versions are titanium and the 38mm versions are steel.

Titanium is lighter, generally more of a gray color that steel.  Its also hypoallergenic (which works nicely for people who have allergies to metals with nickle content).  I've never owned a titanium watch.  I have heard that titanium resists scratching and denting better than steel, but that it is much easier to polish and remove scratches and small dents from steel.    

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I inlove.gifinlove.gifinlove.gif the new 911.

Nice cars, but I like the old air cooled 911s more than current 911.  

post #42192 of 48312
Ti scratches more easily but is harder to dent if that makes any sense..
post #42193 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Ti scratches more easily but is harder to dent if that makes any sense..

I can see that with some Ti watches.  Some have different surface texturing or finish, and some I can see more easily showing marks and scratches. 

post #42194 of 48312

post #42195 of 48312
^ Very nice. Love the Ultra Thin 39
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)