I like the SS/Platinum YM with the blue face but the raised numerals don't seem as obvious as they are on the ceramic. I am getting Royal Oak vibes from the DD but without the execution that AP has on the dial.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 11:13 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 6:50 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2802post #42017 of 483123/18/15 at 12:14pmpost #42018 of 483123/18/15 at 12:24pmpost #42019 of 483123/18/15 at 12:29pmpost #42020 of 483123/18/15 at 12:37pmQuote:
What're they going to do, just keep moving up in celestial bodies?
Moonwatch --> globemaster --> saturnmaster --> star master --> nebulamaster --> galaxymaster --> universemaster? that picture looks like a nebula, btw.post #42021 of 483123/18/15 at 12:51pmpost #42022 of 483123/18/15 at 1:08pmpost #42023 of 483123/18/15 at 1:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by tifosi
I find these pics similar and quite intriguing. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
New Rolex caliber.
New Tudor caliber.
New Omega caliber.
Obviously the Rolex/Tudor is less controversial.
When I saw the Tudor last night I thought Omega Cal 8500. Also, teak dial on the yellow rose gold daydate is very AT.post #42024 of 483123/18/15 at 2:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by UnFacconable
I'm more excited about the new Rolex movements (I guess as a response to Omega's recent advances, among others although I'm sure this has been in the works for a while) and the Tudor in-house than I am by anything cosmetic here. The north flag does nothing for me. I was considering going Tudor but now that they're moving away from ETA, really glad I didn't.
I don't think the new Rolex movements have anything to do with being a response to Omega. If read the latest Hodinkee article on Rolex, it discusses the fact that even some of their calibres are around for a long time they constantly get upgraded and improved, even though it often is not publicized. They give several concrete examples of changes that have been made to movements along the way.Quote:
Interesting. I've never liked the YM. I have always seen them as the blingier, less useful version of a Submariner (given that its basically a derivative, without any additional features, and its less water resistant), and I usually dislike watches with rubber straps and rubber bezels. Some how I find this version of the YM, more toned down with the dark/matte finished strap, bezel and dial, and oddly I find it the most appealing YM to date. Still, I wouldn't buy a YM, as I'd rather have a Sub or SD.Quote:
I hadn't really noticed that, its certainly an interesting comparison. From the photo the Rolex dial looks like it isn't engraved or doesn't have differences in depth between the squares, while the RO dials are machined and there are differences in depth between the squares and the lines around them.
Interesting, but it starts to look like a corporate gift from BMW (probably even so more if the dial is light blue).post #42025 of 483123/18/15 at 2:18pmpost #42026 of 483123/18/15 at 2:38pmQuote:
It's probably going to make to those models eventually just like the Pelagos moving away from eta. They might introduce them next year on a slightly revised BB.post #42027 of 483123/18/15 at 2:59pmpost #42028 of 483123/18/15 at 3:10pm
- Blue Pelagos: I like it. A lot. However, I'd like it even more if the dial was a slightly deeper shade of blue. I was tempted by the blue version of the Tudor Heritage Black Bay, but I didn't like the coloured detail on the crown.
- Rolex Yachtmaster in YG with black bezel. I'm normally not a fan of gold "tool" watches, but I like this. Probably because the black bezel works to tone down the gold so that it's not overpowering.
- Oyster Perpetual: A big NO to the coloured, neon-like dots. What the heck was Rolex thinking? Why mess with a great design?post #42029 of 483123/18/15 at 3:22pm
New Rolex movement looks great.
I think it is an answer to Omega's advancements. The power reserve, something Rolex has never really been an industry leader in, suddenly jumps to 70 hours vs Omega's 60. Either way, a welcome advance. Hopefully they don't keep it only in the top-end stuff.
The day-date dials are quite nice as well.
Gold YM II still is a gold tool watch which I just don't get, plus I've never loved that design anyway.
Globemaster I actually really really like except for the bezel. The connie rotor is friggen genius.post #42030 of 483123/18/15 at 4:11pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 18 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 2 minutes ago
- › Truman Boots 2 minutes ago
- › Sid Mashburn Kincaid - Tan Windowpane - 50R (40 US) 3 minutes ago
- › Sid Mashburn Kincaid - Glen Plaid Plain Weave - 50R (40 US) 5 minutes ago
- › Sid Mashburn Kincaid - Navy Hopsack Blazer - 50R (40 US) 6 minutes ago
- › Any D&G (not dolce&gabbana) jeans experts? 7 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway