or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2798  

post #41956 of 48312
Tudor North Flag

First Tudor with an In-House Movement



post #41957 of 48312
Finally was able to replace my Daytona

post #41958 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Tudor North Flag

First Tudor with an In-House Movement



 

 

 

I know that it's often spoken of as a "prestige" thing - company X is big enough/sophisticated enough to manufacture their own movements - but often it's used as a reason to jack up prices considerably. Let's hope that doesn't happen with Tudor, although I suspect that it will.

 

Also, I must admit that I'm not sure why Tudor bothered with a see-through back on that watch. Sure, it might be an in-house movement, but it's not as though it's much to look at (of course, decorated movements with see-through backs are another reason to jack up prices considerably!).

post #41959 of 48312

My first post, please be kind. I can't hang with you guys but I do have a few nice ones!

post #41960 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


I know that it's often spoken of as a "prestige" thing - company X is big enough/sophisticated enough to manufacture their own movements - but often it's used as a reason to jack up prices considerably. Let's hope that doesn't happen with Tudor, although I suspect that it will.

Also, I must admit that I'm not sure why Tudor bothered with a see-through back on that watch. Sure, it might be an in-house movement, but it's not as though it's much to look at (of course, decorated movements with see-through backs are another reason to jack up prices considerably!).

Can't speak for future releases, but this one is still pretty reasonable - $3,500 or thereabouts.
post #41961 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


I know that it's often spoken of as a "prestige" thing - company X is big enough/sophisticated enough to manufacture their own movements - but often it's used as a reason to jack up prices considerably. Let's hope that doesn't happen with Tudor, although I suspect that it will.

Also, I must admit that I'm not sure why Tudor bothered with a see-through back on that watch. Sure, it might be an in-house movement, but it's not as though it's much to look at (of course, decorated movements with see-through backs are another reason to jack up prices considerably!).

Actually, I think this model is $3650 - so, rather a good deal if you can get past the... ahem... looks. shog[1].gif
post #41962 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Tudor North Flag

First Tudor with an In-House Movement
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


There is good and bad about this watch. 

I don't like the bezel. 

I also am not sure I like the knockoff Homage of the Oysterquartz/Nautilus lugs.

I like the movement being in house. 

I like the idea that it is 40mm and not larger. 

The movement could evolve into the other lines (Black Bay, Ranger, etc)

I am torn. 

post #41963 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

White Side of the Moon

 

That is... I mean... Is that all ceramic?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Pretty incredible article on Rolex from Hodinkee: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/inside-rolex

 

Cheers to the man with value-bombs encased in brevity.

post #41964 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Pretty incredible article on Rolex from Hodinkee: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/inside-rolex

After reading this my main takeaway (other than how amazing Rolex is, which I think we all know and can agree in) is that I. Want. A. Daytona.

And this is from someone who doesn't even particular like chronos.
post #41965 of 48312
Blue Tudor Pelagos
post #41966 of 48312

I like that new Tudor, on the bracelet, as a general beater, if I wanted to spend $3,500+ on a general beater. Maybe, like the guy in the photo, if I go ice climbing I might get lucky and stumble across a couple that someone has left in a crevasse (or is that a fissure?) - honestly, these ads are hogwash sometimes.

 

That white Speedy must be aimed at the ladies, right? I can't see a man wearing it. Also, imagine how that white strap is going to look about five minutes after you've started wearing it, and then try to imagine any other kind of strap working with it. My conclusion - I'm calling BS on that one (and I am a big lover of the trad Speedy).

 

I am saving that Rolex article for my morning coffee on Sunday, if I can hold out that long. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

post #41967 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmenco View Post
 

My first post, please be kind. I can't hang with you guys but I do have a few nice ones!


Though this brand gets a lot of hate, this watch doesn't look half bad.  The date sort of ruins it but that aside, I like this for a basic watch.

post #41968 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post

There is good and bad about this watch. 
I don't like the bezel. 
I also am not sure I like the knockoff Homage of the Oysterquartz/Nautilus lugs.
I like the movement being in house. 
I like the idea that it is 40mm and not larger. 
The movement could evolve into the other lines (Black Bay, Ranger, etc)
I am torn. 

Well, they today announced Pelagos with the same movement, so there you have it. Apparently Swatch's decision to cut back on ETA deliveries forces them to in-house.
Edited by kimmo - 3/18/15 at 6:04am
post #41969 of 48312

Strange- that Montblanc doesn't look like a Montblanc, if you know what I mean. I quite like it, but I agree that it would look better without the date.

post #41970 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

I like that new Tudor, on the bracelet, as a general beater, if I wanted to spend $3,500+ on a general beater. Maybe, like the guy in the photo, if I go ice climbing I might get lucky and stumble across a couple that someone has left in a crevasse (or is that a fissure?) - honestly, these ads are hogwash sometimes.

That white Speedy must be aimed at the ladies, right? I can't see a man wearing it. Also, imagine how that white strap is going to look about five minutes after you've started wearing it, and then try to imagine any other kind of strap working with it. My conclusion - I'm calling BS on that one (and I am a big lover of the trad Speedy).

I am saving that Rolex article for my morning coffee on Sunday, if I can hold out that long. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.


I'm looking at the second Rolex as a weekend watch to compliment my 116520 Daytona and have a budget at $4500-5K. I thought about Tudor NF for less but going to look at slightly pre-owned 16610 or new Exp I.

That Rolex article was amazing, you will enjoy it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)