or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2783  

post #41731 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

BH, the "Coke" is a real beauty; I think I'm one of the few who prefer it to the "Pepsi".  Nice kop; enjoy, and post moar pics when it's had a bath.

No, you're not the only one. I prefer the Coke as well fistbump.gif
post #41732 of 48312

In two days, it will be one year (to the day) since I bought my Omega Speedmaster 3573.50, which I love for being the model where the original, thoroughbred, Speedmaster "jumped the shark." But this isn't about Speedy.

 

Oblivious to the precision of this precedent I was setting for March being "watch month," a new wave of obsessive research wound up manifesting this little beauty:

 

 

 

Never thought I'd wind up wanting a Rolex. But, as it turns out, my process objectively determined the 16710 to be the absolute optimal GMT watch for my needs (if not for most people's). At under $5k, she was a steal, though she needed a bit of a makeover.

 

 

Earlier today I picked her up from the spa, we went on a little drive.

 

 

After a few motorists honked their frustration, I think she seemed to sense that I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She insisted we pull in someplace dark and quiet.

 

 

After some alone time, I took her inside to meet her new flatmates.

 

 

And now she's already picking out my outfits for me! At least she's only concerned with accessories.

 

 

 

Initial Impressions

 

The bezel's metallic shimmer draws the eyes to the bright, glimmering indices, whereupon the matching red GMT hand begs your momentary attention before you quickly ponder the very-readable time and date. Your departing eye glances once more over to the understated, matte steel bracelet, marveling at its feeling of both lightness and durability.

 

What's to say that hasn't been said before? It's not too heavy, not too busy, just the perfect weight and so comfortable I'd forget it's there if it weren't so beautiful to look at. As an older model, it's got some street cred for looking as relevant and lovely as it does even today. The time is easy to set although, as part of a larger rotation, I'm sure a quick-set date would be missed.

 

What I love most about the 16710 is that, while it's got undeniable pizzazz, it still feels like a tool watch; a machine to be used without the kid gloves. As I write this, it occurs to me that I feel the same way about Speedy. Could that ethos be the core of my overall aesthetic sensibility?

 

What a wonderful thing when watch shopping causes one to learn something about himself.

post #41733 of 48312

Amazing post.  Had never really loved that watch but suddenly.... :bigstar:

 

(^ btw trickers?)

post #41734 of 48312
^ Everyone is tempting me with watches I can't have (at the moment). Grrrrr.... facepalm.giflol8[1].gif
post #41735 of 48312
Great watch, BH.
post #41736 of 48312
+1 - awesome kop and great write-up icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #41737 of 48312
Love the write-up BostonHedonist. Enjoy that Rolex... And your Speedy!
post #41738 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post

Amazing post.  Had never really loved that watch but suddenly.... bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

(^ btw trickers?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

^ Everyone is tempting me with watches I can't have (at the moment). Grrrrr.... facepalm.giflol8[1].gif

This thread is dangerous like that. I woke up one day to find myself the (slightly sheepish) owner of a BLNR after spending too much time in here.

On the question of dates, I never bother to set the dates on my watches. I know it takes all of 30 seconds, and I like to think its my small, unnoticeable effort towards "sprezzatura" but its probably just laziness.
post #41739 of 48312
+1 BH that was a great post.

Anybody else catch a Seiko diver back there?

Everybody needs one!
post #41740 of 48312
Stopped by Govberg today to check out their sale. I was mostly interested in Nomos so that's all I really looked at, but if anyone is interested they have 30% off list for an Orion anthrazit #307, an Orion 38 datum weiß #381, a Zurich #801 and a Zurich datum (I think) #802. The Zurich 801 was quite nice, but I was hoping for a Zurich blaugold or a standard Orion 35 or 38 to try. Lots of stuff pretty heavily discounted though. I was really pressed for time, so I didn't really check out much else, but the Glashutte Original PanoReserves and PanoMatics looked pretty fantastic too, although out of my budget.
post #41741 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

 

 

 

 

 

What a wonderful thing when watch shopping causes one to learn something about himself.

+1

 

Yes its always great when you learn something about yourself from watch shopping, or when you learn something about yourself from another's watch shopping experience.  For years I have generally favored the look of the Pepsi bezel insert on GMTs, however after looking at the 2 photos above I have new found appreciation for the Coke bezel.  In the back of my mind I've toyed a bit with the idea of a Pepsi GMT of some sort, but if I do eventually add another GMT...I'll now be more open to the idea of a Coke GMT.  :decisions:

 

Great write up and I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your Coke GMT.  :cheers: 

post #41742 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

Stopped by Govberg today to check out their sale. I was mostly interested in Nomos so that's all I really looked at, but if anyone is interested they have 30% off list for an Orion anthrazit #307, an Orion 38 datum weiß #381, a Zurich #801 and a Zurich datum (I think) #802. The Zurich 801 was quite nice, but I was hoping for a Zurich blaugold or a standard Orion 35 or 38 to try. Lots of stuff pretty heavily discounted though. I was really pressed for time, so I didn't really check out much else, but the Glashutte Original PanoReserves and PanoMatics looked pretty fantastic too, although out of my budget.

Was the manual wind Club on sale?
post #41743 of 48312

Thanks for the complements guys.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
 

 

(^ btw trickers?)

 

Yep! Horween cavalier from Richard (the Shoehealer).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post


Anybody else catch a Seiko diver back there?

Everybody needs one!

 

Agreed! It's such a low-stress watch to toss around on the beach.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

  In the back of my mind I've toyed a bit with the idea of a Pepsi GMT of some sort, but if I do eventually add another GMT...I'll now be more open to the idea of a Coke GMT.  :decisions:

 

Great write up and I hope you get many years of enjoyment from your Coke GMT.  :cheers: 

 

Cheers! :cheers:  Glad to have opened your eyes what bit I did. :devil:

post #41744 of 48312

I'm really beginning to hate Daylight Savings Time. 

 

post #41745 of 48312

is that your collection?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)