or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2781  

post #41701 of 48312

With the Euro approaching parity of the USD is there anyplace overseas that is worth buying from?  I know with places like Carmina the shoes are about $200 less directly than through US distributors.  

post #41702 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Not sure what you mean by cleaning her up...but unless there are some bad dings, I'd avoid getting it polished.  The more these get polished they tend to lose their original crisp edges and beveling along the lugs.  

The guy I bought it from hadn't cleaned the grit from the bracelet so I'm having it cleaned and then just a light buffing to blend some scratches. The case is pretty much getting left alone. Good advice though.

Pleased to report its timing in at +/- 5 and tests at 5 atm. Guess it doesn't need a factory service for at least a few more years.

Can 5atm WR be taken snorkeling? Or is it really just for light swimming.
post #41703 of 48312

BH, the "Coke" is a real beauty; I think I'm one of the few who prefer it to the "Pepsi".  Nice kop; enjoy, and post moar pics when it's had a bath.

post #41704 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Well, you fuck a goat once... you're a goatfucker.

 

:rotflmao:  

post #41705 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post


So, I've been chewing over my next watch and feel the need for something quite casual/sporty on a bracelet. Had a look at the Nautilus and Aquanaut range in a Patek boutique today and have also considered the Rolex Milgauss *but* have pretty much decided I don't like shiny bracelets.

So any pointers as to a fairly plain sports watch on a titanium bracelet, budget GBP 5-10K? I really like the look of the Omega Planet Ocean and will try that on asap, but I suspect it'll be too thick at 17mm.

Any other options?

I like Tifosi's idea of a Rolex Explorer.  You could also consider an Explorer 2 if you don't have a watch yet with a second time zone. 

 

Titanium options are limited.  You mention a fairly plain sports watch on a ti bracelet and the only thing that comes to mind are some of Breguet's Type XX, XXI or XXII watches, which are chronographs and not very plain looking.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post


The guy I bought it from hadn't cleaned the grit from the bracelet so I'm having it cleaned and then just a light buffing to blend some scratches. The case is pretty much getting left alone. Good advice though.

Pleased to report its timing in at +/- 5 and tests at 5 atm. Guess it doesn't need a factory service for at least a few more years.

Can 5atm WR be taken snorkeling? Or is it really just for light swimming.

Not sure how old your GMT is.  5ATMs is enough to go swimming and possibly snorkel with, as back in the day all Rolex until maybe the early 80s were only wr to 5ATMs unless it was a SD or Sub.  

 

However, newer Rolex GMTs are water resistant to 10 ATMs, so I wonder if your watch is not as water resistant as it should be.  Might be fine for swimming, but I wouldn't wear it for snorkeling if it should be WR to 10 ATMs.  Just my 2 cents. 

post #41706 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post

So any pointers as to a fairly plain sports watch on a titanium bracelet, budget GBP 5-10K?

If not being shiny is the main concern, it's hard to beat a brushed SS oyster bracelet, like tifosi mentions.

But if you're serious about the Ti bracelet, I would look for an IWC Aquatimer 3536 Titanium (from when IWC made watches worth considering devil.gif )

Quick pic from the net:

tumblr_l5h16n8hsU1qaugiso1_500.png


Or - a good deal cheaper at about $1K - this Seiko, also in titanium:

s_sbdc007a_1024x1024.jpeg
post #41707 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post

Thought I'd share my modest collection; request for advice coming next:

 

That Nomos Tetra is absolutely beautiful. Deets on the strap?

post #41708 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

BH, the "Coke" is a real beauty; I think I'm one of the few who prefer it to the "Pepsi".  Nice kop; enjoy, and post moar pics when it's had a bath.

I suppose that makes two of us at least. All the bezel variations are great, but I tend to prefer no more than two major colors to a watch. And I've always thought red and black a very striking combination.
post #41709 of 48312

@Winot: if you're going more expensive (looking at Pateks and whatnot), how about the AP ROO 26170Ti?  Plenty around used, if that's a possibility, for not too much over your $10k limit.

post #41710 of 48312

The design on this new B&M Clifton really speaks to me. Not sure of the movement details, and not crazy about the 43mm case size, but from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, I really like the look of it.

 

More details here:

http://www.timeandwatches.com/2014/12/pre-sihh-2015-baume-et-mercier-clifton.html

 

post #41711 of 48312
It's not exactly within the price range of this thread, but I saw someone recommended it the other day. I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago for £185 brand new, and I have to say it's excellent value for money. It's probably one of the nicest budget dress watches out there.

post #41712 of 48312

Agreed, Tissot Visodate is on my top 10 dressier watch for the price point.

post #41713 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

That Nomos Tetra is absolutely beautiful. Deets on the strap?

Thanks - it's a bespoke stingray from these people in London:

http://www.jean-rousseau.com
post #41714 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

If not being shiny is the main concern, it's hard to beat a brushed SS oyster bracelet, like tifosi mentions.

But if you're serious about the Ti bracelet, I would look for an IWC Aquatimer 3536 Titanium (from when IWC made watches worth considering devil.gif )

Quick pic from the net:

tumblr_l5h16n8hsU1qaugiso1_500.png


Or - a good deal cheaper at about $1K - this Seiko, also in titanium:

s_sbdc007a_1024x1024.jpeg

Thanks - the Aquatimer looks good and there's one available here.
post #41715 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

@Winot
: if you're going more expensive (looking at Pateks and whatnot), how about the AP ROO 26170Ti?  Plenty around used, if that's a possibility, for not too much over your $10k limit.

Thanks but dial looks a bit fussy for my monkish tastes.smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)