or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2777  

post #41641 of 48312
This today. Unusually (for me) with a suit, but I haven't worn him for a couple of weeks.

post #41642 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post

I'm no expert either, but I could've sworn there was another photo with a sub (which ShawnBC refers to in his above-quoted post) which now seems to have been deleted. That one was definitely fishy to me. 

 

Yes, there was a photo of a Sub that's disappeared. I thought that the dot on the arrow at the top of the bezel (or the "pearl", as ShawnBC called it) was misplaced on the arrow, which is unusual. Then again, perhaps it was just the angle of the photo. 

 

The date window on the Day Date also looks a bit too "square" - it's normally rectangular and if you look at the cyclops, you can see that it's rectangular but that the date window isn't. The font of the date numerals also looks a bit unusual. Then again, perhaps it's just the angle again, as I'm no expert in these things. 

post #41643 of 48312

Guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I have spent far too much time of late researching watches and this thread is consistently the first place I check-in, so thanks for the quality information and entertainment.

 

Love the AP 15400 posted a few pages back. 

 

I am based in Australia, and given current exchange rate, the Euro is becoming relatively better value than pre-owned watch options in the US. 

 

Can anyone recommend a good pre-owned shop in the Eurozone that ships internationally?

 

Thanks in advance. 

post #41644 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post

I'm no expert either, but I could've sworn there was another photo with a sub (which ShawnBC refers to in his above-quoted post) which now seems to have been deleted. That one was definitely fishy to me. 

Yes, there was a photo of a Sub that's disappeared. I thought that the dot on the arrow at the top of the bezel (or the "pearl", as ShawnBC called it) was misplaced on the arrow, which is unusual. Then again, perhaps it was just the angle of the photo. 

The date window on the Day Date also looks a bit too "square" - it's normally rectangular and if you look at the cyclops, you can see that it's rectangular but that the date window isn't. The font of the date numerals also looks a bit unusual. Then again, perhaps it's just the angle again, as I'm no expert in these things. 

And did they ever make a steel-gold Day Date?
post #41645 of 48312
There were two fake Submariners in that post, which have now been removed. Both had bezels that looked off and 'white gold' surrounds on the dial that was too high, almost like on a nipple dial. One, as mentioned, also had the off set pearl (not just photo angle), while the other had a crown guard with wrong lines and very obviously fake hands.

Lets see how long the rest of them remain posted...
post #41646 of 48312

Tough crowd for the new guy. Here's another. Tell me why its "Fake." Go through every single one of them and tell me why, please. Amuse me. I'm no advertiser and I'm not trying to get away with anything. Just thought I'd share something. 

Also, I took down the other two because I don't need to listen to this all. 

 

post #41647 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

And did they ever make a steel-gold Day Date?
No
post #41648 of 48312
I believe Tudor may have. Refinished dial?
post #41649 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyor View Post

I believe Tudor may have. Refinished dial?
Refinished and rebranded are pretty far apart...
post #41650 of 48312

Just got back from holiday in Mexico, and what was waiting for me on my desk?

 

post #41651 of 48312

This is what I most dislike about some fake watch users. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% against fake watches per se (although I could never live with myself owning one), but at least if people could be honest and upfront about it.

 

I mean, I can certainly understand the appeal of owning a replica of a watch that could particularly love but could never afford (the AP RO 15400, in my case). The thing is, if people ask you about their legitimacy, please be honest, you'll get less hate. To me, that's the difference between the guy who truly love the watch but couldn't justify the real deal and the one who's into deception and trying to be someone he clearly isn't.

 

For ethic and moral reasons, I've been against fake watches all of my life, but at one point, I almost caved in for a rep AP RO 15400 (2 factories make some pretty decent rep) but then I didn't, because part of the joy of owning a watch is being proud of it (showing it to my friends and family, on FB, wearing the hell out of it, etc.) which can't be done with a replica; I guess the possibility of being called out and feeling guilty about it is just too much to bear. 

 

In the end, I'm not trying to make the apology of fake watches nor condone their use, but at least, if people wearing fake could be upfront and honest about it, it would tickle me less. 

post #41652 of 48312

that AP is 100% real. 

post #41653 of 48312
This...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic37 View Post

Tough crowd for the new guy. Here's another. Tell me why its "Fake." Go through every single one of them and tell me why, please.

...Is logically inconsistent with this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic37 View Post

Also, I took down the other two because I don't need to listen to this all. 

...and you are effectively conceding that you are simply posting counterfeit goods...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic37 View Post

Amuse me. I'm no advertiser and I'm not trying to get away with anything. Just thought I'd share something.

...and therefore I don't believe anyone should waste their time, and you certainly don't belong here.
post #41654 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

Just got back from holiday in Mexico, and what was waiting for me on my desk?

 

Wowza - loving that Coke.:cheers:

post #41655 of 48312

I was going to call FAKE on the AP Royal Oak but I think Dino posted something a while ago about old AP RO's.  While the "screws" or whatever are misaligned, they also have the feature of not flat but sort of convex looking.  I think the older RO's had this characteristic.  I am by no means a AP expert though.  

 

The only recent FAKE I would call is on BostonHedonist and he needs to send the GMT to me for further investigation.  I will not return fakes. :lol: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)