Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 11:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/23/16 at 10:32am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2774post #41597 of 483123/8/15 at 10:12pmpost #41598 of 483123/9/15 at 4:06am
Tissot or Hamilton would be my suggestions for a cheaper Swiss-made mechanical watch, from about $500 upwards. Stowa for a German-made watch with a Swiss movement, around $1000. If the budget is really tight, then Seiko's mechanical watches just can't be beaten: under $100 for a dress or casual watch, about $200 for an indestructible dive watch.
I'm assuming the one you link to is a quartz watch. There are lots of those that are Swiss-made and cheap. Swatch, for example. But mechanical watches are where the love is (with certain esteemed exceptions, that cost a lot more than $100).post #41599 of 483123/9/15 at 4:32ampost #41600 of 483123/9/15 at 4:51ampost #41601 of 483123/9/15 at 7:57ampost #41602 of 483123/9/15 at 8:01ampost #41603 of 483123/9/15 at 8:27ampost #41604 of 483123/9/15 at 11:31am
Watching the cnet discussion of the apple watch event. Apple is showing a lot of close up pictures of the insides of the watch, the making of it, etc. Going after the 'watch collector' market that would appreciate that type of thing? Figure many folks on this thread will be getting the gold version.post #41605 of 483123/9/15 at 12:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by velomatt
Watching the cnet discussion of the apple watch event. Apple is showing a lot of close up pictures of the insides of the watch, the making of it, etc. Going after the 'watch collector' market that would appreciate that type of thing? Figure many folks on this thread will be getting the gold version.
I doubt they're really going after the real watch collector demographic. I think they are smart enough to know that people who enjoy mechanical time-pieces won't see the iWatch (or whatever they call it) as one. I think they are trying to convince the ignorant masses that this is a real watch, and make them feel as if they are providing a niche that previous smart-watches have not tapped into yet.post #41606 of 483123/9/15 at 12:43pmpost #41607 of 483123/9/15 at 12:45pmpost #41608 of 483123/9/15 at 12:49pmI love this statement. As though no one has considered this...Quote:Perhaps most daunting for those considering spending thousands on an 18k Apple Watch? It will certainly be an investment, but not in the same way an artisanal 18-karat gold Swiss watch might be. Technology is ever-evolving and fickle, and the Apple Watch may quickly become obsolete. It needs to be charged every day, and in a few years its battery will stop working altogether. This is not an heirloom.
http://www.wired.com/2015/03/yes-theres-market-10000-apple-watch/post #41609 of 483123/9/15 at 1:08pmpost #41610 of 483123/9/15 at 1:16pm
Maybe I am cynical...
I have no expectations for this Apple watch
No serious watch collector will be interested in this as a collector's piece.
It is a novelty.
The markup on the gold is irrational.
The internals are 100% identical.
I am not saying I wouldn't get a sport model to work out with, but that's about it.
Honestly, even to work out with, I am concerned about the reliability of the strap if I were running or similar.
Oh and I think you still need your phone with you, but I am not 100% sure.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 19 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 5 minutes ago
- › Why all the hate for wholecuts? 8 minutes ago
- › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask... 9 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 10 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › 2016 50 Book Challenge 13 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...