or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2767  

post #41491 of 48312
Excellent pick up, @Keith T!!

We bought a BLNR today, LNIB papers and all. Our first one, and as I talk more and more with dealers, I see more and more of them are hitting the secondary market.
post #41492 of 48312
I can kind of see how a BLNR could be a watch that burns hot but cools off quickly.
post #41493 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

^ I think people who are jealous at time worn watches are jealous that they haven't had the same watch themselves over many years and time worn it themselves to the same degree. I think that's what they mean by being jealous.

 

I'm not so sure, and I think that you might be being a bit too generous there. There's quite clearly a demand for well-worn watches and on various watch forums and in sale listings, there are mentions of the dial patination, faded bezels, the way the tritium has changed colour and so on.

 

Clearly, there are people out there want to buy watches with a history, even though it's not their own history. Maybe it's just me, but I do find a bit odd. Surely it's better to make your own history with an object, rather than borrow someone else's?

post #41494 of 48312
I take it you are all jealous of the patina on this beauty:
post #41495 of 48312

^ She certainly looks like she's got quite a bit of history...

post #41496 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Excellent pick up, @Keith T!!

We bought a BLNR today, LNIB papers and all. Our first one, and as I talk more and more with dealers, I see more and more of them are hitting the secondary market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

I can kind of see how a BLNR could be a watch that burns hot but cools off quickly.


Well, how much off MSRP did it cost? Why did the guy want to sell?

I actually got mine pre-owned as well, got a pretty decent deal. Don't think I'll cool on it though! I took a long time to decide between that and Coke/Pepsi but I realised I liked the ceramic look better.
post #41497 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Because I've grown fond of you guys, I would like to share with you this picture of a weasel riding on a woodpecker.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


You are welcome.

You got the photoshopped version.

The original, that Putin doesn't want you to see, is here:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
gjkZo6j.jpg
post #41498 of 48312
Overgenerous, @Journeyman? Maybe, but I was talking of people on this forum mainly that have/may have spoken about being jealous. Obviously outside this forum I'm sure there are many after such a patina for the reasons you describe.

The way I see it as similar to why people buy antiques. There are many reasons why they buy, many aspects they love with what they've bought, but one of them undoubtedly is the item's story, its history. It isn't their history, but they want to partake of it all the same. I see a similar feeling with people and watches with such a patina. I don't really see a problem with that. Not what I would want myself, I prefer my watches to be in pristine condition when I buy them, but to each their own.
Edited by TheWraith - 3/4/15 at 8:48pm
post #41499 of 48312
Aleks, no idea why he sold it, and unfortunately confidentiality prevents me from saying what we paid. frown.gif
post #41500 of 48312
Surely the point is "Stitchy is selling a BLNR and will make dealz for TWATbros"?
post #41501 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Surely the point is "Stitchy is selling a BLNR and will make dealz for TWATbros"?

Boom.
post #41502 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Surely the point is "Stitchy is selling a BLNR and will make dealz for TWATbros"?

Obvi
post #41503 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Surely the point is "Stitchy is selling a BLNR and will make dealz for TWATbros"?

Sadly not relevant to my interests.
post #41504 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

I'm not so sure, and I think that you might be being a bit too generous there. There's quite clearly a demand for well-worn watches and on various watch forums and in sale listings, there are mentions of the dial patination, faded bezels, the way the tritium has changed colour and so on.

Clearly, there are people out there want to buy watches with a history, even though it's not their own history. Maybe it's just me, but I do find a bit odd. Surely it's better to make your own history with an object, rather than borrow someone else's?

Two personal examples here. My wife bought me a 40 year old Rolex for my 40th birthday, and a ten year old Speedy for our tenth anniversary. I think it's neat that these were made (roughly) when important events in my life were happening. I'm not massively interested in the watches' own history, or that of their previous owners, although I sometimes wonder what adventures the Rolex might have had before we met. I just like wearing something that's as old as I am (in the case of the Rolex).

Now, if I happened to buy a second hand Pepsi just because I liked it, I really wouldn't care less about its history and I'd want it in as good condition as possible so I can start adding my own history to it.
Edited by Dachshund - 3/4/15 at 1:43am
post #41505 of 48312
Saw this for sale at a local pre-owned place I like to visit from time to time to drool over stuff I shouldn't be looking at.



It boggles the mind but actually works very well on the wrist.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)