or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2759  

post #41371 of 48312
Amazing. I most definitely am interested, and do feel free to see if any of your buddies are looking to sell some AP signage.

cheers.gif
post #41372 of 48312
I want a sign from a watch manufacturer about as much as I want a sign from the company that makes my toaster.

sarcasm.gif
post #41373 of 48312

Are those signs even swiss made? :stirpot:

post #41374 of 48312

I never knew there was a market for such things.  Eeenteresting...

post #41375 of 48312

Does anyone have any experience with Wilk Watchworks out of Canada?

 

Yeah, he is buying Asian and ETA movements, but so are a lot of the 'swiss' companies. Curious what you guys think.

 

I'm not huge on "brand", although I can appreciate the vertical integration of Rolex and the stuff that Nomos is doing to bring capabilities in house. But for a lot of the industry, they are essentially design houses.

 

https://instagram.com/wilkwatchworks/

 


Edited by velomatt - 2/27/15 at 10:36am
post #41376 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by velomatt View Post
 

Does anyone have any experience with Wilk Watchworks out of Canada?

 

Yeah, he is buying Asian and ETA movements, but so are a lot of the 'swiss' companies. Curious what you guys think.

 

I'm not huge on "brand", although I can appreciate the vertical integration of Rolex and the stuff that Nomos is doing to bring capabilities in house. But for a lot of the industry, they are essentially design houses.

These just appear to be fashion watches.  

 

There is nothing wrong with ETA movements, most are good, solid, reliable movements.  However, the finish can be drastically different at different price points.  So don't make the mistake of lumping in $500 watches with being of the same quality in terms of fit and finish as say a $5,000 watch using an ETA movement.  

 

Also, I'm not sure what the reference is to Rolex or Nomos.  Both are far more than merely "Brand" names.  They are much higher quality in terms of finish and workmanship, but at a very different price point than Wilk.  

 

For $500 or less I would probably just get a nice solid Seiko...but that's just my 2 cents. 

post #41377 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

These just appear to be fashion watches.  

 

There is nothing wrong with ETA movements, most are good, solid, reliable movements.  However, the finish can be drastically different at different price points.  So don't make the mistake of lumping in $500 watches with being of the same quality in terms of fit and finish as say a $5,000 watch using an ETA movement.  

 

Also, I'm not sure what the reference is to Rolex or Nomos.  Both are far more than merely "Brand" names.  They are much higher quality in terms of finish and workmanship, but at a very different price point than Wilk.  

 

For $500 or less I would probably just get a nice solid Seiko...but that's just my 2 cents. 

 

Merely saying they stand out as doing more actual work on the time keeping parts of the watch. Rolex doing everything in house and Nomos working on their own escapement. I'm sure there are others. To me, that represents something more important than a company that is sourcing movements, making modifications and putting a big premium on the finished product because of brand and design. At that point, the value isn't in the watch's mechanics... so why pay the high price?

post #41378 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by velomatt View Post
 

 

Merely saying they stand out as doing more actual work on the time keeping parts of the watch. Rolex doing everything in house and Nomos working on their own escapement. I'm sure there are others. To me, that represents something more important than a company that is sourcing movements, making modifications and putting a big premium on the finished product because of brand and design. At that point, the value isn't in the watch's mechanics... so why pay the high price?

Thank you for clarifying that.  There is certainly something to be said for in house movements, and many companies today offer them.  Sure, I can see you placing a greater value in that than someone modifying a movement and putting it in their own watch.  That being said, you have to be careful that you are not merely lumping all watches together that use an outsourced movement.  First not all outsourced movements are the same quality, and some are exceptional, in quality, finish, and exclusivity and are on many levels finer than what you will find in a Rolex or many other brand that make everything in house.  

 

I certainly enjoy my Rolex watches, and they are really great quality.  However, they are no where nearly as well finished, refined or exclusive as the movements (or watches) such as the Patek 5070 or 3700,  Audemars RO Chronograph or Dual Time, or a VC Historique Chronograph, VC 222, or any of the Privee Cartier model. The aforementioned are anything but fashion watches, and the movements even if developed outside the company are  top quality movements that rival and in some cases are nicer than most in house movements from other brands. The Wilk watches are basic fashion watches...nothing wrong with them, but nothing special. 

post #41379 of 48312
Hey gang, I have a few hours to kill in New York next Friday and wanted to check out some watches. I was planning on dropping by the IWC and Panerai boutiques. Any good places to just browse some vintage watches, maybe try some stuff on, or just chat with folks? I know some of the places are so small and it can be awkward just standing there looking at watches. Vintage Universal Geneve has really caught my eye lately but I am very uneducated on that brand. Do you think there's anywhere to take a look at a couple?

Thanks!
post #41380 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillardiv View Post

Hey gang, I have a few hours to kill in New York next Friday and wanted to check out some watches. I was planning on dropping by the IWC and Panerai boutiques. Any good places to just browse some vintage watches, maybe try some stuff on, or just chat with folks? I know some of the places are so small and it can be awkward just standing there looking at watches. Vintage Universal Geneve has really caught my eye lately but I am very uneducated on that brand. Do you think there's anywhere to take a look at a couple?

Thanks!

 

http://www.aaronfaber.com/WATCHES_home.asp

 

They've got a lot of very cool stuff - can't vouch for the prices, they're in expensive real estate though.

post #41381 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post

http://www.aaronfaber.com/WATCHES_home.asp

They've got a lot of very cool stuff - can't vouch for the prices, they're in expensive real estate though.

I don't plan on buying anything while I'm there, so not too worried about prices. More worried about just finding a cool place that would be welcoming for me to see some stuff I haven't seen in person.
post #41382 of 48312

Give it a go then!  VC boutique on the upper east side has a few vintage pieces as well.

post #41383 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherblue View Post

I want a sign from a watch manufacturer about as much as I want a sign from the company that makes my toaster.

sarcasm.gif

Damn. Who makes your toaster, gopher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I never knew there was a market for such things.  Eeenteresting...

Check eBay. There is a huge market for all kinds of accessories.
post #41384 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


Damn. Who makes your toaster, gopher?
 

:rotflmao:

I know seriously....do you think his toaster is made by AP?

post #41385 of 48312

Target acquired: 2007 GMT II 16710. Rationale: 116710 just, well, shimmers a bit more than I'm comfortable with. Now the final consideration: black bezel or "Coke."

 

I could spend a month trying to decide.

 

:eh:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)