WOW! Nice one. Surely go for it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 8:20 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 10/23/16 at 10:43am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2754post #41297 of 483122/24/15 at 7:40amQuote:
It's $1500+/- and you get new straps included ($400 retail). Turn around time is supposed to very good.post #41298 of 483122/24/15 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by DLJr
It's also designed to be a relatively simple dress watch. Most simple dress watches don't scream spectacular on the surface. The dial is it's show off aspect rather than the case, which I suppose can be a bit boring compared to gold, but is still quite well finished. If you look at other similar watches in the price range, to steal from Hodinkee, do the ALS Saxonia or Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle Small Seconds scream spectacular to you personally from the dial and case alone? Personally I love fairly simple dress watches, so I like all 3 with the FPJ as my favorite (hands, dial, and movement tipping the scales) and the VC as a close second. Given your previous posts, I'm guessing simple dress watches in general don't speak to you as much, but I could be wrong.
I think there are ranges of dressy to a "dress watch." If I wanted one for very formal, my favorite is the Patek 5119R, which is a fairly simple dial yet very elegant I think. If I'm looking for something less dressy, then I think I want more out of the dial/design.post #41299 of 483122/24/15 at 7:55ampost #41300 of 483122/24/15 at 8:08ampost #41301 of 483122/24/15 at 8:09ampost #41302 of 483122/24/15 at 8:30ampost #41303 of 483122/24/15 at 11:00amThe FPJ is really something you have to see in person. The tantalum case is heavy like platinum, the strap is top-notch, the dial plays with the light like no other dial I've ever seen, and the rose gold movement with the hidden gear train is something else. The one complaint I have with it is it's a huge PITA to wind -- the crown is tiny and it hurts my fingers to wind.
That being said, there's plenty of watches I'd buy for $20k before the FPJ.post #41304 of 483122/24/15 at 12:44pmIntresting article in Forbes about watches worn at the Oscars. When watching the show I noticed the red gold of Bradley Cooper's watch and the AP on the clasp when Neil Patrick Harris was showing his predictions envelope.
http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/#/sites/valeriejack/2015/02/23/two-timing-host-neil-patrick-harris-wears-piaget-and-audemars-piguet-at-the-2015-oscars/post #41305 of 483122/24/15 at 1:23pmpost #41306 of 483122/24/15 at 2:31pmpost #41307 of 483122/24/15 at 2:48pmpost #41308 of 483122/24/15 at 4:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by djh
The FPJ is really something you have to see in person. The tantalum case is heavy like platinum, the strap is top-notch, the dial plays with the light like no other dial I've ever seen, and the rose gold movement with the hidden gear train is something else. The one complaint I have with it is it's a huge PITA to wind -- the crown is tiny and it hurts my fingers to wind.
That being said, there's plenty of watches I'd buy for $20k before the FPJ.
+1 to all of this.
Absolute stunner in person.
I do think the watch is neither over-hyped, nor under....for the most part, properly rated by those who have had a chance to view it up close.
And furthermore, it absolutely belongs in that category with the entry-level VC and Lange, as featured in Hodinkee awhile back. No reason to keep it out of the conversation.
But still...it's considered a "boutique" brand for sure, and therefore comes with all of that, um....baggage, you might say.
Good point about the crown, which could be a deal-breaker for a guy with meaty paws LOL.post #41309 of 483122/24/15 at 4:37pmpost #41310 of 483122/24/15 at 4:48pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Currently, there are 930 Active Users (95 Members and 835 Guests)
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 9 minutes ago
- › Thrifted Hermes Tie - Was this widened? How to restore to original... 14 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 27 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 29 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 33 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 37 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 42 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 49 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 52 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...