Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 11:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/23/16 at 10:32am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2746post #41176 of 483122/19/15 at 6:58ampost #41177 of 483122/19/15 at 7:05ampost #41178 of 483122/19/15 at 8:25am
Speaking of incredibly expensive things...
Great videopost #41179 of 483122/19/15 at 8:37ampost #41180 of 483122/19/15 at 8:49amQuote:Originally Posted by cyc wid it
Hmm colors came out funny under less than ideal lighting. Will provide better shots at a later date. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Glad you went for it my friend! Looks great! I look forward to seeing a wrist shot soon. If you hadn't chosen to purchase it, I might have felt compelled to do so, so thank you for doing my wallet a favor All kidding aside, its a classic, enjoy!Quote:Originally Posted by Find Finn
MB is brining the Maybach back, but as a S600 LWB Maybach and not a standalone model, I think the reason why the Maybach failed was the styling, the car itself wasn't bad and could easily have become a succes if it had looked better.
The problem with the Phaeton was the badge, the thought of a luxury VW seems odd to most people and in that segment buyers want badge prestige, so people can see they made it, which a VW doesn't have, its a bit of the same thing with the Touareg.
Yes, I've heard they are bringing it back. However, I had heard it will brought back, at least in the US as a Mercedes Benz and it will be a Maybach model. It will not be the Maybach brand. I always thought it was hideous, but I still think its price range for a sedan hurt it significantly. I don't live in the wealthiest area in the US, but when Maybachs were available we were still seeing so many more Rolls Phantoms and Bentleys in our area than Maybachs. I've venture to say for every 10-15 Phantoms I would see maybe 1 Maybach.
As for the Phaeton W12, I never really understood them bringing that car out and pricing it in Audi A8 price range. Yes, it had a W12 engine, but still as mentioned it seemed to pricey to most people here for a VW...and VW has never been noted for its reliability here.Quote:
My favorite comment about Patek's advertising was what someone posted on another forum several years ago. "You never actually own a Patek, you merely pay for Philippe Stern's future generations."post #41181 of 483122/19/15 at 10:48amQuote:
The mismatch between the prices of Patek annual calendars currently in production (despite the recent price decrease in the US), and perpetual calendars that have been discontinued, always sways me towards the discontinued perpetuals.
The 5205's aesthetics, particularly in RG with a black dial, is the closest competition to a classic 3940 in YG (which continues to be Philippe Stern's daily wearer, as it has been for two decades or so) - but only if you can get it at 20 off its current MSRP.
Otherwise - if aesthetics and price points are equivalent or comparable - I don't quite see the point of getting an annual if I can get a perpetual.post #41182 of 483122/19/15 at 11:10ampost #41183 of 483122/19/15 at 11:47am
Ya know, the contrast between the shiny cerachrom bezel and the matte dial of, say, the SD4000 receives much love. But I quite like the lacquered dial of the SubC's and how it complements the cerachrom bezel. My 114060 occupies a solid place in the rotation.post #41184 of 483122/19/15 at 12:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944Quote:
Yes, I've heard they are bringing it back. However, I had heard it will brought back, at least in the US as a Mercedes Benz and it will be a Maybach model. It will not be the Maybach brand.post #41185 of 483122/19/15 at 1:05pmThe Maybach was a ghastly, ill-conceived thing. Long, ugly, no redeeming features at all. Actually, it came in two lengths - too long, and way too f-cking long. Draw your own Freudian conclusions. I would take a Bentley every time, and I'd choose a Roller over a Maybach if I were forced to make that choice (which would be an odd thing to force someone to do). You see a lot of Bentleys and Rollers around London, but few Maybachs, and when I see one i marvel at how they managed to make such an expensive car look so cheap.post #41186 of 483122/19/15 at 1:12pmpost #41187 of 483122/19/15 at 1:16pmpost #41188 of 483122/19/15 at 1:20pmpost #41189 of 483122/19/15 at 1:21pmpost #41190 of 483122/19/15 at 1:22pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 51 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Essential odd jackets for the ocassional #menswearer 6 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Improper cleaning of my dress shoes 9 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 11 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...