or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2725  

post #40861 of 48312

Today was a fun day and resulted in the receipt of two watches.  Back in December I had bought a used JeanRichard Terrascope on a bracelet for a nice price, thinking that I could take the bracelet off of it and use it with my current Terrascope.  Then I'd sell the braceletless one and i'd be out maybe $300 for the bracelet instead of the new cost of $700.

 

Well, the pics of the watch did not show an accurate depiction of the condition of the watch, bracelet and head.  Reached a settlement with the buyer and decided that I would send it off to get polished.  Normally wouldn't do that to a nicer watch, but this one really needed it.  Sent it off to Goveberg repair and I must say, I am very happy with their work.  The watch head looks as nice as my original one did and the bracelet now just looks like it has standard ware on it.

 

It's hard to tell from the pics I took, but the worst of it was the top left edge of the bezel, it looked like it took quite a beating.  The service from Govberg took about a week longer than their initial estimate, but other than that, I'm pleased with the process and the work and I feel I'll comfortably be able to move this on.  (I no longer need the bracelet as I sold it in the process of getting the item in the next post).

 

 

And here is the pic from today:

post #40862 of 48312

More fun though...I mentioned the desire for a micro-adjustable bracelet.  After some shopping around I settled on a preowned watch that Govberg had in stock.  Thought about a couple other things and thought very hard about the GO 70's panodate, but decided on something that I liked almost as much, was cheaper and had a whole lot of other positive traits I was looking for.

 

Was able to negotiate a fair price and received the package today less than 24 hours later:

 

Came with some nice reading material:

 Original Box:

BAM, love the Glide lock clasp:

post #40863 of 48312
Interesting points, jb. Lets find him, put him on teh hot seat and grill him on the story, and then rob him.
post #40864 of 48312
Re the reddit story. Paul Newmans are $350k to a million now? Isn't that the most BS part of that story?
post #40865 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 518aata View Post

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never an issue with, or any concern about the durability of the lugs. 

Its a great wedding gift and more importantly if you are still together after 20 years you picked the right person.  I'm not saying it happens with all of them.  Simply that for what a new one costs today, it  it wouldn't make the cut for me because there is no reason for me to entertain a watch that has that type of weak point.  I would never have known this to be an issue except for standing at the counter when another customer brought in his 3919 with the watch in one hand and the lug in a ziplock bag.  When the guy left the AD said, that is why they generally recommend models with more solid lugs, as they had seen it happen before. 

 

Years ago these watches were a fraction of what they cost today.  When my dad bought a new Calatrava in 1994, ref 3998J the MSRP was $9,600 and the AD gave him a 40% discount so it was only $5,700.  But if I were shelling out today's money on one, I just wouldn't risk it. 

post #40866 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeis View Post

 

Was able to negotiate a fair price and received the package today less than 24 hours later:

 

BAM, love the Glide lock clasp:

Congrats!!!  I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it! :cheers: 

post #40867 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

The bay area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

Sheeeeeeit!  That is some coin but if someone is going from homeless to a Bay area for an apartment, don't you think a job would be in there somewhere or he would commute?  If I worked at McD's in the Bay area I would take the train a long distance before trying to pay $3,500 for an apartment downpayment.  Just seems fishy.


I love all gold watches.  Just something loud about them.  I like the two-tone Sub but then again I have lusted for that since before I knew what a Rolex was.  I do have a soft spot for a Rose Gold Daytona on Strap but like Dino says....get the bracelet version and a strap separate.



Haha this reminded me of:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303847804579479930243974564
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304022004577517022288672972
post #40868 of 48312

Great work, @pmeis, just such a perfect object.

 

(*sigh*)! 

post #40869 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Its a great wedding gift and more importantly if you are still together after 20 years you picked the right person.  I'm not saying it happens with all of them.  Simply that for what a new one costs today, it  it wouldn't make the cut for me because there is no reason for me to entertain a watch that has that type of weak point.  I would never have known this to be an issue except for standing at the counter when another customer brought in his 3919 with the watch in one hand and the lug in a ziplock bag.  When the guy left the AD said, that is why they generally recommend models with more solid lugs, as they had seen it happen before. 

Years ago these watches were a fraction of what they cost today.  When my dad bought a new Calatrava in 1994, ref 3998J the MSRP was $9,600 and the AD gave him a 40% discount so it was only $5,700.  But if I were shelling out today's money on one, I just wouldn't risk it. 

I'm certainly glad that hasn't happened to me, and given the cost to repair, maybe I should be a bit more careful! And I understand your reluctance to recommend buying a potentially delicate watch, especially given the prices Patek charges today. I haven't looked at the current price of the 3919 replacement, but I know it's multiples of what mine cost in 1995.
post #40870 of 48312
^ *sigh* indeed, @mimo. That's my favourite Submariner, I'd love to have it one day.

*sigh*
post #40871 of 48312
The only "gold" watch I would ever wear (not my photo):

post #40872 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Re the reddit story. Paul Newmans are $350k to a million now? Isn't that the most BS part of that story?

biggrin.gif You mean daytoba?

I thought the same thing but what do I know. I do know that there are a lot of people will believe anything they read on the internet without any supporting evidence like a photo maybe.
post #40873 of 48312
Experts say that prices indeed have increased that much.

What happened next you wouldn't believe.
post #40874 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

The only "gold" watch I would ever wear (not my photo):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Love
post #40875 of 48312
Thoughts on Breguet Classique 5177? It looks much nicer in this photo below than in stock photos.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)