Incoming tomorrow, a watch with a micro adjustable bracelet!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 5:09 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2722post #40816 of 483122/9/15 at 1:50pmpost #40817 of 483122/9/15 at 3:15pmDo any of you buy second hand watches? If so, do you have any advice? With the euro plumetting I'm eyeing out duty free watches when I fly to the continent. But they are still a little steep for me (at least the ones worth buying!). Any pointers on where to buy second hand watches around Europe on or offline would be interesting.post #40818 of 483122/9/15 at 4:23pmpost #40819 of 483122/9/15 at 4:44pmpost #40820 of 483122/9/15 at 4:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by ML594806
Do any of you buy second hand watches? If so, do you have any advice? With the euro plumetting I'm eyeing out duty free watches when I fly to the continent. But they are still a little steep for me (at least the ones worth buying!). Any pointers on where to buy second hand watches around Europe on or offline would be interesting.
AFAIK, if you purchase second-hand, there is no ability to get a VAT refund (to the extent that VAT is charged). I'd look for deals on brand new watches at ADs in Eurozone countries--I'm about to make a purchase myself, and in addition to negotiating a decent discount, the strong dollar and the VAT refund made it an offer I simply couldn't refuse. With the strong dollar, VAT refund and a modest discount, you should be able to get at least 25-30% off US prices.post #40821 of 483122/9/15 at 5:11pmpost #40822 of 483122/9/15 at 6:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
Once the original warranty expires then it wouldn't actually matter whether the watch had its papers or came from a gray market shop vs. a gray dealer. At that point the service wouldn't be free even if a person had the papers. I generally stick with official service centers.
I dont know of anyone in the DC area, but if you know of a good place, I am not sold on it needing to be an official service center, though the peace of mind is nice.post #40823 of 483122/9/15 at 6:36pmQuote:
With some watches I'd probably be willing to use a trusted watch maker, others I wouldn't let anyone other than a factory service center touch the watch.post #40824 of 483122/9/15 at 6:38pmQuote:
Wow, that's news. Years ago AP reduced prices for about a year or so but they quickly raised them again. I've never heard of Patek adjusting prices downward. Any idea by what percentage prices will decrease in the States?post #40825 of 483122/9/15 at 6:43pmpost #40826 of 483122/9/15 at 7:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
I'm not a fan of the hobnail on the Patek, however it will hide scratches better than a smooth bezel. However, I suppose if you accidentally ding the bezel, there is nothing they can do to fix it. Sometimes on a smooth bezel if its not too deep it can be polished.
However, my reason for not favoring that Patek are the lugs, which as Dopey recalls I have mentioned them not being very sturdy. I was in a Patek dealer once when an owner was bringing that same model in with the lug broken clean off from accidental contact with a door frame. When the guy left the dealer told me its rather common with that model and it can be soldered back on, but it will likely happen again so he wouldn't recommend that model or style of case and lug from Patek.
For that reason the Lange would be my choice between those 2. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I'm pretty careful and I doubt it breaks that easily. Wouldn't they have revised it by now?post #40827 of 483122/9/15 at 7:55pmpost #40828 of 483122/10/15 at 1:26amhttp://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2va35a/from_living_in_my_car_to_a_ton_of_money/
Guy finds 4 watches at an estate auction, uses his meagre life savings to buy them.
Includes 2 Paul Newman daytonas
So I guess im technically homeless becase I have been living in my car for the last month, but I just cant afford a place to stay while Ive been saving up for the deposit on a new apt. I have been very into vintage watches for many years. Never really had enough money for something nice. I saw some eatate sale signs the other day and thought Id check it out for fun. I discovered that there were a bunch of really old beat up Rolex watches there. I recognized that they were pretty valuable. I know it wasnt the smartest thing of me, but I took the 3500 I had saved for my new apt and bought the 4 watches. I took them too a really awesome local vintage watch buyer/seller in my area to see what I could sell them for. Two of the watches are what are known as paul newman daytobas. I knew when I had first bought them that they were very valuable, but it turns out that one of them is worth around 350k and the other one usually sells for around a million at auction.
Edited by skeen7908 - 2/10/15 at 1:53ampost #40829 of 483122/10/15 at 1:46amQuote:
The Swiss franc has increased it´s value dramatically since it abandoned the cap against the euro. So the price increase in Europe was to be expected. But it´s also gained value against the USD and Yuan (and every currency in the book really), so I don´t know what´s motivated the decrease elsewhere. They might be trying to balance sales in upward trending markets to recoup a sales decrease in Europe. I´m speculating wildly here, of course, I have no idea of how they are performing in each market.post #40830 of 483122/10/15 at 1:49amQuote:Originally Posted by gopherblue
AFAIK, if you purchase second-hand, there is no ability to get a VAT refund (to the extent that VAT is charged). I'd look for deals on brand new watches at ADs in Eurozone countries--I'm about to make a purchase myself, and in addition to negotiating a decent discount, the strong dollar and the VAT refund made it an offer I simply couldn't refuse. With the strong dollar, VAT refund and a modest discount, you should be able to get at least 25-30% off US prices.
Any second hand sale is VAT free. I used to be a member of the biggest watch forum in Spain, and they do have a second hand market going on, so I could take a look. I´ve been looking at a Portuguese chronograph for some time now... If I decide to pullthe trigger I´ll post the outcome.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 43 seconds ago
- › Affordable and minimalist timepieces by MAVEN WATCHES 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 13 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 15 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 18 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 25 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 27 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 30 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 37 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...