Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:09 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:43 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 2720post #40786 of 483122/9/15 at 8:04ampost #40787 of 483122/9/15 at 8:10ampost #40788 of 483122/9/15 at 8:41ampost #40789 of 483122/9/15 at 9:04amQuote:Both are nice but I greatly prefer the Patek on aesthetic grounds (I don't know anything about the movements). But I recall Dino mentioning issues with the sturdiness of the Patek lugs on that model.
In general, Roman numeral dials don't appeal to me because they can seem crowded and clumsy - the Calatrava is an example of one done beautifully that I really like. It is cleaner than the Lange which is more cluttered with the minute track and the stepped dial.
One thing I noticed is that neither flips the numerals for 4-8 to vertical. I always look for that, but mostly out of curiosity as I can't decide whether I prefer the numerals flipped or not.post #40790 of 483122/9/15 at 9:05ampost #40791 of 483122/9/15 at 9:18ampost #40792 of 483122/9/15 at 9:19amHopefully you would "baby" either one of them, with all of the love and care that they deserve....but between those two, I think I'd choose the Lange myself. That's mainly based on dial, I guess. It just seems a little more fresh somehow.
Never did love the Patek hobnail, and there are some other Calatavas I'd rather own than that particular model. (*5196J for instance).
But hey, they're both great, heirloom-quality dress watches.
Good luck!post #40793 of 483122/9/15 at 9:22ampost #40794 of 483122/9/15 at 9:23ampost #40795 of 483122/9/15 at 9:33am
36mm is too small for me but I'm 6'1'' 225 lbs so it might work for you. Give or take, 38 is really the lower limit for me.
The Patek also suffers from tiny movement for the case size syndrome imo. The sub seconds are jammed way up towards the center of the dial. Hobnail is a bit stuffy too.
Still, a beautiful and classic watch of course. Just not for me.
I like the Richard Lange more, still less dressy and therefore more versatile and also in a modern size of 40mm. Finishing is amazing on the movement, a step better than their lower level stuff like the 1815 but is largestly covered by the 3/4 plate, which some people love. I don't particularly like it, other than its historical connotations, because it covers up a lot of the beautiful movement.
Nevertheless, between the two I'd pick the Richard Lange.post #40796 of 483122/9/15 at 9:34ampost #40797 of 483122/9/15 at 9:43amQuote:
I'm not a fan of the hobnail on the Patek, however it will hide scratches better than a smooth bezel. However, I suppose if you accidentally ding the bezel, there is nothing they can do to fix it. Sometimes on a smooth bezel if its not too deep it can be polished.
However, my reason for not favoring that Patek are the lugs, which as Dopey recalls I have mentioned them not being very sturdy. I was in a Patek dealer once when an owner was bringing that same model in with the lug broken clean off from accidental contact with a door frame. When the guy left the dealer told me its rather common with that model and it can be soldered back on, but it will likely happen again so he wouldn't recommend that model or style of case and lug from Patek.
For that reason the Lange would be my choice between those 2. Good luck with whatever you decide.post #40798 of 483122/9/15 at 9:53ampost #40799 of 483122/9/15 at 10:00am
I like them both..the sub seconds on the Calatrava is so delicate. It really is extremely pretty. But my heart belongs to the Lange - in platinum. I'm slightly biased not just because I love Lange, but because I've played with that one in person more than once, and it's become a grail for me.post #40800 of 483122/9/15 at 10:02am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 8 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 47 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Fall closet cleaning! TIES bundle 5 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 5 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...